Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused as to which park at WDW that would be?

Walt's idea of Epcot - as I understand it - sounds a little creepy and a lot expensive to me. A prototype community of tomorrow where people are actually living doesn't sound fun for the folks living there. What works as a community for one group wouldn't for another. Keeping the infrastructure current with progress would be cost prohibitive.

Our whole extended family love Epcot. It's far and away our favorite park, even with the dumbing down, which society as a whole required*, else Disney wouldn't be making money there. If we want to do our bit to preserve the idea of Epcot - as it was when it opened, should we not spend our time conversing with the CMs from other countries? They're usually quite happy to oblige.

Which pavilion, aside from the CMs, actually represents the present day country? The food is barely representative. At best it can be said to bring back memories of having actually had meals in that country. But, that said, we still like to eat supper at WS restaurants as much as possible.

From what I hear, Frozen has increased Norway tourism considerably, despite a tenuous actual connection. What would Norway not like about having an old, oft-broken ride replaced by something that might continue to generate tourism? While the government might seem to distance itself from both the movie and the pavilion, the average Norwegian, aware of the situation, seems happy to get the new interest.

Jan

* case in point: a comment on another subject entirely in another web location had "wala" in it. Voila' - dumbing down.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    I'm confused as to which park at WDW that would be?
    I don't understand the confusion, but pretty obviously that is the MK. That's why it was the only park for a decade. Roy O. Disney lived long enough to get that part of his brother's Florida Project completed.

By all accounts, they found the original EPCOT idea to be unpractical without Walt's leadership, so they came up with some other ideas. The problem is they've largely walked away from their own focus and concepts for the park (and even the property as a whole) over the ensuing decades.

I'm not saying that everybody needs to care about those details, but there are books out there that talk about aiming for a lot more than just lowest-common-denominator park offerings and timeshares. The ideals espoused in those books have largely been dispensed with in exchange for cash (whatever sells the quickest with the masses).

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ugh. World showcase is not supposed to be another fantasyland. It's supposed to teach you about other countries and give you authentic cultural experiences. NOT take you on a ride through a fictional land that slightly resembles something Norwegian.
    Epcot has once again lost its direction and is becoming a mishmash of random weird stuff strung together.
    It's so sad, given what it was supposed to be.
    I could not agree more!!! You expressed my feelings about it very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any details about whether it will be a slow moving dark ride, or will the Viking boats still be used?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnine View Post
    Are there any details about whether it will be a slow moving dark ride, or will the Viking boats still be used?
    No details yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    Terra said add philly cheesesteaks in the American pavilion! More genius then the frozen ride!!!
    Seriously right!!!!
    I want some good food!!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    No details yet.
    This can't be counted as 100% but the folks in the know that have talked to me this week said the boat track will still be used, just expanded and the post-show area will be torn out to lengthen the ride. While it wasn't put to me this way it almost sounds like what happened with Test Track 2.0 where the exact same track was kept with different sets and scenes.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

There are boats in the movie. I would guess it will still be a boat ride.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    There are boats in the movie. I would guess it will still be a boat ride.
    I think if they are gonna take the ride down completely they are going to get rid of the water. It just makes maintenance and upkeep much easier and switching to an omnimover allows a smoother flow.The supposed budget seems a bit high for a simple overlay.

Post Thanks / Like

It is so funny to read the comments on this thread.

It is a natural fit for a Frozen ride to go into the Pavilion. First off, for those who want it in Fantasyland. Ok, where do you put it? Since it has been rebuilt there is no room. So, please, tell everybody, what are you going to close to open a Frozen ride? And remember since there is so much complaining about a Frozen ride going into Norway, you have to make sure there is no uproar about a ride being removed from Fantasyland.

Next, to say Frozen has nothing to do with Norway is totally wrong. It was, in fact, inspired by Norway. The movie has created a big increase in Norway tourism.

This ride going into Epcot and World Showcase will bring people through the gates. People want a Frozen attraction. The amount of children wearing Elsa shirts or dresses was incredible when I was there a few weeks ago. The Frozen event at DHS, esp the fireworks, is drawing people away from Epcot. So, there is a demand for this in the parks.

This will draw people into the World Showcase and Norway, in particular.

And, really, is the Maelstrom really that much of a classic ride? Is the consternation about the ride more nostalgia than anything else?

And I read these threads that complain about Disney being a business. Well, unfortunately, that is what they are. They are focused on bringing people through the gates so they can make money for the company and their investors. If putting in a Frozen attraction in Norway bring people through the gate, then it needs to be done.

If you don't like the attraction, then don't ride the attraction. But these changes happen and will continue to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

When this ride opens, the next complaint will be how short it is. Just like the new Mine train ride. Alot of hype, people loved the effects, but big disappointment on the length. Maelstrom is only like a 2 minute ride. Removing the theater maybe adds 30 seconds. This ride is gonna be two minutes of quick forced in scenes and songs mashed up as you go through it. This movie is pretty scenic, and would be a nice fit for a ride the size of Small World. Its slow moving so you have time for songs. And it has nice size rooms to elaborate on. Maelstrom is somewhat faster flowing so the scenes will be quick and songs short. And its a small narrow building. Which makes the sets smaller. Whats disappointing is that they arent building new and expanding Epcot. They are refurbishing and patching for short term fixes.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    When this ride opens, the next complaint will be how short it is. Just like the new Mine train ride. Alot of hype, people loved the effects, but big disappointment on the length. Maelstrom is only like a 2 minute ride. Removing the theater maybe adds 30 seconds. This ride is gonna be two minutes of quick forced in scenes and songs mashed up as you go through it. This movie is pretty scenic, and would be a nice fit for a ride the size of Small World. Its slow moving so you have time for songs. And it has nice size rooms to elaborate on. Maelstrom is somewhat faster flowing so the scenes will be quick and songs short. And its a small narrow building. Which makes the sets smaller. Whats disappointing is that they arent building new and expanding Epcot. They are refurbishing and patching for short term fixes.
    This is why I wish they'd do omnimover.

And yes, I agree...I never like the idea of closing one to open another. Just open another! Wasn't that what Walt wanted with the Florida project? More land...more freedom. HAHA! I went the "what would Walt want?" route. I don't really care anymore. Now it's just wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    This ride going into Epcot and World Showcase will bring people through the gates. People want a Frozen attraction.
    Oh, I did not realize that was what Epcot was about. Perhaps that is the cynical truth that was being disguised by the books, shows, and films produced about Epcot (by Disney and Imagineers themselves) over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the next big change in World Showcase isn't predicted by 9 or 10 months here at Intercot. It will be nice for Disney to lead & set the table themselves by delivering something we didn't know we wanted and would never have seen coming down the pipeline, but are impressed by nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

It is so funny to read the comments on this thread.

It is a natural fit for a Frozen ride to go into the Pavilion. First off, for those who want it in Fantasyland. Ok, where do you put it? Since it has been rebuilt there is no room. So, please, tell everybody, what are you going to close to open a Frozen ride? And remember since there is so much complaining about a Frozen ride going into Norway, you have to make sure there is no uproar about a ride being removed from Fantasyland.

Next, to say Frozen has nothing to do with Norway is totally wrong. It was, in fact, inspired by Norway. The movie has created a big increase in Norway tourism.

This ride going into Epcot and World Showcase will bring people through the gates. People want a Frozen attraction. The amount of children wearing Elsa shirts or dresses was incredible when I was there a few weeks ago. The Frozen event at DHS, esp the fireworks, is drawing people away from Epcot. So, there is a demand for this in the parks.

This will draw people into the World Showcase and Norway, in particular.

And, really, is the Maelstrom really that much of a classic ride? Is the consternation about the ride more nostalgia than anything else?

And I read these threads that complain about Disney being a business. Well, unfortunately, that is what they are. They are focused on bringing people through the gates so they can make money for the company and their investors. If putting in a Frozen attraction in Norway bring people through the gate, then it needs to be done.

If you don't like the attraction, then don't ride the attraction. But these changes happen and will continue to happen.
    Good post and I agree.
    I'm not going to lie, I'm a little dumbfounded as well. If Disney is really getting that bad or a ride is going to be that horrible, then thankfully we are not obiligated to ride, or even go to Disney. I know people don't like when I say this and I realize it *is* all opinions including mine. But I see more and more negative on a Disney board. I don't get it. Why continue then?
    I admit, I don't always like every change, but at the end I don't lose sleep over it and I still adore Disney and will continue to visit.

Again, I realize it is all our varying opinions though.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

The movie has created a big increase in Norway tourism.

Sorry I find this very hard to believe..... "Hey we love that Frozen movie so let's go to Norway for vacation this year". We have traveled outside of the US a lot and have never based our travel on a animated movie...... Norway isn't a place that you just go on a whim, maybe if the weather there was a little more favorable I might buy it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Sorry I find this very hard to believe..... "Hey we love that Frozen movie so let's go to Norway for vacation this year". We have traveled outside of the US a lot and have never based our travel on a animated movie...... Norway isn't a place that you just go on a whim, maybe if the weather there was a little more favorable I might buy it.
    It sounds crazy but it is actually true. Norway saw an increase of 28% over the past year in American tourism. Part of this is due to Disney offering Adventures by Disney trips to Norway. Additionally, it has become a stop for a few different cruise lines this past summer. A 28% increase is nothing to ignore.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it has increased tourism in Norway. I just did a quick Google search and a whole list of articles from business publications popped up (looks like Natalie and I were posting at the same time). This is from an article on CNBC's website:

Disney’s ‘Frozen’ fires up Norway’s tourism
    Jessica Morris, special to CNBC.com
    Friday, 20 Jun 2014 | 7:56 AM ET
    CNBC.com

Disney's latest animated blockbuster, "Frozen" is firing up Norway's tourism sector, as U.S. fans flock to experience the country's scenic delights.

The movie, which is set in the imaginary Kingdom of Arendelle, is loosely modeled on Norway's rugged coastline. Scandinavian mythology also runs through film, which features trolls, runes and staves churches.

Following the premier of Disney's Frozen earlier this year, travel to Norway from the US jumped 37 percent between January and March compared to that time last year, according to Innovation Norway.

Meanwhile, the number of people searching for flights to Norway soared by 154 percent, according to Flight Tracker. And Norwegian Air Shuttle reported a 52 percent increase on routes from the U.S. to Olso in March 2014, compared to March 2013.

"The movie has shown Norway as a spectacular destination," Per-Arne Tuftin, executive vice president at Innovation Norway told CNBC's Worldwide Exchange.

It's not Just Norway that has benefited from "Frozen". In March, it became the biggest grossing animated movie of all time, taking $1.7 billion at the box office, according to Walt Disney Studios.

The landmarks that inspired the film's breath-taking imagery, such as Akershus castle, Bergen and Thronheim, are scattered across the country, Tuftin said.

Nonetheless, enthused "Frozen" fans won't be able to travel on a budget: package tours typically cost around $5,000, according to Tuftin.
    Thrill-seekers and explorers typically visit Norway for its winter sports, outdoor adventures and magnificent scenery. But this could now be broadened to including younger Americans, as well as families, Tuftin said.

Travel and tourism contributed 6.2 percent of Norway's gross domestic product in 2012, and is expected to rise by 2.7 percent to 28.9 billion euros in 2013, according to the Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development.

And Tuftin thinks "Frozen" could continue to warm the country's tourisms sector in the future. "It's sustainable. America has been a very important market for us since the beginning of 1930," he said.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It sounds crazy but it is actually true. Norway saw an increase of 28% over the past year in American tourism. Part of this is due to Disney offering Adventures by Disney trips to Norway. Additionally, it has become a stop for a few different cruise lines this past summer. A 28% increase is nothing to ignore.

I still don't believe it's because of the movie.

As a big cruiser we have been to many different ports just because that's were the ship stops. Places we would not have gone to on our own. We usually choose our cruise on the majority of the stops but not for any one in particular port. I think that's what most do. I guess my point is most people wouldn't say "let's take a cruise to Norway"....it's more about the general area of the cruise.

As for Disney Adventures....they are going all over the world...and I think that they do attract the more adventurous traveler....and people who have more money to spend on vacation (because of the high costs).....People who have been to most of the "usual" places and are looking for vacations that are different.

This is just my opinion but a casual traveler who has not been to very many places is not going to see the movie and then decide to go to Norway.

Frozen has a very big following here on INTERCOT...has anyone here booked a vacation to Norway yet just because of the movie. I am interested to know.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't believe it's because of the movie.

As a big cruiser we have been to many different ports just because that's were the ship stops. Places we would not have gone to on our own. We usually choose our cruise on the majority of the stops but not for any one in particular port. I think that's what most do. I guess my point is most people wouldn't say "let's take a cruise to Norway"....it's more about the general area of the cruise.

As for Disney Adventures....they are going all over the world...and I think that they do attract the more adventurous traveler....and people who have more money to spend on vacation (because of the high costs).....People who have been to most of the "usual" places and are looking for vacations that are different.

This is just my opinion but a casual traveler who has not been to very many places is not going to see the movie and then decide to go to Norway.

Frozen has a very big following here on INTERCOT...has anyone here booked a vacation to Norway yet just because of the movie. I am interested to know.
    Intercot is a very small slice of "America." Whether anyone HERE booked a trip to Norway isn't really relevant. The fact is, tourism is up in Norway. It cannot just be a coincidence that there is that huge an increase in the same time period as the biggest animated movie hit of all time was released.

People with means DO book trips to places after seeing a movie that is set there. It happens all the time.
    Natalie

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: