Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom

It's Official - Disney Parks Blog 9-12-14

When Walt Disney promised that Disneyland would never be completed, so long as there is imagination left in the world, he made a promise to our guests that we take seriously at all our locations around the world. This year, one particular product of imagination — Disney Animation’s blockbuster hit “Frozen” — captured the hearts and minds of people around the world and gave us a new opportunity to make good on Walt’s pledge.

We’ve made “Frozen” a part of the guest experience in a number of ways already and our guests have both loved them and asked for more. So I’m pleased to say that we’re starting construction at Walt Disney World Resort on a brand new “Frozen” attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take our guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. The pavilion will also include a royal greeting location where Anna and Elsa can meet our guests. We think these “Frozen” elements are great compliments to the Norway Pavilion, which showcases the country and region that inspired the film.

“Frozen’s” popular characters will also have a bigger presence at Magic Kingdom Park this holiday season. In addition to the ongoing character appearances, Queen Elsa will use her powers to transform Cinderella Castle into an ice palace every night starting in early November. And Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party-goers can see Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf in “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade.”

We’re extending some favorite elements of Frozen Summer Fun LIVE!, too, so that guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios can continue singing along to “Frozen” songs with Queen Elsa and Princess Anna. Wandering Oaken’s will set up shop closer to the show through the holiday season and will feature a larger play area with real snow (in Florida!).

From the moment we screened the film several months before its release, we were inspired by the possibility of bringing this great story to life for our guests. Frozen Summer Fun LIVE! has been extremely popular, and now we’re looking forward to doing even more to allow our guests to experience the “Frozen” phenomenon.
    Last edited by John; 09-12-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. World showcase is not supposed to be another fantasyland. It's supposed to teach you about other countries and give you authentic cultural experiences. NOT take you on a ride through a fictional land that slightly resembles something Norwegian.
    Epcot has once again lost its direction and is becoming a mishmash of random weird stuff strung together.
    It's so sad, given what it was supposed to be.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first I'm hearing of all this

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ugh. World showcase is not supposed to be another fantasyland. It's supposed to teach you about other countries and give you authentic cultural experiences. NOT take you on a ride through a fictional land that slightly resembles something Norwegian.
    Epcot has once again lost its direction and is becoming a mishmash of random weird stuff strung together.
    Oh look - ANOTHER M&G!!

I agree ~ sad.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

To all who come to this place of joy, hope of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world.
    —E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

They had a decent run, but Disney proved itself incapable of maintaining it. They've been unable to establish and maintain working relationships with foreign nations to keep World Showcase vibrant or expanding. They've been unable to maintain or create lasting relationships with industry to supply innovation for Future World. Worse than simply maintaining the status quo, Epcot has been receding over the past decade.

Frozen taking over the Maelstrom is not the problem. It is just another symptom of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    To all who come to this place of joy, hope of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world.
    —E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

They had a decent run, but Disney proved itself incapable of maintaining it. They've been unable to establish and maintain working relationships with foreign nations to keep World Showcase vibrant or expanding. They've been unable to maintain or create lasting relationships with industry to supply innovation for Future World. Worse than simply maintaining the status quo, Epcot has been receding over the past decade.

Frozen taking over the Maelstrom is not the problem. It is just another symptom of the problem.
    With as fast as technology changes I think it would be dang near impossible to stay ahead of it. Heck - my cell phone is out of date a mere 6 months after I purchase it. That is why I think you see the focus being more on "going green" as that is technology that is still be developed.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    No, please tell us, what DO you mean?
    I may be a bit dense, but I don't understand either.
    Teekneek, what is the correlation if he likes the movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    With as fast as technology changes I think it would be dang near impossible to stay ahead of it. Heck - my cell phone is out of date a mere 6 months after I purchase it. That is why I think you see the focus being more on "going green" as that is technology that is still be developed.
    Now that is the truth!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    With as fast as technology changes I think it would be dang near impossible to stay ahead of it.
    But they are not even trying. While I think the Little Mermaid attraction at the Mk is cute, it reminds me a lot of the Nemo ride at EPCOT. Nothing new or exciting...nothing cutting edge. The last time they had a cutting edge attraction was Soarin, and how old is that attraction now. They are doing a lot of cut and paste instead of coming up with new exciting things. The technology out there now is amazing.....Universal has been taking advantage of it and now the question is why isn't Disney.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    [I] . They've been unable to establish and maintain working relationships with foreign nations to keep World Showcase vibrant or expanding. They've been unable to maintain or create lasting relationships with industry to supply innovation for Future World. Worse than simply maintaining the status quo,
    Its not just industry. When my daughter was a college freshman, and met with the Dean of Civil Engineering at a college in Florida, the dean gave her many examples in Civil Engineering where the senior design project was incorporated with Disney, and Disney adopted and implemented that senior design. Now, they no longer work with the senior design projects. My daughter is a senior now, so it was in the last 3 years that this has stopped. Which is a shame. Imagine what could happen if the Civil Engineer students who LOVE Disney were given the opportunity to help revive World Showcase via their senior projects - and then Disney implemented some of their designs. These are the students who have Walt's dream as their dream.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I could not agree more!!! You expressed my feelings about it very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup the rumors are finally confirmed. I understand it. It's a relatively quick and easy way to not only cash in on the Frozen phenomenon even more, but to continue to add more child-friendly offerings to WS (which is something they've been trying to do for years now).

That all being said, I loved the Maelstrom and am especially bummed that we won't get a chance to ride it one last time on our trip in early Oct (if rumors hold up that it is closing down on Sept. 30).
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

I've said my peace on the other threads. I think a Frozen ride is fine in general but a dumb/lazy move to put it here. Maelstrom was a quirky favorite of ours. We quote it all the time.RIP. Sad we won't be able to go back back over the falls one more time.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad that they can not add this as an addition to the attractions at Norway instead of replacing one. They need to be growing in World Showcase not just replacing. Not what I would like to see

Post Thanks / Like

So, it is now "official".

But on the up side, I suppose no one will have any more problems getting fast passes for Soarin'.

There's that.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Crud. Whatever.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. More importantly it's a start. Epcot needs more rides and more rides that will pull people-especially to world showcase. I hope this is the start of continual addition to Epcot. Can we get the Remy ride to the France Pavillion as well? And maybe get that new country we have wanted for ages?

I understand this is not what Epcot was when it opened but things change, and parks evolve. Hopefully this is the first step in Epcot's rebirth.

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and kids are of Norwegian ancestry. I'm sure the Frozen ride will be swell, but I'm very sad my kids won't be sent over the falls by the trolls again.

Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I said this was a done deal months ago - there were those who chose not to believe me.

Vindication....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I said this was a done deal months ago - there were those who chose not to believe me.

Vindication....
    I took your word for it, so it comes as no surprise to me today. Which doesn't mean I'm happy about it, not really upset either. Epcot needs some freshening up. This is not the way I would prefer it to go, and I loved Maelstrom, but...

I always remain optimistic about these things until we can see what they do. The idea of bringing more character cuteness into World Showcase doesn't thrill me. This is the one area of WDW I can relax and enjoy more adult time. Not that I want to keep kids out, (WDW is for everyone) but I think it should be about Norway, not Arendelle, as others have said. Optimistically, maybe they will build a really great attraction that incorporates the Frozen elements and still keeps the spirit of Norway alive. Maybe? I can't see getting upset over it until we see how it all shakes out. I have no control over it, might as well sit back, wait, and see.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Vindication....
    Congratulations, you were right, the cancer is spreading..
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite