Quantcast Things to do outside the parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Things to do outside the parks

We are debating about tacking on one more night to the end of our 7 night stay next June, just so we aren't rushed to pack up and get on the road. What are your favorite things to do outside the parks? I suggested to DH maybe a late, fun breakfast, some pool time, some nap time, maybe DD, and a fun dinner somewhere (another resort? DD?)

Anyone else have suggestions for a fun, low-key day? Our kids are all boys: twins that will be almost 4, a 2 year old, and a 7 month old. I am really trying to avoid anything fast-paced, running around, or stressful. LOL
    1990 - Shades of Green w/ mom, dad, sister and Grammy
    1994 - CBR w/ mom, dad, and sister
    1998 - Pleasure Island w/ sorority sisters
    2004 - CBR
    2010 - One day at MK with my new husband
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Things

• Pool
    • MK Resorts. Play in sand on the Beach!
    • Catch Boat in front of MK and go over to Fort Wilderness. Horse Barn (maybe babys) Petting zoo and Pony Rides
    • Downtown Disney & Lego Store
    • Explore Cars & Lion King at Art of Animation Resort
    • Ride the Ferry or Resort Launches
    • Go see the animals out back of AK Lodge
    • Many Many Places to explore outside of Parks!

ENJOY!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a care Cape Canaveral is a good easy day. If you are in to vintage airplanes Fantasy of Flight is excellent.
    Nov 05 - SOG
    May 06 - SOG
    Nov 06 - SOG
    May 07 - SOG
    Nov 07 - SOG
    Nov 08 - SOG
    Dec 08 - SOG
    Nov 09 - SOG
    May 10 - CBR
    Nov 10 - SOG
    May 11 - SOG
    Jan 12 - POP
    Nov 12 - FWC
    Nov 13 - FWC
    Nov 14 - FWC
    Next Nov 15 - FWC or SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe schedule the off day in the middle of the trip so everyone can have a slow day and then be ready to go all out again the next days.
    I like the boat to Wilderness Lodge, the walking trail to the campground (and the activities mentioned in the above post) before a boat ride back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! Yes, we do plan on taking a day in the middle as well. So we'll do 2-3 days in the parks, one day out, 2-3 days in the parks (we're getting 5 day PHs) and then one final day out to rest and relax before we hit the road. I love all of the ideas! We'll have my parents with us, although maybe not for that last day out of the parks, so we'll have some assistance with managing the kids. Maybe we'll even split for the day so the big kids can go mini-golfing.
    2004 - CBR
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always pick a different beach and go for a day. We have been to beaches up and down both the East and West Coasts. The easiest to get to is probably Daytona Beach because it is pretty much a straight shot on the interstate.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the kids are so little, I think we want to stick close to WDW. We've got two days of driving to get home, so I'd like to let the kids run and play as much as possible without much car time. Mommy would love the beach, though!!!
    2004 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    And if the 4's are up to it, Fantasia Gardens mini-golf, at the Swan.
    (Although I don't know whether it's more kid-friendly than Winter-Summerland at Blizzard Beach, or whether W-S requires park admission.)
    Theme park admission is NOT required for any of the mini-golf courses. You can take a bus from your resort to Blizzard Beach/Winter Summerland. For Fantasia Gardens/Fairways, you'll need to get to the Swan/Dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    The easiest to get to is probably Daytona Beach because it is pretty much a straight shot on the interstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyAnne View Post
    Since the kids are so little, I think we want to stick close to WDW. We've got two days of driving to get home, so I'd like to let the kids run and play as much as possible without much car time. Mommy would love the beach, though!!!
    Daytona's about an hour and a half away up Interstate 4 - through downtown Orlando. Take the Beachline (SR 528) east, and you'll hit Cocoa Beach in an hour. If you take US 192 east, you'll run right into Melbourne with beaches - about an hour.

Take I-4 west through Tampa to SR 60, then SR 60 west, and you can get to Clearwater Beach in under an hour. MUCH nicer beaches on the west coast.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a petting zoo any more at Fort Wilderness. I think the horse barn is still there.

If you take a boat from MK to the campground you will walk past the dock area and arrive at the Pioneer Hall area. To the left is one of the two Trading Posts at the campground and to the right is a nice play ground and then Crockett's Tavern and then Trail's End Kitchen. The younger kids in our group have always liked the food choices at Trail's End because of the familiarity of the food. The porch around the Tavern and restaurant is a good place to relax with a beverage while the kids run around.

We took a 4 year old to Winter/Summerland one year. We all had fun but she was a bit tired of golfing by the time we got done, not having done mini golf before. And while it was no problem, we did have to let several parties play through. Also, you may want to check on the price to see if you're up to that for 2 four year olds. We were there in early September and I was surprised at how warm the course seemed. I'd recommend going a little later in the afternoon. If you're doing Disney transportation, that seems linked to Blizzard Beach's hours.

One year the youngsters in our group liked the water play area at Downtown Disney. There was also a play structure there too. Don't know if any of that is still there as this was almost 20 years ago.

Where are you staying? Your own resort may have activities for the kids. This information does not seem to be out there on the web, much. Perhaps you could find out what's going on now (call the resort) as that might be close to what you could expect when you're there.

Last year we had a very fun late breakfast at Cape May. Donald Duck and DH got very silly.

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: