Quantcast quick service plan

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default quick service plan

first time going to USO, ive been to Disney and had their quick service plans. wanting to know if USO's is worth the $20 per day.. any insight will be appreciated.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to sit down to eat it's worth it (as opposed to just grabbing quick snacks here and there). You can easily get your money's worth with that deal between lunch and the snacks. But, if you're not careful, you can also lose money on it.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind, the quick service $20 plan does not include any sit-down restaurants. So, you're basically getting a quick service meal (since they changed the plan this does not seem to include an additional drink), one non-alcoholic beverage, and a snack.

For us, we would consistently lose money because we're not fans of the quick service restaurants on the quick service plan. The plan only includes certain fast food, and they never include any of our favorites (Harry Potter restaurants, Blondie's, Simpsons area fare). Plus the plan only includes 1 non-alcoholic drink (to entice you into purchasing the unlimited drink refills and those giant containers are just a pain to carry around for us). So, we would end up spending additional $$ on beverages.

Also, we have found the sit down restaurants, particularly Finnegan's and Jimmy Buffets to be pretty cheap for a theme park so sometimes we opt for that for dinner and then we really don't have any need for a snack during the day thus wasting that meal plan option. For example, Finnegan's entree options run from $9.99 - 16.99.

We ran our receipts from last time and without tip, we're spending only about $65 on quick lunch and sit-down dinner for the two of us (sometimes with 1 alcoholic beverage!). With the Universal Meal Deal (the grander option that includes sit-down options and more fast food options) we'd be spending $51 per person per day. And again, we are only fans of 1 of the participating restaurants (Finnegan's).

For quick service, I think it all ultimately depends on where you want to eat. I'd suggest taking a look at the menus before you decide.

IMO the restaurants on the Quick Service Meal Plan are the weakest restaurants in the parks.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Keep in mind, the quick service $20 plan does not include any sit-down restaurants. So, you're basically getting a quick service meal (since they changed the plan this does not seem to include an additional drink), one non-alcoholic beverage, and a snack. For us, we would consistently lose money because we're not fans of the quick service restaurants on the quick service plan. The plan only includes certain fast food, and they never include any of our favorites (Harry Potter restaurants, Blondie's, Simpsons area fare).
    It sounds like the plan may have changed since you were last there. When we were there in May we got 2 snacks (or, basically, a dessert with your meal and then a snack later) and the 3 Broomsticks was included (don't know about in Diagon Alley since I haven't been there). I'm pretty sure the Simpsons were included, too.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

The $19.99 plan is still listed as follows on the Universal website (I copied it since I'm not sure if I can link to their site). Perhaps you had one of the special vacation packages or the HP package? There is also a full dining plan for about $51 per person that can only be included with a vacation package and includes sit-down meals...

Here's the quick service plan from their site:

"Pre-purchase quick service meals, snacks, and drinks before you
    hit the parks.

What's Included?

Adults:

1 Quick Service Meal
    1 Snack
    1 Non-Alcoholic Beverage

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS®
    FLORIDA

Mel’s Drive-In
    Louie’s Italian Restaurant
    Beverly Hills Boulangerie
    Universal Studios’ Classic
    Monsters Cafe

UNIVERSAL'S ISLANDS
    OF ADVENTURE®

Comic Strip Cafe®
    Croissant Moon
    The Burger Digs®
    Cafe 4℠

UNIVERSAL CITYWALK®

Starbucks® Coffee
    Cinnabon®"

I might be missing other options beyond these and the Harry Potter packages?
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I might be missing other options beyond these and the Harry Potter packages?
    When we walked into the 3 Broomsticks for lunch we were greeted by a team member (or whatever Universal calls them) telling us about the dining plan. So it wasn't a special package or pre-bought or anything. We just walked in day of and bought it there in the 3 Broomsticks. It was $19.99/person and included meal, drink, and 2 snacks/person (which usually 1 is used on dessert with your meal). So we had dessert with the meal and then used the other snack credit to buy a butterbeer later. Maybe it was only different in May? I'm not sure. But it wasn't that day only. We got the same thing our second day at Universal, too, over at the Simpsons.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's one of the HP plans. They do sometimes offer special deals (makes sense they would do this with Simpsons, too). These are usually things you can only sign up for the day of, so VERY GOOD find on your part!

I've heard of these, but have never seen them in September when we usually go. In fact, the first year Hogsmede was open, we went to Three Broomsticks and didn't have a reservation. They let us in anyway, but it wasn't until after we ordered that we learned the "breakfast plan" was $29.99 a person if you didn't book the room package.

These things frequently change as Universal tries new stuff with attractions.

Abbadab - I'd vote for holding out to see if you can score a sweet deal like Strmchsr since those plans offered recently at the entrance to the top quick service restaurants seem to be well worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all so much for the reply my friend and I are going sept 23 - 30 and thought the $51 sounded pretty steep, especially since wdw offers free dining. $20 for a counter meal also seemed steep. I haven't been there since 2001 and then I totally forget how we ate there...

Post Thanks / Like

You'll see that the counter prices are about the same as Disney World counter service and that the sit-down restaurants are a bit cheaper than Disney, generally speaking.

So, if you plan on eating at the counter service restaurants on the list, it could be worth it.

For sit-down restaurants, you can make reservations online through Open Table. I'm a big fan of Open Table and use it at home and on other trips as well. In case you haven't had an occasion to try it, you get rewarded for making and keeping reservations at participating restaurants (which are in the thousands all over the US). Anyway, you can make in-park restaurant reservations, CityWalk restaurant reservations and reservations for the restaurants in the Universal hotels. It's super helpful and easy to change! They have a free ap that is also very convenient. Unless you have a huge group, there are no credit card holds required. You can cancel up to the reservation time with no ramifications. However, if you miss more than I think 2 reservations without canceling, your account can be suspended.

If you're thinking of doing sit-down at any point, it might be helpful to get a reservations if you're going on a busy day.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

SO much has positively changed since 2001, I think you'll be happy with the parks AND the MUCH better food options.

I visited in 2003 after a 8 year hiatus, and was SOOOO disappointed with the Studios park. What a different park it is now!

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw on a trip review blog that most days the other dining plan Strmchsr bought should be available and they key is NOT buying the plan available online in advance AND making sure you INSTEAD purchase the plan available at the fast service restaurant you're interested in.

In most cases, like Strmchsr found first-hand, it should be a good deal - almost like getting a beverage for free (and maybe the snack included, too, depending on the value of your other choices).

It seems as though this deal limits what you can choose from the counter service menu, so it is good to be at the actual location where you want to eat and check the menu for the meal deal icons on certain items. But, the benefit is that it seems to include ALL of the fast food options within the parks.

AND unlike the deal available in advance online, this meal plan purchased the DAY OF, INCLUDES BUTTER BEER! I'm not a fan, but my husband is, and this is a nice option

I think we'll try this out on our trip - hope it's still a daily option in late September!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I have to clarify some of the info on the quick dining plan.

You can purchase it in advance for $19.....It includes ALL of the quick service restaurants like the Three Broomsticks and Blondies.....it also incudes Butter Beer and every other snack.

All Quick Service Restaurants in the Simpson area are also included.....They are considered "Fast Food Boulevard".

It is one meal with an included side and drink. Ex: cheeseburger, fries and a coke.

It also includes another drink and a snack...

Butter Beer and other Slush drinks are considered a snack not a drink.

There are not many places for breakfast...maybe three between both parks. The 3 Broomsticks is not opened for breakfast to the general public. The only way you are "supposed" to be able to eat there for breakfast is if you have a HP vacation package. But you can eat there for lunch or dinner under the quick service plan.

We used it for the kids our last trip and was worth it because they are teenagers. It was nice to not have to give them money for food.

This is not a special package plan but the regular quick service meal plan.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Go onto the Universal Web site

Choose.... the Dining Tab at the top of the screen

From the Drop Down choose.... the Quick Service Plan

Scroll down to where it says "So many locations to choose from".... and Click "Learn More"

This will give you a complete listing of which quick service restaurants that are included....Which is ALL of them.

The plan you buy in advance and the plan you can buy in the park are the exact same plan.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know!

When you go to the site, it clearly lists, "What's Included?" and then lists the text I copied above. The way they write it makes it seem like those are the only options (which is consistent with the way the plan has normally been).

I'm so glad you know about the "Learn More" tab - it pretty much presents totally different information. I think it's time that they change the main page text because it's a bit misleading

Thanks for sharing - this will be good to review before our trip!

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know!

When you go to the site, it clearly lists, "What's Included?" and then lists the text I copied above. The way they write it makes it seem like those are the only options (which is consistent with the way the plan has normally been).

I'm so glad you know about the "Learn More" tab - it pretty much presents totally different information. I think it's time that they change the main page text because it's a bit misleading

Thanks for sharing - this will be good to review before our trip!
    I agree. I'm not sure why they even bothered to put partial info on the main page. The only reason I knew about it was because we used the quick service a few months ago and it was taken every where we went. When I purchased the plan over the phone the person taking my reservation told me where to go to get the complete listing.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

This is off-topic ... but I just wanted to say ...NJGirl ... it is VERY nice to see you back on the board!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    This is off-topic ... but I just wanted to say ...NJGirl ... it is VERY nice to see you back on the board!

Thanks, it has been a rough and busy couple of months. I was still moderating the whole time, but didn't have time to participate in the discussions.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Thanks, it has been a rough and busy couple of months. I was still moderating the whole time, but didn't have time to participate in the discussions.
    I'm sorry. I hope things have improved for you.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I'm sorry. I hope things have improved for you.
    Thanks for the kind words. I am praying things have finally settled down and we are moving forward.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so in reading everything (multiple times here) I am still uncertain if I should buy the quick service plan in advance... They offer a deal within the restaurant itself?

The drink they 'speak of' is above and beyond an 'included' drink with the meal? (so 2 drinks per day?)

ALSO, is there a fastpass type of system there? I don't recall one in 2001

Thanx so much - its so fun to read everyones thoughts

PS - I'm staying at the cabana bay resort...
    Last edited by abbadab; 08-04-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added post script

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: