Quantcast My DW "Losing The Magic"....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default My DW "Losing The Magic"....

Ok, never thought it would come to this but the DW - fearless leader, uber WDW lover, and master planner of our yearly pilgrimages to the World (north of a dozen trips by now) - has apparently soured on the Mouse! One of the main issues is the new and improved and altered and tweaked FP system. In past years we had this down to a science and worked those little booths to perfection, almost always getting to see/do what we wanted regardless of crowds, time of day - and all was good. The new system with its restrictions and limitations....not so much. On our last trip we definitely missed some ride opportunities that were never an issue on prior trips. Add in the usual $$$$, crowds, occasional rude guest and it was not one of our better visits.

So please, give me some hints, tips, suggestions on how to get DW back to her 'Happy Place' mentality!! We have a potential trip to Hawaii in Summer '16 so looking to squeeze something in before then. Otherwise the Mouse won't be seeing us for quite awhile! Thanx....
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear. Perhaps, just time will do the trick and she will be willing to try again despite the changes.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a trip to Disneyland?

Personally, I have no desire to visit WDW in the near or distant future. Planning is one thing .... scheduling my vacations down to the minute detail of picking rides 60 days out? No thank you. However, now I want to experience Disneyland more than ever ... a Disney experience without all the hassle.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Maybe a trip to Disneyland?
    However, now I want to experience Disneyland more than ever ... a Disney experience without all the hassle.
    Better hurry. It'll be at Disneyland as well in the not too distant future. A timeframe hasn't been announced, but the intention has.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah I am not a planner either. Not a big fan of FP+. To me don't worry about get what fast pass you can and wait were you must and enjoy what you can. Don't let all changes get you or your DW all bogged down.
    Here we go feel the flow its the universe of energy.

One little spark imagination, its how our minds create creation. Right at the start of everyting that's new one little spark light up for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is probably heresy to say on a Disney fan site, but maybe she just needs a break for a few years? From your sig it looks like you've been going about every year for over a decade, maybe that's just been too long without a break for her? Familiarity breeds contempt, absence makes the heart fonder and all that? As much as we all love Disney you can't force someone to like it so I don't know if 'convincing her to like it' is really the right approach. With the extra time maybe you could save up some extra $$ to do something special or unique the next time?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above poster. We were going to Disney about every two years - and finally decided to try something new and different (long before any changes at the parks). It resulted in us visiting some amazing cities throughout the US and learning a lot (we're not lay on the beach vacationers, we're vacation "doers"). Also, visit a few other theme parks (gulp) - and you begin to appreciate all that Disney has to offer (themeing, CMs - even with the occasional cranky one at WDW, etc). After a several year hiatus we're finally going back! And everyone is more excited than ever!
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RavsRuleDisney! View Post
    Ok, never thought it would come to this but the DW - fearless leader, uber WDW lover, and master planner of our yearly pilgrimages to the World (north of a dozen trips by now) - has apparently soured on the Mouse! One of the main issues is the new and improved and altered and tweaked FP system. In past years we had this down to a science and worked those little booths to perfection, almost always getting to see/do what we wanted regardless of crowds, time of day - and all was good. The new system with its restrictions and limitations....not so much. On our last trip we definitely missed some ride opportunities that were never an issue on prior trips. Add in the usual $$$$, crowds, occasional rude guest and it was not one of our better visits.

So please, give me some hints, tips, suggestions on how to get DW back to her 'Happy Place' mentality!! We have a potential trip to Hawaii in Summer '16 so looking to squeeze something in before then. Otherwise the Mouse won't be seeing us for quite awhile! ...
    Sorry we are feeling the same way. That's why I like DL better. Which doesn't matter since fp+ is going to be there too. We are going to WDW in sept. Because my dd is treating us. We will see after that. Our plan is to make all are fps in the afternoon and get there at opening to hopefully catch a few rides with low lines. Does that still work since fp+
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I know this is probably heresy to say on a Disney fan site, but maybe she just needs a break for a few years? From your sig it looks like you've been going about every year for over a decade, maybe that's just been too long without a break for her? Familiarity breeds contempt, absence makes the heart fonder and all that? As much as we all love Disney you can't force someone to like it so I don't know if 'convincing her to like it' is really the right approach. With the extra time maybe you could save up some extra $$ to do something special or unique the next time?
    Less than 24 hours back from our most recent trip. We've been lucky to have gone 3 times in 6 years. Financially its difficult, but we've wanted to do it when the kids were the right ages and could remember it fondly. On this recent trip there were just too many moments where I found myself feeling like I was at an amusement park and not Disney World, simply checking my phone every 5 minutes to see ride times and where to get to next without stopping to appreciate what WDW has to offer. Unfortunately I think the new FP+ and MDE tend to promote that experience, one of the unintended side effects, no doubt.

While we had a great trip, and I am the uber planner of our family, it was just too much and it takes you out of the moment way too much, imho.

We still plan to go back, but are thinking now 4-6 (instead of 2-3) years out when kids are 18-16-14 and can do more on their own and characters are not such a part of the experience. This would allow us to experience the resorts more and some of the more adult parts of the parks, and maybe even do more off-site things.

We haven't lost the Magic, but I do think we need a break from it to appreciate it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I've lost some. I am just two days back from our most recent WDW trip and I was dragging my heels to get there. Honestly, I did have fun, but I no longer feel the drive to see/do it all. I'm sort of apathetic. Take it or leave it really. I appreciate other travels as well, and although a part of my heart will always belong to WDW, it no longer feels the same.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't made it to WDW for several years now. We have been planning a trip back, but the more I hear about how the new system, the more work, and less fun it seem the trip would be.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having the same feelings. We went in 2013 and it was such a hassle with the FP+ testing we skipped WDW last year and just went to Universal. We are going back to WDW this April, only because I have a timeshare week that is going to expire, and I am just really not that excited at this point.

It's sad but I feel that they have made a trip that I used to love, so overly planned out and stressful. People will say "you don't have to get fast passes" but you do if you want to do more than 4 attractions in a day. I really wish that they would have left well enough alone.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

yep

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I'm having the same feelings. We went in 2013 and it was such a hassle with the FP+ testing we skipped WDW last year and just went to Universal. We are going back to WDW this April, only because I have a timeshare week that is going to expire, and I am just really not that excited at this point.

It's sad but I feel that they have made a trip that I used to love, so overly planned out and stressful. People will say "you don't have to get fast passes" but you do if you want to do more than 4 attractions in a day. I really wish that they would have left well enough alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those that suggest she just might need a break and another destination or two. We go to WDW every other year, with other destinations in between. We've found that helps keep the magic alive for us. If we were to go every year, I know it would be too much for us.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with other posters - it's probably the been too frequently syndrome. I got that once - really bummed and didn't go back for maybe 4 years? Back before DHS opened we were going every year and twice in one year and enough already.

Give her some time, and maybe, as others suggest, some different destinations. Maybe a couple of 6 Flags trips and then she'll be happy to go back to Disney.

I have to say tho that we do tour a lot differently now. We've lowered our expectations as to how much we can get done in a day, and have warmed up to more resort time.

We were at WDW last month and I was planning the next trip while we were there. Be patient. She's still the uber Disney lover.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post

I have to say tho that we do tour a lot differently now. We've lowered our expectations as to how much we can get done in a day, and have warmed up to more resort time.

We were at WDW last month and I was planning the next trip while we were there. Be patient. She's still the uber Disney lover.

Jan
    I don't understand this thought. Prices are ever increasing and expectations are lowering?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. As I said, we've lowered our expectations as to what we can get done in a day.

Fourteen years ago, for example, ten of us could enjoy three sit down meals a day, tour half of MK in one morning, swim at our resort in the afternoon, and then tour two FW and two WS pavilions in the late afternoon/evening. Every day. We had time for all this and still got to bed before 11 pm. Before EMH and fp of any kind.

Our touring expectations have been lowered because of the crowds at WDW. Even with the much loved paper fp we could not get as much done and gave up the three sit down meals years ago, as taking up too much touring time. I don't mind that there are more people visiting WDW now over a decade and more ago. I'm happy other folks bring their money to WDW as well.

Prices may be going up but I can afford a week's worth of tickets much more easily today than I could afford day tickets back in the 70s.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We kind of feel ourselves slipping that way too. Hate the new FP system, and it has really impacted the quality of our visit. Don't like it at all, even though I am a big planner. But traveling to a rainy area with unpredictable factors (crowds, new groups, etc) need a certain amount of flexibility.

But, disneyland isn't going to do it. We did it last year, try it out. Now Cars land is spectacular.

What has helped. While our trips to WDW have been compromised by Disney changes, we go less when there isn't a coinciding event. For example, we try and go during the Food n Wine, or the Flower N Garden. Makes it worthwhile, and less focus on the rides. Plus said events, pull people to epcot more, and help a little with crowd management elsewhere.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite