Quantcast Shame on you Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shame on you Disney

Just got back from 7 days in WDW and I am extremely disappointed in Disney surrounding the character meet and greet for Anna and Elsa. 3 to 4 hour wait times are not uncommon. DW and DD waited for 3 hrs and 15 minutes to meet them. Only one park has meet and greets, and countless little girls are being disappointed by not being able to meet them. For $100 a person a day, I expect more from Disney than this.

Fast Pass plus is also a major bummer for those people who like to wing it at the parks. Don't expect to get a single fast pass for an e ride attraction if you are a day guest or someone who doesn't like to plan. I feel really sorry for first timers. To me, at least the old fast pass system was fair, now it is not due to non planners and first timers having to wait stand by while others zoom through the fast pass line. At least the old system rewarded guests who arrived early and got the fast passes for the rides they wanted. Better do weeks in advance now or wait.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '04 Dolphin / Grand Floridan
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '12 Wilderness Lodge (January/February)
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

I see what you saying, but I disagree. Dining reservations are totally different than fast passes. If I want to wing it for dining, then you are correct that I shouldn't expect a reservation, by calling the day of my park attendance. However, with a fast pass system that is fair and works, I could absolutely expect to get a fast pass the same day for just about any attraction I wanted. As a matter of fact, I can't remember a single in all my past trips that I wasn't able to get a fast pass for any ride or attraction that I wanted one for.

Say what you will about lines for Anna and Elsa, but Disney is disappointing a lot of small children who are wishing to meet Anna and Elsa. The children who are getting to meet them, have angry and frustrated parents. Again, for $100 per day per guest, I expect more from Disney. Give me value for my money and I will keep coming back. Spending 4 hours in line to meet your princesses is not a value, we only did this to keep our daughter from being disappointed. There are ways to reduce this wait time.

Add extra greetings and eliminating fast passes are a couple that come to mind.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say I disagree with you on both points.

I hear there isn't just one Anna and Elsa meet and greet- meaning you might not get the same pair that the people in line behind you get. But they can't have multiple meet and greets for the same two characters in the same park at the same time. It kills the illusion.
    You can't fault disney for having an attraction that is extremely popular. That is a good thing.
    Do you suggest they build 2 Toy Story Manias or 2 Mine Trains?

Why do you fault fastpass+ for not benefitting the non-planners? Fault the non-planners for not planning. Do you spend thousands of dollars for your vacation and then just show up, without having read a thing about the place? Everybody's gotta do a little research, and if not- great to those that do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    You seem to be saying the old "First come, first serve" system was better; I don't, for that very reason. Some of us don't come first, and on vacation, some of us don't want to.
    I would agree with this. I'd rather book a few fp's 30 days out than race to the parks at 9 and then literally race people to get fp's or else, not ride anything at all, TSM for example. The first come first serve system IMO rewards "craziness" for lack of a better word. it rewards people who are wiling to line up/show up way too early for things in order to be first, or get more fp's. I find the new system to be more fair, than the old system where people would horde fp's all day, collect about 30, then use them later in the day (before the return time was enforced) thats when I felt bad for non-planners and first-timers, because then they didn't know the choice was "show up for rope drop or sacrifice your day in that park."
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I will tackle your Fastpass+ complaint first. I still don't think we have seen this system in all its glory yet. I still envision where we will get to plan our whole day, including those who are not planners. The day where we arrive at the park, decide we want to ride this, this and this, and eat here. And the wonderful computer spits out our schedule.

As far as the Frozen characters go, we all have choices. Your daughter chose to wait for them, just like I may choose to wait 3 hours to ride Space Mountain. Is either the right choice? Probably not, but that is what was important to each individual.

I don't know how many young women are playing the Anna and Elsa characters at WDW, but they may not have enough to provide them at the other parks.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the line for the frozen meet and greet is insane, but really; what is the solution?
    Disney won't have more than one meet and greet of the same characters in the same park. As has been mentioned, this would kill the illusion.
    Having a frozen meet and greet in all four parks will only result in one thing: A three hour wait at four different parks.

As far as the FP+ destruction of spontaneity argument; I never bought into it. You aren't bound to a schedule by some invisible chain of zip ties. If you want to change plans on a whim, you are capable of changing them. Sure, you may not be able to get a fastpass for Soarin' because you decided alter your plans, but that doesn't mean you can't ride it. It's not FP+'s fault that we refuse to stand in line for over XX minutes.

And don't forget, in most cases, first timers thought you had to pay for the old fast passes. The first timer that fails to plan today is really no different than the first timer who failed to plan two years ago.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Frozen characters have proven to be so popular I think Dsney needs to step up and make them more available. A co-worker who is a seasoned WDW visitor waited over 4 hours with her 9 year old sister. It isn't just the little kids that want to see them.

A character meal at Epcot, a meal outside the parks and maybe another meet and greet. Give the fans what they want. For $100 a day park admission it seems WDW could make these characters more available.

As far as FP+ I like the new system. I think they will continue to improve it. While not perfect, I think if you really want to ride or see an attraction, you can. With the old system, I went several trips not being able to get on Toy Story Mania and Peter Pan ( no FP's available ). With the new system, I have gotten on each time.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    I think Dsney needs to step up and make them more available. A co-worker who is a seasoned WDW visitor waited over 4 hours with her 9 year old sister.
    From what I have seen and read, the sisters had only been available from 9am - 5pm. Now, they're available all day long, until the park closes. Hopefully, that will relieve some of the long lines.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mark, I truly dislike the FP+. I think it doesn't allow for impromptu decisions based on weather, crowds, etc. I may book my FPs x-months out for Epcot. That day may be a rainy day. I prefer to go to MGM on rainy days.

But nothing we can do about it. Stuck w/ it, and all these are gadgets people "must" have now. I hate the bracelets in general.

Well, there is always DL.. J/K... That is truly a nightmare.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyman42 View Post
    I would agree with this. I'd rather book a few fp's 30 days out than race to the parks at 9 and then literally race people to get fp's or else, not ride anything at all, TSM for example. The first come first serve system IMO rewards "craziness" for lack of a better word. it rewards people who are wiling to line up/show up way too early for things in order to be first, or get more fp's. I find the new system to be more fair, than the old system where people would horde fp's all day, collect about 30, then use them later in the day (before the return time was enforced) thats when I felt bad for non-planners and first-timers, because then they didn't know the choice was "show up for rope drop or sacrifice your day in that park."
    Bolding mine

I have to agree! We are riding Soarin for the first time in several trips because I refuse to race there just to get a shorter wait time for fast pass. Now with the ability to plan a few months in advance I know we will have the chance to ride the ride.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyman42 View Post
    Totally agree, isn't rope drop just really "One More Line" to wait in....

The stress of getting there on time just to wait, then run and get the fast pass for the ride YOU ARE STANDING IN FRONT OF RIGHT NOW!!! never was fun, good or looked forward to by my family.
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruegge View Post
    Totally agree, isn't rope drop just really "One More Line" to wait in....

The stress of getting there on time just to wait, then run and get the fast pass for the ride YOU ARE STANDING IN FRONT OF RIGHT NOW!!! never was fun, good or looked forward to by my family.
    I have never arrived at rope drop, and again, I have never been turned away from getting a fast pass for TSM, Peter Pan, or Soarin. I have found fast passes available for these rides as late as noon......granted they were for late in the day, but still I was able to get them. Some people like me, don't even decide we want to go to to Disney in 60 days advance notice. What does the AP pass holder or Florida resident do? If you live in Orlando, should you have to plan your day trip to Disney well in advance of going.

Also, I never suggested multiple meet and greets in one park, but you can't tell me you can't have 1 line with multiple rooms/sets of characters. You also can't tell me that they can't incorporate Anna and Elsa into a character meal or add another meet and greet in Epcot. This will not just add another 3 hour line. It will give patrons a choice of where to see the characters and will result in shorter wait times.
    '91 Grand Floridian
    '01 Caribbean Beach
    '02 Grand Floridian
    '03 Coronado Springs
    '07 Caribbean Beach
    '07 Disneyland
    '09 Caribbean Beach
    '10 Caribbean Beach
    '11 Pop Century
    '13 Off Site Rental Home
    '14 Off Site Condo

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about the wait times for Anna and Elsa, and I agree with you that it's not good. My kids are older and this doesn't affect me, but I wouldn't want to be the parent that tells a young fan, "no, sorry, the line is too long." I think they need to add Anna and Elsa meet and greets in other parks/locations.

Also, yes, spontaneity is compromised with the new FP system and first time visitors who want to see it all (or as much as possible) should plan ahead. But for return visitors, I feel like I can still have some spontaneity. Your FPs can be changed and it's only the really major rides like Soarin that I might not get on without some planning. But, at this point, I'm okay with not riding everything on every trip. Or with waiting in line occasionally. And first time visitors should probably plan ahead anyway if they want to optimize their time, so... I actually really like the new system. No running here and there to get Fastpasses and then backtracking to ride later. I think once it's really tweaked and optimized, it's going to be great.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The Anna and Elsa lines are insane but they are new too and I think Disney is trying to adjust. They did extend the hours recently and for all we know may be trying to find them an additional home. When they were first introduced I had read that because they are face characters they need to hire for that position. Maybe they just should have waited until they had enough positions filled.

As far as FP, we've used them and like them. Since I have an AP I just went and checked what was still available for a party of 4. There are quite a few still headliners available:
    • MK: All 3 Mts, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan
    • EP: Test Track and Mission Space are gone, Soaring is available
    • AK: EE, Dinosaur, Safari
    • DHS: TSM gone, RnRc, Tot, StarWars are available

Looking at it I think Epcot would be the only unsuccessful afternoon park for rides.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like FP+, I never was thrilled about running to a ride at rope drop either. I did it, but didn't much like it.

No offense, but why should I, who is willing to plan ahead and be more relaxed, have to give that up for someone who wants to "wing it". Try winging it in a large city for dinner just about anywhere, and you'll end up at McDonalds more often than not.

I use FP+ for Toy Story Mania, which I like, but is not my favorite ride, then DW and I walk back to RRC, and wait maybe 10 minutes and ride twice! Why would I want to give that up?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I have said it before, I feel sad for the first timers - people who dream about Disney, save and get there on the day with their children and discover that they can't get any fastpasses for the signature rides and the rides are 80+ minute waits. I'm sure many regulars are like me, and just showed up the first trip not knowing what to expect. I was able to ride enough of the big name rides that I wanted to learn more and return (again and again - eventually staying at Disney hotels). I guess they no longer need to cultivate these type of customers.

In some ways it feels elitist to me. The old way at least let anyone who got there a chance for a fast pass. Now, it's only folks who can afford Annual Passes and those paying to stay on campus. Say what you want, but a fastpass for Great Movie Ride is a joke.

I also miss the spontaneity - we actually enjoyed letting things flow - sometimes we scored fastpasses, sometimes not.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jillirose View Post
    I have said it before, I feel sad for the first timers - people who dream about Disney, save and get there on the day with their children and discover that they can't get any fastpasses for the signature rides and the rides are 80+ minute waits. I'm sure many regulars are like me, and just showed up the first trip not knowing what to expect. I was able to ride enough of the big name rides that I wanted to learn more and return (again and again - eventually staying at Disney hotels). I guess they no longer need to cultivate these type of customers.

In some ways it feels elitist to me. The old way at least let anyone who got there a chance for a fast pass. Now, it's only folks who can afford Annual Passes and those paying to stay on campus. Say what you want, but a fastpass for Great Movie Ride is a joke.

I also miss the spontaneity - we actually enjoyed letting things flow - sometimes we scored fastpasses, sometimes not.

I felt bad for first timers BEFORE!

If the didn't know to show up at rope drop to run to TSM or meet anna and Elsa, they had no shot!

Now, they can comfortably book those experiences in advance!

First timers weren't experts who knew how to use the old system to its full potential.

Big picture:

There are pros and cons. Some pros are big for some people, some cons are bigger for others.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney certainly doesn't hide the My Disney Experience and Magicbands. You get tons of reminders about them.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my thoughts. (and worth exactly what you paid for them )
    Disney Parks are a business offering goods and services for a price. Visiting them is a premium big$$ vacation compared to many other vacation options. Don't like what you're paying for? Vote with your wallet. Go somewhere else on vacation. We do that often.
    No one is entitled to short lines for anything. We choose to visit the most popular theme parks in the world. And they are popular for a reason. But that makes them really crowded. And we still we elect to go there along with millions of others and we expect not to have to wait in long lines?
    How dare they make us wait.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

My feelings are indifferent to the new FP+. I think the old one was fair and the new one is fair according to improved technology. Everyone has access to a computer nowadays and I think FP+ is fair. I don't understand how one can go to a park and say "Oh yea let's try SM today", it seems like even for those that aren't planners can figure out their favorite rides ahead of time and divy it up based on day, it's not a lot of work.

Secondly, I agree there is an issue with the Anna and Elsa meet and greets. Obviously they should incorporate more meet and greets in other parks. I do not think doing that would stress guests out because once word gets out, guests will recognize that they have more than one park to go to to meet Anna and Elsa. Someone also mentioned more character meals with them and I think that is a good idea. Furthermore, I think Disney should do more to make the line to meet the sisters more interactive/include characters to entertain the kids like Olaf or Kristoff or Hans while they wait in lines. Do trivia questions for the kids based on the movie on tv screens and have parents text the answer and see how many kids got the answer. There is always something Disney can do to make it easier to wait.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: