Quantcast Sorcerer's Hat Gone - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I was never a fan of the big hat in it's current location. The hat itself is fine but it never made sense to me where they put it. Glad to see it's finally getting removed.

I loved when you could see see the Theater all the way back from the entrance.

I know others feel differently and don't know the Studios without the hat. Hopefully they find a "good" place and relocate it.

I like the idea of it becoming the entrance to Fantasmic, that makes perfect sense.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    While it's a cool "icon" and good for photo ops, overall it's an eyesore and interrupts the flow of foot traffic, especially on really crowded days. I won't be sad to see it go. Tower of Terror is my preferred park icon for DHS photo ops, anyway.
    I have never liked it, though as others have mentioned, relocating it outside the entrance might be a good idea. I miss the days when you could look up the main street and see the Chinese theater
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned the event stage looking forlorn without the hat behind it.

Easy solution, already done -- the event stage is gone. Yeah, I was surprised too. But there is no event stage in front of the hat as of my last visit, October 18.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Someone mentioned the event stage looking forlorn without the hat behind it.

Easy solution, already done -- the event stage is gone. Yeah, I was surprised too. But there is no event stage in front of the hat as of my last visit, October 18.
    Uh, you sure about that? I was there on the 19th and there was a rock band performing up there.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

HS obviously is undergoing major changes. But, they are needed. Hopefully the next five years will show progress that will last at least 10 years before it's time to change things again. Progress.
    (46) CB -91,95,08,13 (2)
    Poly-93, 01 Port Orl FQ - 97,98, 09, 10 Riverside 01,09, 18 Coronado -99,08
    BC - 01,03,05,06,07
    Dland 03 AK - 06 Pop-14,18 All Star 14,17,18,23
    Christmas at WL 06,07
    SS - 07,10 WL - 06, 07,10 Epcot 08,21
    GF 11 YC 12, 16, 18, 19, 23 DS 21, offsite 14
    Dolphin 21

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Lots of good sources confirming this is a done deal... See ya later you big hat... you won't be missed...
    You would be forever wrong about that! I know I'm in the minority on this board, but I LOVE that Hat (see my signature). When I wend to WDW for the first time in 2002 on my honeymoon, me and the wife fell in love with that Hat. To us, it really represented the Disney side of the WDW resort. This was before the digital camera age took off, so when I got back home, there were hardly any good Sorcerer Hat pics online. When we returned in 2004, the first park we hit was MGM and the first thing we did was take a photo in front of that Majestic Hat!

But I see that the whiners finally got their way and the Hat will be no more. I feel a great sense of loss with it being taken out, as well as a feeling of betrayal.

It seems what so many of these folks want is less Disney and more authenticity to ... I dont' know what. Ooh, ooh, I know. Let's make it look really Hollywood authentic and have some drunk bums laying around on the curb covered in trashbags and cardboard boxes. Have you been to Hollywood? I have and that's what it really looks like. Give me the Hat.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of angst for this post, but I've read and listened to the Hat Haters for the past decade, so let me say my piece on this day. With two of my favorites being taken away in just a few months, the Hat and the World Showcase Players, I'm finding less reason to fly out to Orlando. Just hoping at this point that the Hat gets moved to the front gate or somewhere where it can still be seen and made into a picture area. But it won't be the same.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

The hat was appropriate for the park but inappropriately placed, IMHO. I'll miss it but I won't.

I'm more eager to hear what's planned for the park as a whole.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

While I did/do love the hat, I was OK with its location for a short period of time, but was more than ready for it to move along many years ago. I agree with most other posters that it should be relocated to either the park entrance or added to the entrance of Fantasmic.

To truly do a full and I believe lasting makeover, I think they need to remove the "Studios" from DHS and make it Disney's Hollywood Aventure or something to that effect. Removal of the studio tour, LMA, the NYC scape and the IJ stunt show would almost completely erase the studio components and allow them to add Star Warrs, Pixar, and maybe some more Muppets to the park while restoring/maintaining the Hollywood theme at the entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that there are people who love the hat and I do know how you are feeling... Feel the same way about a lot of things that are long gone.
    I never did like the hat. When it covered up the biggest hidden Mickey I was bummed and never took a liking to it because of that. This was kind of like turning Cinderella's castle into a pink birthday cake for me. It was just an annoyance to me more than anything.
    I am however super excited for more Star Wars in that park. (and believe me 6 years ago I would've told everyone they were crazy if I would ever be excited for this). But now having 2 little boys that are pretty much infatuated with anything Star Wars this is just more memories to be had.
    I am always sad to see change regardless and I am happy to at least be going in a few weeks before the hat is gone to take one more picture for my kids.
    I'm just going to pray that there will be no icicle or snowflake taking its place.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Move it

Relocate it but don't lose it altogether. i remember the park without it but my kids have never seen it without. Would be a shame to lose altogether

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Relocate it but don't lose it altogether. i remember the park without it but my kids have never seen it without. Would be a shame to lose altogether
    Exactly this. I hate that it's not going to be my favorite family picture of each WDW trip. But at least keep it around so it can still be a photo stop. Still, it won't be the same.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I like the hat, but not where it was. It seemed like it was just dropped out of the sky into the middle of the plaza. I wouldn't mind seeing it moved out to the entry way. That would make a rather grand way to enter DHS, much like walking underneath the train station at MK. Instead of simply walking into the ticket scanners it would be an abrupt break from the outside world to the magic inside.

And if they rename DHS to Disney's Hollywood Adventure, it would make even more sense.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Exactly this. I hate that it's not going to be my favorite family picture of each WDW trip. But at least keep it around so it can still be a photo stop. Still, it won't be the same.
    I can understand that some are sad to see it go, and I can't begrudge you that feeling. Heaven knows I've felt that way about quite a few things over the year. But honestly, if they relocated it, it would not make all that big of a difference to your photos! The thing is so gosh darn big it obscures anything else behind it. Put a few trees around it and a spotlight at night and the pictures will look exactly alike!

That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath on it actually being relocated.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will be recycled either. It won't come down in one piece, and they will likely just scrap it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I don't think it will be recycled either. It won't come down in one piece, and they will likely just scrap it.
    We watched the hat being built when DS was a toddler. I took an adorable picture of him in a Sorcerer hat in front of the walls hiding the structure as it was going up. I will be sad to see it gone, as it represents some of our best times at Disney MGM Studios.

I agree with Marianne & Natalie. The structure itself is a massive support of steel, and I would bet my next Disney vacation that they would not invest the money to rebuild it once it comes down.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    If that's the case, maybe it could be cut into 1" squares and sold as souvenirs. The money could be donated to charity (or more likely - to the bottom-line). I'd buy a piece of the magic.

Of course, I'd much rather just have the hat relocated. I was in the Studios back in the MGM days and I don't remember the water tower or theater as the park "Weenie" icon. I do associate the hat with DHS tho.

As the saying goes - change is inevitable, except from a vending machine -
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I can understand that some are sad to see it go, and I can't begrudge you that feeling. Heaven knows I've felt that way about quite a few things over the year. But honestly, if they relocated it, it would not make all that big of a difference to your photos! The thing is so gosh darn big it obscures anything else behind it. Put a few trees around it and a spotlight at night and the pictures will look exactly alike!

That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath on it actually being relocated.
    Good point. And your last line is my biggest fear.

And can I say, when it comes to talking about WDW (good or bad), this is the only board where it's worth doing. I think I'll be a lot more faithful to this sight for my Orlando vacation business.

Post Thanks / Like

who misses the hand on SE in epcot....
    the hat was supposed to be temp, just like the hand and the year on SE.....what if it was placed on Main St in MK blocking the castle....I think right outside the gates of HS would be a good location.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Good point. And your last line is my biggest fear.

And can I say, when it comes to talking about WDW (good or bad), this is the only board where it's worth doing. I think I'll be a lot more faithful to this sight for my Orlando vacation business.
    There are other Disney boards?
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    who misses the hand on SE in epcot....
    the hat was supposed to be temp, just like the hand and the year on SE.....what if it was placed on Main St in MK blocking the castle....I think right outside the gates of HS would be a good location.
    I actually miss the hand on SE...
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: