Quantcast The Anna & Elsa Problem

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Anna & Elsa Problem

For months there have been waits for over three hours for the Anna & Elsa Meet & Greet at EPCOT.

And just this morning I see that now that Anna & Elsa are meeting guests at Princess Fairytale Hall in the Magic Kingdom, the wait time posted was FOUR HOURS.

That is ridiculous.

For something this popular, Disney should take action. There's no reason they cannot put two (or three) sets of Anna & Elsa to be meeting guests simultaneously (not in the same room of course) -but something temporary could be arranged if they would think about it. With popular rides, they are stuck with the wait times because you cannot quickly duplicate the ride next to the existing ride, but for Meet & Greets, is Disney really that cheap to not have more than one pair of "Anna and Elsa" working at one time?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Was in WDW last week - prime spring break time! Got to MK at 8am when it opened, saw Elsa and Anna in 15 minutes!

However, passed Norway at 3 in the afternoon - ridiculous wait!

If you plan accordingly, you will be FINE!
    Disneyluva

March 16 WDW off property
    April 15 DLR
    Feb 15 WDW off prorpety
    April 14 DCL and AKL
    March 13 DCL
    March 12 BC
    August 11 ASM
    January 10 GF
    April 09 BC
    November 06 GF
    January 05 GF
    February 98 Contemporary
    1978-1994 Many off Properties

Post Thanks / Like

This happens all the time with "new" characters. I remember hours long waits for Tiana and Merida when they first started appearing too. Just crazy!

I don't know why Disney doesn't find a better way to deal with the demand for the newest characters, it becomes the "hot ticket" thing to do first thing when you get to the park. (That's how we met Tiana and Merida ... crazy dash to a character! )
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Disney's policy from all the way back to the days of Walt has been strict avoidance of situations where there are obviously multiple sets of the same characters in two different locations in close proximity / the same park at the same time. Having multiple rooms with Anna & Elsa or multiple locations in MK to meet Anna & Elsa would go against everything they've done for decades so I'd be shocked if it happened.

I'm planning to try it one of these days by being there at rope drop, I'll see how it goes. But even if the wait is long I don't think that means they need to shorten it for my convenience. They've got a great thing in Frozen, they don't wait to risk ruining it through oversaturation.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why they don't simply set up Anna/Elsa M&G locations at ALL the parks, at least for a little while. I mean, it seems like a no brainer.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Disney's policy from all the way back to the days of Walt has been strict avoidance of situations where there are obviously multiple sets of the same characters in two different locations in close proximity / the same park at the same time. Having multiple rooms with Anna & Elsa or multiple locations in MK to meet Anna & Elsa would go against everything they've done for decades so I'd be shocked if it happened.

I'm planning to try it one of these days by being there at rope drop, I'll see how it goes. But even if the wait is long I don't think that means they need to shorten it for my convenience. They've got a great thing in Frozen, they don't wait to risk ruining it through oversaturation.

Don't they do that with Little Mermaid though in the new Fantasy Land expansion.

In 2012 our first night we weren't sure if we were going to the parks after flying in, but opted to do MK of course. We ended up seeing Ariel, but because we hadn't planned it, we didn't bring the kids autograph books. Near the end of our visit, the lines weren't bad so we saw Ariel again to get her autograph, but I got confused because I was certain we went into her grotto from a different direction. Which then it dawned on me, they can have her in two places, unseen one by the other. At least that is what I assumed was a/o could happen in peak times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Don't they do that with Little Mermaid though in the new Fantasy Land expansion.

In 2012 our first night we weren't sure if we were going to the parks after flying in, but opted to do MK of course. We ended up seeing Ariel, but because we hadn't planned it, we didn't bring the kids autograph books. Near the end of our visit, the lines weren't bad so we saw Ariel again to get her autograph, but I got confused because I was certain we went into her grotto from a different direction. Which then it dawned on me, they can have her in two places, unseen one by the other. At least that is what I assumed was a/o could happen in peak times.
    They actually already do this at several locations. Princess Fairytale Hall, Town Square Theater, Ariel's Grotto, Epcot Character Hall (not 100% sure on this one) are all reported to have multiple rooms.

That is why you wait in multiple place. You wait in the first line and are brought to a holding spot and then taken the next available room. No one can see the other room so it looks like there is only one character meeting at a time.

I have no ideas how many rooms there are but it is more than one at these locations. Another factor of course is how many cast members are trained to be Elsa and Anna.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

As with anything you do at WDW, planning is the key. Use the new FP+ and it works just fine. Otherwise complaining about the fact that every little girl wants to meet the new characters and WDW isnt doing anything about it rings hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

They do it with the talking Magician Mickey in MK. There are separate rooms. They could probably pretty easily do it for Anna and Elsa.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Just use your fast pass+ option and you should be in right away. Also, the Epcot character spot does not have multiple rooms as stated above. They're just sections and no duplicate characters.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Jun-Jul 14 - ASSp
    Jun 15 - Pop
    Aug 15 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Disney's policy from all the way back to the days of Walt has been strict avoidance of situations where there are obviously multiple sets of the same characters in two different locations in close proximity . . .

The ONLY exception is having "Two Chips" in the same area.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler alert: It's a nice myth, but not true. Sorry to burst your image of WDW, but as others have pointed out, in multiple character locations there are a few different rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already doing multiple rooms in Fairytale Hall.
    If getting that picture/autograph is that important to you, use a FP+ or get there at ropedrop. There's not much else WDW can do to control the amount of people that want to see Elsa & Anna. As others have said, it's a fad and will pass...
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    They do it with the talking Magician Mickey in MK. There are separate rooms. They could probably pretty easily do it for Anna and Elsa.
    I would think it would be A LOT harder to cast the face characters than the costumed characters, then multiply that process by several for multiple locations and the many shifts involved. There's a lot more involvement with voice and acting and interaction with guests, and you do have to get it as close as possible.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Another prime example of this would be at Mickey's House in Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland Park! They have guests queue up in Mickey's Movie Barn/Screening Room and then the CM opens the door and lets a small group of guests into one of the several rooms containing a Mickey in it. However, with that one they have several different versions of Mickey in each room (Sorcerer, Steamboat Willie, Regular Tuxedo, etc.). Personally, I thought this was a really smart way of handling things!
    We all have sparks, imaginations.
    That's how our minds, create creations.
    For they make, our wildest dreams come true.
    Those magic sparks, in me and you. ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natedog24 View Post
    Spoiler alert: It's a nice myth, but not true. Sorry to burst your image of WDW, but as others have pointed out, in multiple character locations there are a few different rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already doing multiple rooms in Fairytale Hall.
    If getting that picture/autograph is that important to you, use a FP+ or get there at ropedrop. There's not much else WDW can do to control the amount of people that want to see Elsa & Anna. As others have said, it's a fad and will pass...
    I think the WDW idea is that you wouldn't run into the same character and ruin the illusion. having 2 rooms solves that, as most people don't realize there is a second room to be filtered into. More like...I just stood in line to meet Mickey, and then saw him walking past me. Thats a "no-no". We saw Mickey a few years ago in Town Square, and walked out as the parade was going past. my DD saw mickey and asked how he could be in the parade. a cm standing nearby saved the magic and told her she was the last kid he saw before using his magic to hop on the parade float. She was only 3, so it was an easy save. But thats the idea behind not having multiple greeting locations in the same park.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
    I think the WDW idea is that you wouldn't run into the same character and ruin the illusion. having 2 rooms solves that, as most people don't realize there is a second room to be filtered into. More like...I just stood in line to meet Mickey, and then saw him walking past me. Thats a "no-no". We saw Mickey a few years ago in Town Square, and walked out as the parade was going past. my DD saw mickey and asked how he could be in the parade. a cm standing nearby saved the magic and told her she was the last kid he saw before using his magic to hop on the parade float. She was only 3, so it was an easy save. But thats the idea behind not having multiple greeting locations in the same park.
    Agree 100%. That's why the utilidors are there. The old story of Walt seeing a Tomorrowland Cast Member walk through Frontierland is a prime example. Same thing with characters. Definitely don't want to see Mickey and his unknown twin brother/stunt double Mackey in the same place at the same time. Having them in separate rooms solves that and is something WDW does on a regular basis.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone is taking a very simplistic view of the situation. There are multiple factors in play:
    1. The popularity of the characters. I doubt even Disney expected the rush of popularity for these characters and have been told as much.
    2. Limited resources to pull off multiple face characters at one time
    3. Limited area to have these characters present and not create issues.

The result was to allow FP+. If you dont want to stand in line but the little one is insistent she see them, use a FP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylovescompany View Post
    I think everyone is taking a very simplistic view of the situation. There are multiple factors in play:
    1. The popularity of the characters. I doubt even Disney expected the rush of popularity for these characters and have been told as much.
    2. Limited resources to pull off multiple face characters at one time
    3. Limited area to have these characters present and not create issues.

The result was to allow FP+. If you dont want to stand in line but the little one is insistent she see them, use a FP.
    Simplistic, but true nonetheless. Trust me... Having a few extra Annas and Elsas isn't that hard to do. Also, the 2 room scenario already exists at WDW.

Actually, just saying "get a FP" is almost a more simplistic view... Those things are as difficult to get as a Wonka golden ticket sometimes, especially if you can only go on certain days of your trip.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is how people can get into a line when the time says 3, 4 or 5 hours.

There has to be a breaking point. For me, an hour wait is too long for most things. When you are getting to five hours, you are killing most of your day for that one attraction.

But I would have no problem telling my daughter, sorry, we can't see Elsa and Anna today. Yes, I may be dealing with a melt-down, but the time the melt-down lasts is small compared to a three hour plus wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    What I don't get is how people can get into a line when the time says 3, 4 or 5 hours.

There has to be a breaking point. For me, an hour wait is too long for most things. When you are getting to five hours, you are killing most of your day for that one attraction.
    I'm agree with this. At some point, don't people say, "I'm not spending literally half of my day in Walt Disney World waiting in line for a picture with a character."
    At the same time, I do LOVE the fact there's a long wait. Because every single person that is line to meet these characters aren't in line for other attractions that I'd like to go on, making the lines for everything else just a tiny bit shorter...
    -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: