Quantcast Walt Disney Imagineering Releases New 'World of AVATAR' Concept Art - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I went to Harry Potter at universal having never read a single line in a book, or having watched 1 second of any movie and guess what? I LOVED the land. Why? Because if was done extremely well and I am an amusement park fanatic. They built the land/rides in a way that I didn't have to have Harry Potter knowledge to enjoy the areas. After visiting I went back and read all the books.

I saw Avatar and it was ok. It was all about the visual effects and scenery. The actual story was pretty bland and has been told many times before. However that should lend itself to an amazing land built around scenery and splendor. Hopefully Disney isn't building the attractions around the actual story of Avatar, but rather the world of Avatar-the fictional planet of Pandora-and that's what it appears Disney is doing.

You won't have to be an Avatar fanatic to enjoy this new area. It should be a sensory overload. And you all will be there. You can say you will skip it but that simply won't be true. Disney is opening a new land I a park that desperately needs an infuse of new things, of course you are going to check it out.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Well I went to Harry Potter at universal having never read a single line in a book, or having watched 1 second of any movie and guess what? I LOVED the land. Why? Because if was done extremely well and I am an amusement park fanatic. They built the land/rides in a way that I didn't have to have Harry Potter knowledge to enjoy the areas. After visiting I went back and read all the books.

BINGO!!!

I bet if you polled people coming off of Splash Mountain, half wouldn't have any idea it was from Song of the South... But it pulls in large crowds cause it is a great, well done, well themed ride...

Avatar/Pandora will be the same... As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...
    Totally agree.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I look at the picture an am uninspired, but judgement will be reserved until the day I can visit the actual opened area. It is a picture of a concept. That's all, not a photo of the real thing. Why place so much judgement on the concepts that they have carefully allowed to be released? I get that the powers that be have missed the mark on our side of the continent, but it is my understanding (from a friend in Cali with APs) that they didn't miss so much on the CA expansion.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ...Avatar is something that just doesn't "scream" ...DISNEY.

....so ...I couldn't care less. (unless it funnels tons of park goer traffic in its direction ...and frees up other attractions for me...)
    I honestly got a bit of a laugh at this.....Are you a fan of Lights, Motors, Action at DHS? How Disney is that?

There are a lot of things that aren't "Disney" around the parks, but fit in the park that they are put into. AvatarLand/Pandora is a good fit for Animal Kingdom in that it 1) fits the conservation theme; 2) fits the animal - living, extinct, or mythical - theme of the park; 3) highlights the Imagineers abilities to come up with new ideas and new technology to bring about a theme. To me, this is ALL Disney!

I agree with John in that I will hold my tongue until I can actually see how this develops.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Meh.

That is all...feel free to continue your day.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually looking forward to the Avatar land addition. I think Disney knows what kind of pressure they are under to do something groundbreaking, and I have faith that they will make Pandora look amazing.

I am most looking forward to the bioluminescent forest. That will look beautiful at night.

We liked the movie, and thought the visual effects were incredible. I think Avatar is the perfect addition to AK, and will draw the guests in.

I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of negativity and/or just plain apathy toward this project from people here. You're finally getting something new at AK (which is relevant to the park), and pretty big to boot... give it a chance.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I wasn't trying to be a negative nellie about the whole thing. I was just underwhelmed by the artwork. Usually, Disney's concept art makes me go "Ooo!" In fact, I believe one for Avatar got that reaction out of me some time back.

Like I said before, I plan on reserving judgement until we experience it. It's hard to get excited about Avatar as a concept, because I haven't seen the movie. I've seen a few stills, and if done right, without a need to know the story to enjoy the land, I'm sure it will be great. Certainly new stuff in the parks gets me excited.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just happy they are adding anything. I love AK and am one of the few that can spend a whole day in there. Sadly, my other half has a problem with animals in captivity.

(Other half at the mere suggestion of going to AK ------> )

So, I can only get in there during ICOT meets.
    (When are we all going again?? )

Disneyland's attractions such as Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Monorail, Flying Saucers, Tiki Room, etc. were not "Disney" and most Disney animated movies were retellings of an older story that Disney bought the rights to. Just like Avatar. For instance, when I was a kid, I read The Little Mermaid and Beauty And The Beast (several times) loonggg before they were animated by Disney. Because of that, I still never think of LM or B&TB as Disney, but I like the movies and the attractions.

I'm looking forward to seeing Avatarland and hope they do it right. I have no idea what the Avatar movie is about nor do I care to see it, but I'm happy to see something new in a WDW park.

I have no idea what Harry Potter is about nor do I care to see those movies or read the books, but I do look forward to going to Universal some day to see the land. It looks very cool. As a matter of fact, I recall most people were upset that Disney didn't buy the rights to the HP franchise.. Therefore, I never understand the "Not very Disney" argument.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a lack of confidence in WDI that I have, it is a lack of confidence in WDW/TDO to properly maintain whatever WDI delivers. I am not particularly excited about the source material, but left to do their best WDI could probably make anything worth checking out. They could deliver their best work ever, though, and it would all be for naught if WDW/TDO just lets it fall apart and is content to have guests visit a rundown section of the park indefinitely. Even if WDI delivered something so cool that most guests cannot tell it is in a state of disrepair, intentionally running it that way is bad show and they have a well established track record of doing just that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    BINGO!!!

I bet if you polled people coming off of Splash Mountain, half wouldn't have any idea it was from Song of the South... But it pulls in large crowds cause it is a great, well done, well themed ride...

Avatar/Pandora will be the same... As long as the land is well themed, and the rides are well worth it, the people will come...
    Well said! Do it well, people will come!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all in, big Disney and Avatar fan so it's a win-win for me !! I hope after the avatar park is done they build an avatar themed DVC resort with the big blue people running around and floating bungalows on rocks in the sky !!

P.S - I think Avatar is just as much Disney as Star wars, marvel, Indiana jones, Etc...
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with "non Disney movie" ideas in the parks. I'm a big fan of the attractions that aren't Disney IP. But something... SOMETHING... about Avatar the movie itself just irks me. I can't put my finger on it. Yes I saw the movie and yes it was extremely lame and predictable. But I don't think that's what bugs me the most about it coming to AK.
    I think what bugs me most is this. Of ALL the things Disney could do, of ALL the things they could come up with, they go with a sub-par movie franchise that has almost no fan loyalty and decided to toss it haphazardly into Animal Kingdom.
    I feel let down.
    I feel disappointed, in the similar way that folks feel let down as Frozen is plopped into Epcot. Sure, it may end up being a good ride. But it feels like Disney is out of new ideas and just doesn't care anymore. That's what bugs me. Rehashing old rides with James Cameron's ideas... What happened to Disney being a creative leader?
    Yeah, if the rides are awesome I'm sure I will queue up for them now and again. But it wI'll be because, well, there's nothing better to do.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I think there will be many interesting things about this new addition to AK. Avatar is not my favorite but I liked it. The storyline is very good and I like the environmental messages.

We experienced a night light show at Longwood Gardens during a recent summer. The different lights and types of lighting were very magical and we really enjoyed all the different areas the artist set up. I think this new area at AK will be like that in some ways. I can't wait to see what Disney Imagineers do.

Not thrilled with the mountains in the sky artwork but maybe the final product will be more like being in the clouds.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjstrike View Post
    P.S - I think Avatar is just as much Disney as Star wars, marvel, Indiana jones, Etc...
    Except that Star Wars and Marvel are now owned by Disney. Avatar was released by 20th Century Fox. I'm not sure about Indy as it was released by Paramount of Lucasfilm so I don't know if the franchise was included with the 2012 Disney/Lucas deal. Regardless, both Indy and Avatar had great directors with great stories.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I think what bugs me most is this. Of ALL the things Disney could do, of ALL the things they could come up with, they go with a sub-par movie franchise that has almost no fan loyalty and decided to toss it haphazardly into Animal Kingdom.
    I understand your feelings, but I believe you're wrong about the movie having no fan base. I think its problem is that it was released more than five years ago, and the next movie won't be coming out for another two years.

As far as fans, Avatar is the all-time top grossing movie in the United States. Ever. Adjusted for inflation, it's 14th. For those kinds of numbers, there have to be an awful lot of people who liked it.

As for the art, it's a little strange, but interesting and intriguing, I think. I'm hopeful that Disney can tap into Pandora's mystery and bring some of that magic back.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    But it feels like Disney is out of new ideas and just doesn't care anymore. That's what bugs me. Rehashing old rides with James Cameron's ideas... What happened to Disney being a creative leader?
    It's been like that for a while... Pretty much happened right after they 'finished' AK and laid off most of their imagineers. They haven't been a leader in quiet some time. Universal has been the one pushing in Central Florida for a while, Disney is playing catch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    It's been like that for a while... Pretty much happened right after they 'finished' AK and laid off most of their imagineers. They haven't been a leader in quiet some time. Universal has been the one pushing in Central Florida for a while, Disney is playing catch up.
    I would argue that Universal is playing catch up. They are doing a bang up job of it too. Disney better get their act together or they will lose even more people to Universal Orlando every year.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see them playing catch-up a bit faster.

They've got interesting intellectual property that could be used - Wall-E, for example, in a dark-ride that runs you through the levels of the Axiom. Or the world of Big Hero Six. (Heck, imagine the marketing on Baymax alone...)

I understand that development's expensive, but the cost of NOT developing new experiences will be a lot more in the long run...
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand investing that kind of money in a lukewarm franchise.
    There's been ONE film released to date...the next one may flop.

Why not invest in something that has some "teeth"? Something that's proven?

They could've pushed Star Wars land to the front burner...a franchise that has mass following and appeal. Or actually built a REAL "Pixar Place".
    My opinion is that DHS needed a lot more work than AK.
    Avatar isn't the draw that Harry Potter or Star Wars is. Those franchises have cult followings. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say "Man, I'm so excited for the new Avatar movie to come out!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: