Quantcast 2015 Inaugural Pixie Dust Challenge!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2015 Inaugural Pixie Dust Challenge!

All new for 2015!
    It was recently announced the Tinkerbell Half Marathon weekend (moved to May 7th -10th to make room for the Star Wars gang) has a new challenge! Signing up for the Pixie Dust Challenge earns a new medal after completing the TinkerBell 10K and the TinkerBell Half Marathon. I guess I know what I'll be doing when registration opens up! Who's in?
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

AP and DVC early registration begins tomorrow (August 6th) at 9AM PT (NOON ET).
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in for the Pixie Dust Challenge - any other intercotees?

"Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
    I'm in for the Pixie Dust Challenge - any other intercotees?

Yep! I had already planned to register for the 10K and then they announce a challenge. What else could I do?

It took longer for these races to fill up probably due to it being Mother's Day weekend.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually really excited about the Mother's Day weekend - there is nothing I would rather do on Mother's Day than spend it with RunDisney at Disneyland! And I'm hoping to convince my mom to come along for the occasion as well!

I think it may not have filled up as fast with both of the new DL events this year - but I decided I could do both Avengers and Tink. And hopefully Star Wars at some point!

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I'm signed up for the Pixie Dust Challenge!

I'm doing my very best to follow the training schedule. I am struggling a bit with the weekday 30 minute runs, but I have done the 3 mile and 4 miles weekend runs.

I just got some new sneakers today, so I'm excited to try them out this week!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing the Pixie challenge! Super excited. The Star Wars 10K was my first runDisney race and it was an amazing experience!
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see other intercotees doing the Pixie Dust challenge! I am planning to use the jeff galloway training plan on the runDisney website but have had a slow start - I'm trying to get over an IT band injury that I developed sometime after Avengers. I'm thinking I may need to run/walk for the pixie dust challenge but am hopeful the injury will heal quickly but it has been awhile already.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to get over an IT band injury that I developed sometime after Avengers. I'm thinking I may need to run/walk for the pixie dust challenge but am hopeful the injury will heal quickly but it has been awhile already.
    IT band syndrome. It’s what enables our love/hate relationship with the dreaded foam roller. Unfortunately it works great. 2 to 3 days of 10 to 15 minute sessions and you should be back on the road. The good news is that once you get the initial knots worked out, foam rolling doesn’t feel too bad. I would continue to foam roll on regular basis during the training season to keep the IT band from flaring up again.

Good luck and happy training.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see other intercotees doing the Pixie Dust challenge! I am planning to use the jeff galloway training plan on the runDisney website but have had a slow start - I'm trying to get over an IT band injury that I developed sometime after Avengers. I'm thinking I may need to run/walk for the pixie dust challenge but am hopeful the injury will heal quickly but it has been awhile already.
    Do an Amazon search for IT support band. I have IT band syndrome and used these during the 10k a couple weeks ago. Previously I had only been able to run about 2 or 3 miles before needing to stop from knee pain. With these I was able to run the full 10k without needing to walk! It was amazing. I spent $10 on each band. Best investment for running! I also have a foam roller that I use although I have not gotten much relief from that.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As you know the IT band is a thick tough band of tissue that runs from your hip to your knee. With over use such as running too many miles too soon, running all of your runs at the same pace or the same route in the same direction to name a few will create knots in the IT band which shortens the IT band causing the connecting tissue at the knee to rub along the knee joint causing inflammation and pain.

An IT support band will restrict the amount of motion between the knee joint and the connective tissue reducing the rate of inflammation so you can run farther before the pain returns but it does not alleviate the actual problem.

The best ways to heal the IT band is with rest which can take a long time, or with deep tissue massage which should produce immediate results though it may take a couple of days for the inflammation at the knee joint to subside and ibuprofen will help with that.

The foam roller is just a tool to enable you to perform a deep tissue massage yourself. As with most anything there is a technique to foam rolling correctly which you can find on several youtube videos.

The down side to the deep tissue massage is that the more your IT band needs it the more it hurts, but as the knots loosen and the IT band relaxes the pain of foam rolling diminishes.

Proper cross training can also help prevent IT band issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info on the IT band. I feel like I have been resting as much as possible without going crazy and doing cross training with a new gym that opened - orange theory. But instead of running I've been walking on the treadmill.

I got one of the IT bands but realized I wasn't wearing it tight enough. Trying to be patient and make sure I provide enough time for it to heal so I can run for a long time. I got the foam roller to and will look into the youtube video to see how to do it best for an IT injury. THANKS!

Hopefully I'll be recovered so I can enjoy the Tink races!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: