Quantcast Should we not stay at Poly in August?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should we not stay at Poly in August?

We know Poly is under construction for DVD. However, we do not know the extent of the construction. Are things closed - like pools, food areas, certain room areas, monorail, etc. Please inform. Should we go with another resort?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would probably avoid staying here at the moment. The whole area outside looks like a huge mess. When we were at Disney last month, it appeared that the pool areas and part of the beach were unaffected. However, they were beginning to put up boards in the lobby area of the main building which I would guess, marks the beginning of construction in the atrium area.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Linda and I personally would not stay there until the DVC construction is done.

The Volcano pool is scheduled to close on July 28th, so it will be closed during your stay as well. They are offering a 1 day ticket to Blizzard Beach as a substitute. I don't think is a great trade, especially if you like to enjoy the resort pool more than 1 day on your trip.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We have ressies for Kona Cafe at the end of June - should I look to change to a different place?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try to avoid staying there with the construction going on.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I would not stay during construction. I think with so much going on there it will take away from the beauty and magic of the place. Especially when you consider how expensive the rooms are you are not getting your full monies worth.

I will be 50 in March and it is our 25th wedding anniversary. I have been wanting to stay at Poly since I was a little girl and it has been on my bucket list. I wanted to stay next year for these two big occasions but we are going to wait because I want it to be perfect.

If you like the tropical/caribbean feel then maybe try Caribbean Beach this time. It is beautiful there. I know it is a step down from Poly but again for what you are spending you won't be getting the true feel of the resort.
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan09 View Post
    We have ressies for Kona Cafe at the end of June - should I look to change to a different place?
    We went to Kona last month even though I was hesitant about doing so. I was glad I went as I'm sure it was my last chance to see the lobby as it has already looked. Given that they had put up a wall on the upper level on the monorail side, I'm not sure what it is looking like now and am not sure what construction will be occurring in the main building by the end of this month.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much! I may try to find a different spot for dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the responses. Well, sadly, I need to change Poly reservation. It looks like my next choice, WL, is filled with Poly people! No room. Now, to find another resort.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Magic Kingdom view at the Contemporary would be awesome to try. Good luck, I am sure whatever you pick you will have a fantastic trip!
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

Post Thanks / Like

We were there this weekend June 1st and ate at both Kona and Ohana during our stay. They were both fantastic as always so I wouldn't cancel a reservation to eat they are both still great. The Lobby is one big wall as is most of the resort. The only way I would stay there is if they made it really cheap. I would stay then just because of the location and monorail. The entire resort really is a mess right now. At least they are going to get all the construction over with at one time.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would still keep reservations to eat there but I would not suggest staying there from August to next March while the whole middle of the resort is torn up and walled off. The affected area will be the same from the GCH all the way to most of the beach as it was in 2000, the last time there was construction.
    Last edited by Hammer; 06-05-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: removed link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoDisney View Post
    Thank you for all the responses. Well, sadly, I need to change Poly reservation. It looks like my next choice, WL, is filled with Poly people! No room. Now, to find another resort.
    We are one of them! Lol

I did read that the pool will be closing too, not sure when but we weretthere in the fall & the beach was all under consrruction
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I would not stay there during the construction with most things closing and walls up everywhere and noise. I'm surprised they are not discounting the rooms during all of this for those who don't mind these things going on. For the amount it costs to stay there... no way josė!!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
    I would still keep reservations to eat there but I would not suggest staying there from August to next March while the whole middle of the resort is torn up and walled off. The affected area will be the same from the GCH all the way to most of the beach as it was in 2000, the last time there was construction.
    I read your June updates on Tikiman Pages. All I can say is what a mess! I can't even imagine not deep;y discount the rooms with everything upside down. I feel sorry for those traveling that are not aware of the state of the hotel.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who is there right now. I just spoke with her, and she said that she could pack up tonight and move back to AoA, where she's stayed her past two trips. She paid full price for her package with Deluxe Dining, and is not happy at all. She said that Disney sent her a letter telling her that there would be some construction, but she never imagined that everything would be so walled off. She said that each day there is a new wall or barricade. Also, she said that the construction workers were rude. I cannot even imagine being there once the pool area is closed.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    I have a friend who is there right now. I just spoke with her, and she said that she could pack up tonight and move back to AoA, where she's stayed her past two trips. She paid full price for her package with Deluxe Dining, and is not happy at all. She said that Disney sent her a letter telling her that there would be some construction, but she never imagined that everything would be so walled off. She said that each day there is a new wall or barricade. Also, she said that the construction workers were rude. I cannot even imagine being there once the pool area is closed.
    You should tell your friend to request a switch to another deluxe resort. I would and I have heard of people doing just that. There is no reason to stay somewhere that you hate and do not feel it is worth the money. Particularly when paying full price...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted her this morning and suggested that she request to be moved to another resort. Unfortunately, they are leaving tomorrow, so it isn't worth moving for a day. I'm afraid there are going to be a lot of disappointed people caught by surprise.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

As much as it pains me to say it, I think I would stay at a different resort if I was going in August. The Poly is my absolute favorite WDW resort, and I usually sing its praises to anyone who will listen, but I just got back from a WDW trip and saw it for myself. We visited the Poly a few times, once to eat at Kona, and it honestly is just a mess right now. There's so much construction going on everywhere you look and it does detract from the beautiful landscaping and tropical atmosphere, IMHO. The lobby is just downright sad. All you see is walls. And while they tried to "spruce up" the huge walls with plants and cutouts of Lilo and Stitch, it doesn't really help. It just looks kind of silly. We visited the poly during the day once and walked around the grounds outside. The construction noise was very noticeable. Not overly loud, but definitely noticeable and it took away a bit from the calm, peaceful feel of the resort. It just wasn't the same Poly I've come to love. I was happy to find that the smell inside the lobby was the same!

I don't think I would cancel dining reservations at the Poly, but I don't think I would want to spend the money it takes to stay in a room there for what you'd get right now. Especially once construction starts on the pool. I can't imagine how much that's going to disrupt things!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: