Quantcast runDisney/runICOT/cheerICOT Weekend Wrap-Up

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default runDisney/runICOT/cheerICOT Weekend Wrap-Up

Thought I'd copy and paste my Facebook post (with a few edits) over here. What a great weekend!!!!

Whew! What a week, truthfully full of ups and downs, but amazing nonetheless. It started with us finding out that John, our fearless INTERCOT leader, would not be able to come because of sad circumstances. Even though we all knew he was where he should and needed to be, he was sorely missed. We enjoyed Skyping daily updates with him though, and hope that helped him feel a part of this event he'd planned for over a year. We hope we represented him, and our fundraising efforts for THYCA (Thyroid Cancer Awareness), well!

I finally escaped the snowstorm in DC and made it to sunny FL to end Carol's ‪#‎whereismel‬ campaign, and we then had a great first full day in Animal Kingdom with our ICOT pals. Something I never thought would happen in my lifetime - I spent time in Animal Kingdom with Ian Mitchell! What a fun afternoon with Carol, Ian, Gary (dpamac), Jennifer (jennsky), Carolyn (Buttercup) and Sally Mae (badkitty). I needed the great company and fun after a stressful couple of days.

The next day started the races, and the start of sleep deprived, totally fun craziness! I love being a part of runDisney events, as a participant and cheering for all those participating (either for a cause dear to them, or as a personal goal, or even those running for the awesome bling!), but I have to say that Thursday morning's 5K was challenging. It's hard to convey to those who were in the Northeast last week dealing with the negative wind chills just how cold we were that morning, but I'll just say that if our CANADA gals were cold, it was cold! We were miserable, and I feel like the participants were luckier than the cheerers, because at least we got to finally start running and warm up a bit. Man, was it cold! So cold, it was hard to represent in our pink THYCA/‪#‎runICOT‬ shirts, but we tried! After warming up and spending a great day at the MK, we had an AMAZING turnout for our Tambu Lounge meet. So great to see Ed and his awesome wife Yvonne, and new Florida transplant Heather (BeachClubBabe). Longtime INTERCOTees are the best! A huge shout out to our CM server Chris at Tambu. He handled our group like a champ and with a wicked sense of humor. Love him!

The next morning, ‪#‎cheerICOT‬ rocked the Boardwalk on teal THYCA/#runICOT day. This is my favorite morning to cheer, and thank goodness it was much warmer than the previous morning. Thanks to Carol, Ian, Gary, Carolyn, Jennifer, Marci (Disney4us2), Marci's daughter Jessica, Michael (NotaGeek), Quentin, Dawn (tiggerears) and Justin (yungbuck73) for representing. So proud of our 10Kers - the entire Kemmer family (Spencer, ICOTee mariak and their girls), Natalie (BrerGnat) and her hubby Angel, Mel (JMTStone), Sally Mae (badkitty), Cindy (AgentC - running and rockin' her very first 10K!), and my hubby James. I call the morning a success after waking up some of the Boardwalk folks with ‪#‎morecowbell‬.

Saturday brought purple THYCA/#runICOT day, and cheering the Half Marathoners on Main Street USA! Although logistically this day can be a bit of a challenge, it all worked out and no T.I.M. in sight, and it's truly magical seeing the runners and how they love running up Main Street towards Cinderella Castle. Although our number of runners dwindle on Saturday and Sunday, the #cheerICOT crew still has plenty of passion for those left, and thanks to Gary, and new awareness for Team In Training (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.) We hope our little cheer crew made a difference every time we yelled "GO TEAM!" After seeing James, Spencer and Mel in the MK, we all headed to our new favorite spot near the Epcot bus depot to see the runners again at about mile 12. Day 3 was a success!

INTERCOT's Gary's Column meet that afternoon was a great success! What a huge turnout. I was especially happy to see Lizzy and to meet Magical Journeys Denise. Also great to see Nikki (disneykidssince1970), freshly back in the US from her fabulous Switzerland holiday (we didn't get to visit enough!). Always a good time at Column.

Sunday was already here, and it was INTERCOT blue/#runICOT day. It was a big day for our Dopey Challenge runners (James, Spencer and new INTERCOTee Robert aka Rufuscube) and a milestone day for Christine. 26.2 miles is an astounding accomplishment, but can you imagine running 22.4 in the 3 days prior as well? Amazing job to James, Spencer and Robert! You're all COMPLETELY Dopey, and James is now perfectly Dopey, having completed it in it's first two years. We'll see if the tradition continues. I love you, babe! You always rock it!

According to a stat I found online, only 0.5% of the US population has run a marathon. Girlfriend, you are now a part of that very select few. So awesome! Christine set this as a goal for herself, wanting to run every distance runDisney offered. Mentally she powered through, telling her body to hush up, and although she was hurting yesterday (and maybe still even today ), she should be so proud. We sure were, and loved cheering you along the route. We hope we didn't interfere in your reunion with your biggest cheerleader, John (alongfortheride), but we just wanted to see you finish and let you know how happy we were!

So there is my NOVEL! Whew. It was a great, inspiring weekend, and I always enjoy spending time with ICOT pals. I love you all!!! Who knew when I went looking for some Disney vacation planning help on the internet 12 or so years ago, that you all would be so very important to me. When is our next get together?!?!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping we'd have a written trip report recap from you - or the whole crew even!!!!

It was wonderful catching up on the days' activities during the mini podcasts, and it's wonderful to read how much fun you all had. My only regret is that I could not be there to share in all of the fun! Well, not ALL of the fun - the first race I would gladly skip, as my bones don't like the cold at all after my cycling accident last summer! I know - what am I still doing in Illinois?! Hehe

How wonderful that so many of you were able to get together. Everyone who ran should be exceptionally proud of their accomplishments!

Thanks for sharing, Mel!!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend was great fun and I'm so glad I got to be a part of it, as both a runner and a cheerer. There was definitely some magic going on as I was able to run the entire 10k pain free which is not something I have EVER been able to do. I honestly went in expecting to have to walk the majority of it. That was my longest distance run and I enjoyed every second of it.

I wish I could have been there to cheer on the marathoners and see Christine finish. We briefly watched from the YC before we had to leave for the airport. I can't imagine how excited you all were to see her finally cross that line. I was following her all day on FB. She is a rock star for being able to FB post AND run at the same time.

I am definitely hooked on at least attending another Run Disney event as a member of #cheerICOT.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to say the funniest things I saw during the full marathon were either the 4 gentlemen I passed at Mile 15.3 (McDonald's overpass) whom decided to take a break during the race to grab breakfast at McDonald's, or the countless people who decided to stop for a beer or margarita in Epcot prior to finishing.

Was a great weekend overall, and glad to meet all the Intercot crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm not a runner, you made me wish I had been part of this event!!

Thanks for the recap, Mel!!

Congrats to all the runners who participated - what a great accomplishment!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like this was a fantastic meet/event! Had I been home during this time, I would have attended. I look forward to future plans. Congrats to all the runners.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I had such a blast at #runICOT! Thank you Melanie for the recap. I so love my INTERCOT family. It is thrilling to run the races and seeing the #cheerICOT team raising the roof. It may be even more exciting though to be cheering and spotting our runners on the course. It is also a lot of fun cheering for complete strangers. Many are so appreciative. GO TEAM! I loved ringing the cowbell and our team got a lot of attention from using them. (#morecowbell) The cowbells were know though to cause injury and I am now afflicted with the dreaded "cowbell twitch". HA! You other cowbellers know what I mean! LOL

There are so many memories of the trip. INTERCOT is the best group ever. I'm so glad and lucky to call you all friends. Cheers!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

I so enjoyed following you guys on Facebook and Instragram!!! I felt like I was there! I was cheering you all on in spirit!

Maybe next year, I'll be out there with you guys!

Congratulations to all those who ran and to our very own Christine Warner who RAN HER FIRST MARATHON!!! YOU DID IT CHRISTINE!!!
    So proud of you!!!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recap and allowing me to follow all the updates through the weekend. I hope to make it to a meet one of these times.

Congrats to all the runners. What a great accomplishment.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

It was so much fun to see some old friends and meet some new ones! Already looking forward to next year!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I met up with my local Team in Training people yesterday for an event in preparation to start training for our 100 mile ride around Tahoe and fundraising that is wrapped up in that.

I spoke to my fundraising campaign manager, who was down there last week, and he was extremely grateful for our cheering of the TNT runners, especially those who were coming through in the later parts of the events (SO IMPORTANT to cheer then). He said they were amazed at the presence of support on the route and he feels we played a big part in that.

So I thank everyone very deeply for the support you gave to that big goofy group of strangers. That group has become an important part of my life this past year. They helped me a lot while my brother was being treated for multiple myeloma and it means a lot that my INTERCOT family jumped in behind me and gave those guys that extra push they needed.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

It was so much fun being a part of the cheer squad. It was great to see those I knew from last year and meeting new friends this year.

I was also so inspired by our ICOT runners and a couple of walkers using walkers. So inspired that I thought if they can do that, so can I.

Going to build up my walking so I can do a 5 K and/or 10k next January. So when is registration?

Can't wait for next January and the next ICOT cheer and meets.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: