Quantcast Spoiled for the monorail

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spoiled for the monorail

So last summer, I spoiled my family for a monorail resort (BLT) and rented DVC points for a very special vacation in the middle of July. July b/c it was my birthday, and my husband coaches year round and had limited time off. It was an amazing vacation - hot and crowded, but we loved our resort and the monorail access. We are looking to go back this summer (probably in July again), but would like to get a bigger room (we stayed in a studio - which was nice but tiny for a family of 4). I am looking for suggestions that might be similar - possibly renting DVC points again, but maybe upgrading to a one bedroom. Or maybe a non DVC resort. What are some of the best (most convenient) places you have stayed during a crowded time of year that worked out for you? Thanks.
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are DVC since 9/09, at BLT. Join up, its easy and we wish we did it years earlier.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

For us, the garden wing (formerly wings) of the Contemporary were always the best buy on the Monorail....and the rooms are large...two Queens and a daybed...short walk to the monorail, or the busses to the other parks...great services, dining venues...We usually have stayed at either the Contemporary, or at Shades of Green, since our first trip, in 1975...

Since I was admitted to the Hospital, for by-pass surgery, on our 50th Anniversary, we are planning to celebrate our 50th on our 51st...considering renting points for BLT...looks like single room at the Garden Wing is about the same cost as renting points for a 1 Bedroom at BLT...Apparent best buy of the three would be renting points for a studio at BLT...still looking at numbers, including a split stay at SoG and BLT, to get the benefit of the monorail for MK days, and the cost of SoG for the "other parks" days.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing inexpensive about a monorail resort. I can never justify the $300 a night for a bed to sleep in. Everything a resort has to offer can be experienced by anyone visiting Disney World. WDW rules state that you can't use the pool unless you are staying at the resort. It would be nice if they enforced that rule. After many trips to different resorts, there is nothing that is resort guest specific other than the pool at BC.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's not monorail . . .

I'd suggest Wilderness Lodge. We've stayed twice at the Poly and it does have nice large rooms, but with a larger price tag.

WL has smaller rooms, altho the ones with bunk beds are fun. And WL has a bit lower room costs. We've only stayed at WL once, but the theming is our favorite at WDW.

We love the boat rides to MK more than the monorail. They don't seem as crowded, and in July wouldn't be as chilly as a boat ride in winter can often be. When we stayed at the Poly we often opted for the launch, from MK, as having a shorter line.

You might want to check into renting points for a one bedroom at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. There's a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in a one bedroom. King bed in the bedroom, sleeper sofa in the living room. We've stayed twice in VWL.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

you can never go wrong at the compt.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the convenience of the monorail from the GF, Poly or Contemporary Hotels, especially if you visit MK a lot, or Epcot. Still, I have a hard time justifying an extra $300 (or more) per day just for that convenience. Since we have a limited vacation budget, we opt to spend that money on longer stays at values or moderates. Extra days at WDW far outweigh the convenience of the monorail for us, and of course, we still get to ride it for the fun.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face thanks!

I never thought about the Wilderness Lodge - we might have to check that one out. We don't "have" to stay at a monorail resort, just spoiled ourselves last summer. We (kids included) actually like Epcot the best of all the parks, and that's why I thought about the Boardwalk. I think we are going to do some Universal this time, so we may do a shorter stay at Disney and take advantage of the onsite benefits at Universal for a few days also. We are dying to see the new Harry Potter exhibits. Thanks so much for the info!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have to say VWL has to be my favorite resort, Can't wait to get back there some day. I would definitely consider a stay there. Maybe the kids were just the right age but best Disney Trip we took was staying at VWL. We loved the boat ride to MK. We would also take the boat to the Contemporary and then hop on the monorail from there.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

For convenience, my top two resorts are BLT/Contemporary (for Magic Kingdom) and Beach Club (for Epcot). Both are the closest walking distance to their respective resorts. At BLT, you also have the option of taking the monorail to the MK, other resorts, and the TTC for the monorail to Epcot. At Beach Club, you can also take the boat to Epcot's International Gateway and the main entrance of Disney's Hollywood Studios.

After, that I would choose the Polynesian or the Boardwalk. The Poly has the unique advantage of having direct monorail access to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, because it's located next to the TTC. The Boardwalk is not only within walking distance of Epcot's International Gateway, but it's also the closest to walk to DHS. The boat is also available from the Boardwalk to Epcot and DHS.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is next to the Animal Kingdom park, but believe it or not, your only transportation option is the bus.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

We were BC BW people for a long time but DW has been drawn to the monorail resorts of late mostly because we have grand kids with us lately and we spend most of our time at MK. I still like BC because you can hit 2 parks from there but I hate the stampede for the busses after wishes to get back. Mama wins again this trip as we will be taking our 2 year old grand daughter for here birthday (today) next week and stay at the GF.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I change my vote to Poly. LOL. we actually toured it and it was awesome.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Poly is the best - largest rooms and best decor.
    However, during peak any monorail resort is big $$$.
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not looking to splurge too much and also still want to be spoiled, my vote is for the WL or VWL as well.

The boat service is great right to MK (and quick buses too!), also making it easy to jump on the monorail via the stop at the Contemporary or a monorail switch to the Ticket and Transportation Center line to access EPCOT.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is similar, but no boat service. Quick trips to AK, but we found the buses to take longer than WL due to the distance - ESPECIALLY MK (had visited my aunt during her stay at AK there quite a bit and have also eaten there and used bus service thereafter)

Plus, the WL lobby is pretty darn cool - really reminds me of my time as a teenager at the actual Yellowstone.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: