Quantcast DD applying Disney College Program - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
    My DD did the CP intern program and wound up staying there for two years. She began as a CP on retail in MK and then moved into part time on rides in MK then transitioned to full time on rides before getting picked for the beta rollout team for FP+.

After coming home and doing another year of college, she has gotten "homesick" and has been accepted for another CP tour beginning in August. This time she will be working in resorts.

For those parents of CP interns, pay attention to all the discounts. You can save tons of money with a little planning. They also get special discounts on a seasonal basis that will save even more money.

And lastly, for those of you who might be afraid that working for the Mouse might kill a little of the magic, know that for our DD, it merely enhanced it. She now has all sorts of behind the scenes knowledge that just makes it even more magical for her.

For those accepted already - Congrats! Enjoy! And TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! You will remember this for the rest of your life (as well as the friends you make).
    Congrats Ramblingman on your DD returning this August. We'll see you then! I don't think I want my DD staying 2 years, LOL. I want her to finish her program at college. She really doesn't have a fantasy to work for WDW after graduation. But you never know, DCP Fall 2015 could change all of that for her I guess.

Looks like we will be seeing a lot of Intercot families there this fall for DCP!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggun35 View Post
    My son was also accepted in the College Program and is arriving May 26. He went to the auditions in Nashville and found out a few weeks ago that he will be a character, being an athletic male and 6'3" didn't hurt! He's taking his car and we are driving down with him to spend a couple of days onsite before we say good-bye until Jan. We also have a trip planned in Sept and hope to spend some time with him then.
    Our DS checked into the DCP last week and has been very busy so far. He and his new friend Goofy made some friends at EPCOT yesterday, he and his other friend Baloo are making some friends today. He has said nothing but great things about his experience and the people that he has met so far. We were very pleased with the security at his "dorm" and the bus system for the castmembers, it relieved some of our stress about his trip. Can't wait until Sept when we get to see him and meet his new friends.
    10/92 Off-Site
    10/97 All-Star Music
    06/06 French Quarter
    05/08 French Quarter

12/09 French Quarter
    9/10 French Quarter
    07/12 Off-Site
    11/13 All-Star Music
    6/15 Coronado Springs
    9/15 Pop Century
    01/16 All-Star Sports
    11/16 French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Our DS checked into the DCP last week and has been very busy so far. He and his new friend Goofy made some friends at EPCOT yesterday, he and his other friend Baloo are making some friends today. He has said nothing but great things about his experience and the people that he has met so far. We were very pleased with the security at his "dorm" and the bus system for the castmembers, it relieved some of our stress about his trip. Can't wait until Sept when we get to see him and meet his new friends.
    Biggun, thanks for the update. We are enjoying the summer but looking forward to August when DD will start her adventure. So I have concerns about the bussing system. Does your Son have a vehicle or only use the bus for transportation? How does that seem to be working out for shopping for groceries? It looks like my DD will be without a vehicle for her DCP program so I am concerned.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    Biggun, thanks for the update. We are enjoying the summer but looking forward to August when DD will start her adventure. So I have concerns about the bussing system. Does your Son have a vehicle or only use the bus for transportation? How does that seem to be working out for shopping for groceries? It looks like my DD will be without a vehicle for her DCP program so I am concerned.
    He uses both his car and the bus system for work and other trips. He is in Patterson and there is a Publix grocery store near by, I think he drives his roomates without cars to the store when they have the same time off so I'm sure her roommates will do the same. I believe the Orlando bus system has a stop by the dorms and it might be free for DCP'ers but not sure about that, I'll ask him about it. We did notice groups of kids walking to nearby stores when we dropped him off, the Publix is within walking distance along with several outlet malls.
    10/92 Off-Site
    10/97 All-Star Music
    06/06 French Quarter
    05/08 French Quarter

12/09 French Quarter
    9/10 French Quarter
    07/12 Off-Site
    11/13 All-Star Music
    6/15 Coronado Springs
    9/15 Pop Century
    01/16 All-Star Sports
    11/16 French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Forever a child,

I found the following on one of the DCP Guides:

Do students have access to grocery stores or other things outside
    of the housing complex?
    Our transportation system provides buses to and from work, as well as the grocery store, post office,
    bank, shopping mall and other areas of interest near our housing complexes. In addition, there are
    grocery stores and drug stores located within walking distance of each of our complexes.
    10/92 Off-Site
    10/97 All-Star Music
    06/06 French Quarter
    05/08 French Quarter

12/09 French Quarter
    9/10 French Quarter
    07/12 Off-Site
    11/13 All-Star Music
    6/15 Coronado Springs
    9/15 Pop Century
    01/16 All-Star Sports
    11/16 French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

He uses both his car and the bus system for work and other trips. He is in Patterson and there is a Publix grocery store near by, I think he drives his roomates without cars to the store when they have the same time off so I'm sure her roommates will do the same. I believe the Orlando bus system has a stop by the dorms and it might be free for DCP'ers but not sure about that, I'll ask him about it. We did notice groups of kids walking to nearby stores when we dropped him off, the Publix is within walking distance along with several outlet malls.
    Forever a child,

I found the following on one of the DCP Guides:

Do students have access to grocery stores or other things outside
    of the housing complex?
    Our transportation system provides buses to and from work, as well as the grocery store, post office,
    bank, shopping mall and other areas of interest near our housing complexes. In addition, there are
    grocery stores and drug stores located within walking distance of each of our complexes.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew the buses were going to the nearby stores. I just haven't heard how well it was working out for someone who might be doing that. I believe all DD's roommates will have vehicles. We have never purchased a car for her since she does not need one at her college. We are still debating if we will make the investment or not.

Thanks again for sharing your son's experience!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

In the final couple of weeks before my DD leaves. She has to head back to her college for a few days for her sorority sisterhood week and then she will head directly to WDW. So I am sad to see her going!

We have been challenged with trying to get everything she needs for her Spring college semester and for her semester at WDW. So we have packing piles for both, LOL. Bought new luggage as she is flying and I'll ship a few things. Hopefully she will fair well without the car.

I have my trip planned for Sept and Dec to visit her. So I am excited about that.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter leaves tomorrow and I am trying not to be sad. But it is hard. I will miss her! She won't get to come back home until next May!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

My DD will be lifeguarding at the Disney's Polynesian Resort!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - that's awesome! After so much planning she's rewarded with a great location to work. I am so happy for her!!!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joanna and KylesMom!

Well, DD officially completed and passed the Ellis training and exam. So she is officially a lifeguard! She also found out she will be guarding at both the Grand Floridian and Polynesian! So she is super happy about her locations. She started her training yesterday and will be working on earning her ears through next week. She had to go to two locations to find some suits that were small enough for her. LOL

My trip is set for the end of the month and she was able to secure us 50% off at AKL for four of our 5 nights. I am taking my niece on her first trip to WDW. Her mother agreed to let her miss school to do this trip with me! So I am super excited to get to take my niece, visit my DD and stay at our very first Deluxe! Our last night will be at CBR which is also a new resort for me so I am super excited!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to her!

And you'll love AKL- I stayed there after one of my CPs and it is such a beautiful resort
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter had her phone interview yesterday, so now the waiting begins...question...any perks for the families of the CP kids? Any breaks on tickets and such?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

16. Likes forever a child liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    My daughter had her phone interview yesterday, so now the waiting begins...question...any perks for the families of the CP kids? Any breaks on tickets and such?
    Good Luck to your daughter. My DD is really enjoying her time in the program.

My DD was able to get me 50% off rack room rates for our AKL stay in a standard room. For Christmas so far we have 50% off POR. The 50% discount is with her also staying in the room as a guest. If she was not staying in the room, it would have been 40% off.

She currently has 20% off most TS restaurants but there are time restrictions and BOG and all QS are not include. That runs through Oct 3rd then there will be a new discount. She will be receiving their Christmas discount booklet some time in late Oct, so I have no idea what that will be at the moment. Depending on the day, there has been possible DDP discounts, sadly when I called yesterday to add to our sept visit, there were not any showing up in the system. CM's can add them up to 24 hours before Check-in.

Merchandise is 20% off but she has been buying stuff at the D Store so those discounts can be quite a bit more. CM's can get discounts (I believe 20%) on select nights in Sept for the MNSSHP which could include guests too. My DD is going to the last one in Sept. Sadly though, we arrive the night after the last sept date so I had to pay full price for our Oct 1 party tickets.

DCP CM's get 6 guest park entry days and can get up to 3 guests for each of those days in for free. There are black out dates and so for example, F&W Sat & Sun were blacked out at Epcot for us, so we are planning our Epcot visit on Friday, so you just have to plan ahead. They post black out dates for 3 months out, so it makes it a challenge for those of us who plan further out. I just looked at past historical black out dates to help me, which you can easily google. CM's can also get discounts on MYW Park Tickets, I believe it is only 10% and they have to purchase at the D Store. So for example, during my Christmas trip there will be total black out of parks for her guest pass but I already had a 5 day ticket saved for that but if wanted to you could get the 10% off the purchase of your tickets for those times.

Hope this helps.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that all sounds complicated. I look forward to checking her in, visiting her, etc....however the expense of that is something I do not look forward to...thanks for the info!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

What an exciting time for all of you! Is she enjoying the life guarding? I would want to sit by the pool and take pictures of her working, lol.

Enjoy your visits with her.

20. Thanks forever a child thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Wow, that all sounds complicated. I look forward to checking her in, visiting her, etc....however the expense of that is something I do not look forward to...thanks for the info!!
    I has been a new experience trying to book a trip since booking as a CM is different. We are doing two trips...so yeah, it is expensive this year. There will be no WDW trips next year.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    What an exciting time for all of you! Is she enjoying the life guarding? I would want to sit by the pool and take pictures of her working, lol.

Enjoy your visits with her.
    It is really exciting. We had a great time! She had all of her time off during our stay so I didn't get to see her work. We visited the Poly and she showed us the pool where she works. We have been there before but not since the renovations. She really loves both resorts for different reasons. She is planning to spend a lot of time at the F&W during her free time. And she has been taking advantage of the classes, the seminars and networking events.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would check in and update. My DD has really been enjoying her time with the DCP. She completed all six of the two-hour seminar classes. She has two more weeks of her regular classes which have been great to introduce her to different areas within Disney as an employer and what those areas do. She has had one networking meet-n-greet with a department that works in the area where she could use her degree. She is trying to get a few more of those networking meetings in before her program ends. She has decided to apply for the professional internship within the department she meet with.

She was able to be housed with only one of the five other girls she was trying to be roommates with. The roommate situation is ok. Not great, but not awful either. There seem to be only two girls that do any any cleaning (my DD and one other girl). They don't seem to understand the concept of loading/unloading the dishwasher, cleaning your shedding hair out of the shower or sink, vacuuming, etc. I thought my DD might be the messy one, so apparently they are worse then her, which she is not really thrilled about.

She ended up in Vista and she said it has not been awful. It is close to the buses, she is really close to where her classes are held and can just walk to them. And it hasn't been loud. If there are a ton of parties, they must be somewhere else as she hasn't had any issues with noise and the general craziness that Vista is known for.

When I visited, I saw her apartment. They were really dirty when she moved in (I sent her with some cleaning items thinking this might be the case). They were ok. Not filthy but maintenance seems to [not do a great job]. For example, they used spray paint to touch up the trim along the floor instead of paint from a can with a brush, so there is overspray on the carpet. Just a ton of silly things like that.

Since she is a lifeguard, her hours are not awful. Obviously, the pools don't open and close near as early or late as the parks so she has never worked super late. I think she did an inservice training once that ran her until 12:30 pm. She she has never worked till 1 or 3 am like many. She wanted to try to work the MNSSHP giving out trick or treat candy just to have the experience of working in MK but her classes and regular work schedule always conflicted with trying to do that.

Overall, she is doing really well and enjoying her program. I was really worried she would feel like she was getting too much Disney and regret taking the semester off. The opposite has happened. She likes the people she works with and really is taking advantage of the classes, seminars, networking and having fun too.
    Last edited by brownie; 11-01-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Language
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I will be in WDW a week from today to spend the week with my DD as she approaches the end of her DCP program. She has really had a great time. She attended "Graduation" last week and this week was the CP Winter Formal at Coronado Springs. She has not had a problem getting days off when she needs them. Her boyfriend visited her over Thanksgiving week and they had a great time together. It was his first visit for the most part so she had to introduce him to her "home away from home."

I am looking forward to all new dining experiences and two new deluxe resorts to visit. We are also really excited that she was granted early release from work by her manager so that she can spend two weeks at home before returning to college. So she is not sure if she will get to return on 12/24 or 12/27 yet but we are really excited to have a little time together. She has one more professional meet & greet this week with another imagineer who is working on the Frozen ride in Epcot, so she is excited about that opportunity.

I feel this has been a wonderful experience for her. She is graduating at the end of 2016 and will be reapplying for the Professional Internship with Disney. I am not sure where this experience will lead her but it has given her something to strive for. Thanks for taking this journey with us.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL