Quantcast First night dinner ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First night dinner ?

I will be able to make our ADRs on June 24. Trying to decide where to eat on our first night. We WON'T be going into a park that day and we're on the dining plan. We are a family of 7 - Mom, Dad, 3 young adult DDds and 2 teen DSs. We are not opposed to character meals. We usually do Hoop Dee Doo our first night, but DH wants to try something else. Suggestions please.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually go to either Downtown Disney or a resort on our first night. Some of our choices have been:
    Boatwrights at POR
    Ohana
    TRex
    Paradiso 37
    Captain's Grille at YC
    Maya Grille at CBR
    Ragland Road
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

That would be sort of hard to pass up the Hoop for the first night. It's just a perfect "Welcome to Disney" opener. But I do understand wanting something different too. The Luau (Spirit of Aloha) might be a good switch. The atmosphere is nice and welcoming and very tropical and sorts. It's a good vacation welcoming opener too. It gets a bad rep sometimes but I still say it's fun, enjoyable, and good. There's always Ohana at the Polynesian as well. Whispering Canyon, Boma- Flavors of Africa, and TRex at DTD might be cool too. Oh, and I almost forgot, there's always the Hoop :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Since we usually arrive late afternoon we don't go the parks the first day either. We always go to DTD and eat at Wolfgang Puck express but I think we'll try Earl of Sandwich this time. That way we save a TS for either a character breakfast the day we check out or put it with another TS credit for a signature meal.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

This will be the first time, in like 20+ visits, that we are not going to a park on day of arrival.

We are heading to DTD and going to try the Earl of Sandwich for the very first time. I've heard nothing but great reviews on this place
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

We always do Ohana on our first night, ALWAYS!!!

It's a great "you are in Disney" first meal. Follow it up with a spin on the monorail, wishes from one of the monorail resort's, and you have a great first night to kick off your trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

What about Chef Mickey's!

Post Thanks / Like

How about California Grill in time for Wishes to get the Disney juices flowing?
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

We did 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian last fall, but I don't know if your DSs would be so thrilled with the princess characters.

Ohana would be an excellent choice, as you can try to time your ADR so that you are done eating in time to watch/listen to Wishes from the beach at the Poly. That's what I'd do with personally.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

If you aren't going to a park your first day, then a resort restaurat or DTD would be a good choice. Hop Dee Doo is a great arrival meal to kick start the trip and is also a great send off at the end of a trip!

Here are my suggestions-
    Ohana
    Cape May Cafe (this is our arrival day dinner!)
    Raglan Road
    Kona
    Boatwrights (we stay at Port Orleans and this is a great place for dinner at our resort)
    Chef Mickeys

Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cape May Cafe is our arrival day dinner in October as well...it's a great deal if you're on the dining plan, and it's a nice atmosphere in the evening with the Boardwalk, etc. around. Also, we've learned that if you're not going to a park, it's still pretty easy to get to (go to HS and take the boat over) which makes it a little less stressful that all that bussing around.

Of course, it is a bit seafood intensive...if everyone's ok with that...
    B.S. Arch, UM TCAUP '03

"When you're sitting on a hot cinder, a second seems like an hour, but when you're courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

I never do much the first night... Earl of Sandwich for me on my first night... Become sort of a tradition the last few years... Book Bay Lake Tower, park view... Get in, unpack, relax, shower, change, head to DTD... Get Earl of Sandwich, back to room... Sit on balcony and watch the fireworks (either Wishes or HalloWishes cause I usually head down in October, depending what day I arrive and if MNSSHP is that night or not)...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider eating at your home resort on your first night. The food courts or sit down restaurants are a great place to soak up the flavor of the resort.

If you want to resort hop on your first night, I'd consider the CA Grill, O'hana, Sanaa, or Artist Point. The first two would be a little too close to the MK for me on a non park day. The latter two are great ways to immerse you in the Disney experience, too!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I second the idea of eating at your resort! For the first time, that's our plan for this trip, and we're actually rather looking forward to it. Time to swim, to settle in and then a nice meal to end out the day. We're at Port Orleans, and Boatwright's has always served us a super meal.

When we do visit other resorts, AoA is one of our favourites if you're looking for counter service and Whispering Canyon at WL is a good time for table service.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: