Quantcast Advice for downgrading accommodations

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice for downgrading accommodations

Hello,

I have been contemplating this question for a while. We just recently sold our Disney Vacation Club membership due to a loss of income. We were really bummed to give it up. We are doing a trip in a month from now at the Grand Floridian because we made some money off of our sale and decided to treat the kids. We have basically always stayed in a deluxe resort. I am looking ahead at 2015. My daughter wants to go for her birthday that December. I don't know if a monorail resort is going to be in the budget for next year for us with our new financial situation. What resort would you recommend for a family of 6 that is used to staying at deluxe resorts every trip. I have definitely become used to the amenities and fear going value.
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is that you can easily visit and enjoy what other resorts have to offer (except pools) no matter where you stay. It's not the same staying value or moderate when you're used to deluxe, I know, but you really do find things to love about every resort. I thought I was strictly a deluxe lover, but I found that I really enjoyed my stay at POP. And the Swan/Dolphin are great options for lower price but great location (with excellent restaurants).

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the moderate and value alternatives. Consider it an adventure, and keep in mind that if you don't love the resorts, you can always save up for deluxe and make less frequent trips. It's not the best solution, maybe, but it's an option.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

What about the FW Cabins? It will be a different experience more liking camping in style.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's still a deluxe, and you would need two rooms to sleep 6, or a Jr. Suite, but it may be cheaper than the monorail deluxe resorts.....Wilderness Lodge. Or a two bedroom villa at the DVD section of WL. It's so beautiful at Christmas time! That would be my pick.

If that's still out of reach try a cabin at Fort Wilderness, or pick which ever moderate resort theme appeals to you the most.

Unless you can book a two bedroom at a DVC, book a cabin at Fort Wilderness, or a family suite at Art of Animation or All Stars you're going to need two rooms. That's where it gets pricey! Good luck to you.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

You might also weigh the pros/cons of staying offsite (gasp I know!). That way you could get deluxe level accommodations (as in quality of the room, quality of the hotel) for value/moderate level pricing. Of course you know the cons, not being immersed in the onsite experience, having to drive and pay to park, etc., but you can usually get some high level accommodations that way.

On the long-term financial planning side, just be careful that you don't use the windfall (if that's even the right word for it) from the DVC sale to fund a short-term purchase that you can't really afford any longer. If your income level now only affords you value or moderate level resorts, it doesn't matter what you're used to getting, you need to work with what you have going forward. [/Channeling Dave Ramsey]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the "downgrade" experience all depends on the time of year that you go.

For example, I enjoyed my time at mid-September POP every bit as my time at mid-August Wilderness Lodge. However, my aunt and cousin stayed at POP during July and their reports were a TOTALLY different experience than mine.

We had found POP to be moderately attended, great food selection and FAST bus transportation (it seemed the only time we've waited the past few trips was after eating at a Deluxe resort and then trying to take a bus to a park - we waited FOREVER at both the Contemporary and Polynesian).

However, my aunt and cousin were overwhelmed at POP during their July stay because it was booked to capacity. They found buses at park closing to be tough and the food court hard to navigate at peak meal times after their 2 previous stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

So, if you can go in early December, rather than CRAZY Christmas week, I think you should have a rather nice time!

As others have mentioned, the value resorts have their own merits and very thoughtful, cheerful theming. I think the Value resorts are just that - comparative to the rest of the hotels and the benefits you receive from staying onsite - it's a great value.

We eventually realized we weren't spending a ton of time in the room and POP frequently makes the most sense for us. We're always hopping all over the place so are always more likely to simply eat dinner at the monorail Deluxe resorts' sit-down restaurants and only breakfast at POP. So we still get a lot of the Deluxe experience via our meals. I've never found the amenities at the Deluxe's to be particularly luxurious despite the price (for example, over the years was never handed chilled towels at the pool, served complimentary fruit or infused water, etc.; rooms are small/average sized). So, I like to focus on how much time I'm saving at places like POP (again we've had the best bus service here during our trips), how clean POP is, we lose ourselves in the theming, and think about how much farther our saved room $$ will go during our next non-Disney trip at a Fairmont, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a moderate. It's a significant savings from a deluxe but still has many of the amenities you would appreciate (more than a value). Port Orleans Riverside would be a good one in my opinion since they have the boat to DTD (or at least they did - not sure if that is still happening w/ the craziness over at DTD).

My family would rather go more often and stay at a lesser resort. Find out what is more important to your family. If it is a deluxe, then plan trips further apart. However, I think you should try the moderates or values before you make that decision. Either way, you'll be at Disney World, it can't be all that bad!
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Rent points...you know how to navigate that! Six people don't fit in one room at the resorts (you know that too). Good luck, but IMO GF is not worth the value if you are using your windfall...tuck that away for a rainy day!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    Rent points...you know how to navigate that! Six people don't fit in one room at the resorts (you know that too). Good luck, but IMO GF is not worth the value if you are using your windfall...tuck that away for a rainy day!
    Yes! Great idea. Renting points might give you the best options for your family, and the kind of accommodations you're used to staying in.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

BadBoyBill Guest

I last stayed in the G.F. But I have to agree there are some other good options. Depending on their ages I think AofA is really a nice resort for the money and beats staying off property. I like to stay at Pop Century when it's just me. I wouldn't recommend it in your situation but every resort has it's fans. When I stay at Pop I frequently go to a monorail resort for lunch or just to check out the resort. The thing you will miss most is the convenience. There are plenty of really good videos on YouTube that give a good flavor of the resorts. Also check specials and you can stack Orbitz promo codes on top of Disney's discounted rates. I never pay full price. I paid less than $200 a night for the G.F. You just have to read the Passporter book and use the tips to find a place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    I was going to suggest this as well!! This way you have all the amenities that you are used to with DVC, but usually at a much discounted price - especially if you are flexible with the time of year.

Happy Planning!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably in the minority here but I am not a huge fan of the Deluxe resorts (we have tried the Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Yacht club at the club level, and Old Key West). I personally find them congested and the lack of quick service options frustrating. We love Coronado Springs resort. We also have a large family and require two rooms. I love how Coronado is quieter than most of the other resorts. They have a gym, a spa, an outdoor lounge/bar, a lounge/bar/club inside, a business center, and some of the best transportation I have ever experienced in Disney. Best of luck to you.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend trying a condo or a house offsite.

A friend suggested that we try a Condo in the Windsor Hills Resort. It is only 2 1/2 miles from WDW, and it was quicker driving to every park except MK, then it was to ride a bus. A 3 bedroom 2 bath condo runs between $1,500 and $2,100 for a week depending on the time of year.

We actually enjoyed the condo so much, we have stayed there for our last 3 trips.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of six, so I understand the logistics of trying to find a place where everyone will be comfortable. We've stayed at all three monorail resorts, FW cabins, AofA Family Suites, as well as offsite. There are pros and cons to all of them. Of course you'd need two rooms for the monorail resorts unless one of your children is under three years old. The FW cabins are nice, but offer only one bathroom. We rented a golf cart to get around the resort. We were on the dining plan and didn't like that there was no CS restaurant available. AofA was really cute and themed well. We liked having two bathrooms, but the room was smaller than we thought it would be. That being said, we loved the food court and found it to offer much more than any of the Deluxe resorts had to offer at their CS restaurants. We've stayed at both Windsor Hills and Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We liked the space that both had and the value was great. But, we were off property and didn't get the Disney perks such as EMH. I didn't care for Windsor Hills because it seemed too far away from property for us. Granted, it is one of the closest resorts off property, but it is past AK. When you have young children, and spend a lot of time at MK, it' seemed too far out. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is actually surrounded by Disney property and is right next door to CBR. We've stayed there twice. The first time was fabulous. It was quiet and relaxing and the room was beautiful. We went during a low time of year. The second time wasn't too great. We went in the peak of summer. The condo we got looked a little run down, the crowds and noise from the pool was loud, and finding a parking spot was difficult. That being said, the price for a 2br condo was only $120 a night, so we were able to stay for 10 nights.This summer we stayed at Poly because my oldest didn't want to make the trip. Next year we are considering offsite again because he wants see all of the new Potter stuff at Universal. I think it depends on what you're looking for and how old your children are.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

If you love the GF and deluxes (I know...we're spoiled like that too), Saratoga Springs I think is a great resort. It's not nearly as $$ as GF, and to my family it has the same feel...not as luxurious but still very nice, Victorian decor. Its still a deluxe, and you can rent points. We stayed in the 2 bedroom last year and absolutely loved it. We're doing that for Christmas again this year. For us, it did end up being a little cheaper than getting 2 rooms at a moderate, and was alot nicer and we love having the kitchen. I also have heard really good things about POR from friends. When I priced it though, SS ended up being a better deal for the 6 of us.

I would try to look at the positive in it all. It's hard to not think of it as a downgrade, but try to stay positive! It's just a different frame of mind. And who knows what the future may hold!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    "Oh, we can't stay at a monorail resort this year! "
    (Oh, these are the kind of problems you want to have...)

Seriously, Value isn't bad--rather fun, in fact--and Moderate has its distinct charm. Both if you don't mind taking the buses.
    As for Moderates, they've got the best of both Deluxe and Value--Beautiful outdoor theming like the Deluxes, but an "outdoor hotel" between courts of room buildings like the Values, unlike the indoor hotel-style Deluxes.

Give them a try: A family suite at AoA or ASMusic has enough room for 6, or getting two rooms (one for the kids) might even be cheaper at a Value.
    Even two rooms at a Moderate like POFQ is cheaper than anything the Contemporary or GF can offer, and has its own scenic perks (if the boat to DTD is running) as well.
    I agree with Eric.
    I've only ever stayed at Values, and the moderates a couple of times [CB and FW].
    For us, we actually adore the value resorts because of the fun themes.
    Beyond that I can't really recommend anything just because I haven't even stayed.
    I consider someone rich if they stay at deluxes. LOL. The Values are pricey for us even, and we really have to plan it out.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest POP it is not my favorite value resort but we have stayed there 3 times and always gotten a good deal. My favorite value resort if All Star Movies but it is always very crowded.

BadBoyBill Guest

I think every resort has good and bad points. I loved the GF because of it's convenience and it seemed calmer but I really love Pop and AoA as well as every other resort I have stayed in or visited. With GF you give up more money and with Pop/AoA you give up convenience but there are things I like about both. I don't look down to people staying at a value resort and I certainly don't assume everyone staying at GF is rich. Some people save up a long time to stay at either place. The bottom line is you have to find the resort that is best for your particular group and that can change from time to time. I would love to stay at every one of the resorts at least once. They are all special in their own way. I love the Passporter book for their overviews and comparisons and then I like to narrow down to a couple based on what sales/discounts I can find and then go to YouTube and watch some of the very well done video tours of the resorts. There are lots of them out there. Some are better than others, but they really give you a better feel of the resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always stayed at the value. and they really are nice. The rooms are very pleasant, and with the exception of only a couple incidents, they were awesome. (assuming you don't mind mice and snakes in your room, jk)
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with two really good points....

Personally, I think the "downgrade" experience all depends on the time of year that you go.
    We've stayed all levels: deluxe, moderate, and value. Overall, we are moderate peeps! Having said that, the time of year we go really dedicates where we stay. For example, WL is a must do during Thanksgiving and Christmas; YC/BC is very nice (also) because of convenience to EPCOT. We do CSR or POR during summer. We try to stay away from values during summer because we spend a fair amount of time at the pools and a slide is a must have for our family. The Boardwalk area has the restaurant choices and atmosphere my parents enjoyed. We visited Boardwalk area twice during our stay. CSR has a very good food court.

Another very good real reason for us to stay moderate...

I'm probably in the minority here but I am not a huge fan of the Deluxe resorts (we have tried the Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Yacht club at the club level, and Old Key West). I personally find them congested and the lack of quick service options frustrating. We love Coronado Springs resort.
    We stayed WL for Spring Break 2014. It was our fist trip with my parents. My Dad retired this year and finally decided it was time to go to WDW with us. I really thought WL was the perfect resort choice for us...but is was an incredible let down for them and us...and we love WL. The resort felt really congested and Mom & Dad were not impressed Roaring Forks. It was really hard to listen to their complaints about a resort we love and wished we had booked Boardwalk or CSR for Spring Break.
    Last edited by grumpypima; 09-02-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add info
    ASSp, ASMovies, POP
    CSR, POR, CBR
    WL, YC/BC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: