Quantcast Last minute trip ... no go

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last minute trip ... no go

I decided sort of last minute to take my kids to Universal over the Mardi Gras holidays. They have the entire week off of school. I knew that week would be busier at the beginning of the week because it is President's Day weekend too, but I thought towards the end of the week would be doable.

The only hotel with rooms available at the end of the week (Wednesday through Saturday, Wednesday-Friday, Thursday-Saturday) is Cabana Bay and that's a no-go because my kids are spoiled with Express Pass (buying Unlimited Express Pass is crazy expensive).

So...no trip. Not sure when we will be able to plan another trip ... maybe next year at Mardi Gras. I guess we will need to make up our minds sooner and plan earlier next year!

Good to know they are busy. Sad for me that I can't swing a trip this year.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad Karen. I was thinking about you guys and wondering if you were still going.

I faced a similar issue today while trying to book Big Cedar Lodge for a specific 4 day weekend in July.....Not happening! Nothing that we wanted was available. Looks like we are going to have to plan that for another time as well.

So much for the rough economy, huh? Doesn't seem to be a shortage of people vacationing these days!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

sorry it didnt work out. im staying at Hard Rock on Monday for the express pass...otherwise Cabana to save money. and its only gonna b 2 nights..and my first orlando trip wo disney so that will be hard too
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Because they only have the three hotels, they do get booked up. They do sell out a lot, even non holidays. After I book I always keep checking back for better rates and have seen hotels fill up in advance.

It stinks since you were looking forward to going...keeping checking back...maybe someone will cancel.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Because they only have the three hotels, they do get booked up. They do sell out a lot, even non holidays. After I book I always keep checking back for better rates and have seen hotels fill up in advance.

It stinks since you were looking forward to going...keeping checking back...maybe someone will cancel.
    I know ... I really should learn just to book it and cancel if things do not work out.

I keep checking, but I'm lazy, so the more work a vacation becomes ... the less likely I am to want to go. Which is why I will not be visiting WDW any time in the near future.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

I know that feeling. We are going to WDW on Easter break, but that is just because we have timeshare weeks to use up and we are taking friends of my son and we wanted a place that they could go off on their own. Planning the trip is no longer fun.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    The only hotel with rooms available at the end of the week (Wednesday through Saturday, Wednesday-Friday, Thursday-Saturday) is Cabana Bay and that's a no-go because my kids are spoiled with Express Pass (buying Unlimited Express Pass is crazy expensive).
    Are there no rooms available at HRH, Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay for all of those nights, or would you be able to do one night at one of the more expensive hotels and then move to Cabana Bay? Then you would have two days of unlimited Express Pass and could still benefit from the early entry in to see the Harry Potter stuff. Not ideal, I agree, but a possibility.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

good suggestion about checking and staying at diff resorts..
    and you can always use Magical Journeys to check resorts
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I would totally recommend the Cabana Bay Resort. We LOVED it! Didn't miss the express pass at all since yiu can't even use it on any of the HP stuff. Never needed it for anything else.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Are there no rooms available at HRH, Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay for all of those nights, or would you be able to do one night at one of the more expensive hotels and then move to Cabana Bay? Then you would have two days of unlimited Express Pass and could still benefit from the early entry in to see the Harry Potter stuff. Not ideal, I agree, but a possibility.
    I checked individual nights, 2 nights, 3 nights, variations of the days. Nothing. No rooms available at HRH, Portofino or RP hotels. It appears to be booked solid.

My kids are so spoiled to express pass (they rode mummy 8 times in a row last trip), I really do not want to risk no express pass. Especially if you use the booked hotels and $89.99 a day per person express pass charge as indication of potential crowd levels.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Did you check Expedia or Travelocity? Often they have rooms available when the official site does not.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Did you check Expedia or Travelocity? Often they have rooms available when the official site does not.
    I have noticed this myself. You could also just buy the unlimited express pass for one day (the busiest day, of course) and ride your hearts out for that one day. Still expensive, I agree, but with the rates they have going at Cabana Bay right now it would probably cost much less than staying at the other resorts. And it really is a great resort for kids--lots of activities to do on the days that you wouldn't have an express pass.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I checked kayak (it searches and compares multiple travel sites for their rates and availability) and the only thing that popped up was RP for one night for over $500. Crazy. I guess I just waited too late. I know next time if I'm thinking about going to just book it and cancel if necessary. Oh well ... maybe next Mardi Gras holidays.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: