Quantcast Walt Disney Imagineering Releases New 'World of AVATAR' Concept Art

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Walt Disney Imagineering Releases New 'World of AVATAR' Concept Art

The Walt Disney World resort has released further concept art for the "AVATAR" project at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The new art gives a striking image of how Guests may encounter 'floating mountains' in the park's forthcoming expansion.

Latest Rendering Released as Disney Continues Design Work on the World of AVATAR

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
    February 26, 2015

The creative, collaborative process continues on a multi-year project as Disney’s Animal Kingdom brings to life Pandora, based on the blockbuster film AVATAR. Disney recently welcomed acclaimed director James Cameron to offices in Glendale, Calif. for a status report. Disney’s creative teams collaborating with the artists and designers at Lightstorm are focused on all the land’s iconic elements — from the magnificent floating mountains to the interactive bioluminescent forest, and even to the soaring banshees. The AVATAR-inspired land will be part of the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.(Concept art, Walt Disney Imagineering)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This does nothing for me. I think it looks like an ugly jumble of under brush. I really have no desire to see this land.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

AVATAR jus.t seems like old n.ews to me.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it, I'm sure this will work out in the end because at the end of the day its not going to matter to me if the section of the park is suppose to be Pandora, a jungle or something else; if the rides and attractions are worth riding, I'll ride them. People arn't going to skip the section because they didn't like Avatar, in fact I bet when the Soarin type ride opens, FP's will be impossible to get for a long time, again, not because its Avatar but because its a new ride.

that said, this concept art does nothing for me, but again, they could make "John Carter land" and people are going to go, even if they arn't blown away with the theme
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly & stupid...No interest at all

Post Thanks / Like

Um... that picture looks kind of like a mess to me. But, having not seen the movie, I don't really know what I'm looking at. I guess I'll have to wait and see it in person.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Not particularly excited about it, but if they do it right then it will be good for everyone. I hope they do some mind blowing things that actually keep working beyond the first 6 months. Amazing attractions and experiences should sell themselves, without requiring that you really know and study the source content (from a guest perspective). If I have to be a nut about Avatar in order to have a good time, then they've missed the mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - what a bunch of negative nellies you all are. Are you that jaded?

Reserving judgment till I see it in person. The video online seemed interesting but I'm still having a hard time visualizing how this "land" will come together.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will look great - but the question is, will it have repeat factor for me or will it keep me in that park for more than a half day.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the short promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm4B2UYGY8
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm concerned you will have to be a superfan of Avatar to enjoy it at all and/or there will be impressive effects that will break 6 months after launch that will largely go unfixed forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I kind of wish we didn't know everything about what they are doing, it gives everyone a chance to form an opinion before they even experience the results.
    I think a new area of Animal Kingdom with a few new rides will be a good addition and for those upset that it isn't showcasing real animals, I don't see it as that much different than the Beastly Kingdom idea.
    One of my favorite experiences in Epcot is the glowing sidewalk panels. So more of that type of
    detail in the parks is something I welcome.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Reserving judgment till I see it in person. The video online seemed interesting but I'm still having a hard time visualizing how this "land" will come together.

Honestly, I have no doubt it will look great - but the question is, will it have repeat factor for me or will it keep me in that park for more than a half day.
    I don't feel like I am negative about what they are doing - just not really interested. My disinterest in this has to do with Avatar, not Disney and also with the fact that they are taking so long. I think there is even a part of me that has even prepared for this to not come to fruition. I do love AK. I thought the video showed some really intriguing and beautiful things.

I am excited that AK is upping its nighttime presence - no doubt they are hoping you will stay for not only the front part of the day but also the back end.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

...Avatar is something that just doesn't "scream" ...DISNEY.

....so ...I couldn't care less. (unless it funnels tons of park goer traffic in its direction ...and frees up other attractions for me...)
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    ... there will be impressive effects that will break 6 months after launch that will largely go unfixed forever.
    This... WDW has shown this to be SOP. See Avatarland early is you want to see it as the Imagineers intended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    I don't feel like I am negative about what they are doing - just not really interested. My disinterest in this has to do with Avatar, not Disney and also with the fact that they are taking so long. I think there is even a part of me that has even prepared for this to not come to fruition. I do love AK. I thought the video showed some really intriguing and beautiful things.

I am excited that AK is upping its nighttime presence - no doubt they are hoping you will stay for not only the front part of the day but also the back end.
    Ditto this whole post. I just don't care. At all. Avatar is just not something that holds an iota of interest for me.

I will compare Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I loved it because I loved the books and movies BUT if I had NO knowledge of or interest in HP, I would probably not care to ever go there either. And I can say with certainty that people who visit HP land(s) with NO knowledge of the IP will just not like it the same way a true fan will. The rides are good but they really do depend on having familiarity with the story and characters or they don't make any sense.

It is one thing to make one ride based on a movie. A whole land is another thing completely and I just don't really think the interest in Avatar is substantial across the board. And, really, another Soarin knockoff and a boat ride just hold no appeal to me, especially because the subject matter of those rides will be Avatar. I really don't want to even visit this land, although if it ends up getting rave reviews I will probably relent.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I woudn't say that with such certainty Nat... I know plenty of people who aren't HP fans, didn't see any of the movies or read the books and still loved and enjoyed BOTH sections of the Wizarding World..

A well down, well themed land with well done, fun attractions will bring in guests and crowds, no matter the IP... yes, IP helps, but if the rides and land are spectacular, the crowds will be there...

As for Avatar, we know one ride will be a C ticket boat ride (been there done that) and Soarin Over Pandora.. Only difference, may be in 3D and have a little extra movement in the ride vehicles... Otherwise, its the same ride as Epcot... Doesn't exactly scream WOW I NEED TO SEE THAT... The land will be more of the attraction than the actual attraction, that is, until things stop working and Park Ops refuse to pay to fix it...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know many people love HP land without being fans but there are also plenty of people (like my husband) who just have NO interest in it and thus won't bother. But HP lands are REALLY visually appealing even without rides and the shops and restaurants are unique and GOOD. So, I get how people enjoy it without being fans.

This artwork though? It isn't even nice, IMO. It isn't making me "ooh and ahh" or anything. And yeah, the rides sound like snoozers. If Disney was promising some ground breaking technologically mind blowing, unique attraction, I would be all in.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reserving my opinion till I see it in person. Mostly because I don't want to be the hater that has to eat their words when they all of sudden start defending it by others because they love it so much after they bashed it.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, adding anything is better than taking away or replacing. But this section is taking so long to come to fruition, that the news about it seems so old.

Plus, I haven't let go of the fact that, I hated the movie. It was a huge disappointment. Disney could have written a whole new movie and made a whole new following for a new section in AK in the time it is taking to make this Avatar thing come to life. I would have loved a mystical "things that never were" area with dragons and unicorns and such.

I was just at AK on Friday. My DD (4) did not like all the walking trails. We tried it without the stroller because you can't point the stroller just right to see the animals. She loved the Safari and the Lion King show, but I think that taking her through a make believe land just to walk through glowing sidewalks and plants to ride different versions of rides we go on at other parks will just be even more of a disappointment for us.

I may sound like a negative nelly but I am just not excited about the area. Yay for adding stuff but lets add new stuff that is actually interesting
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    I'm reserving my opinion till I see it in person. Mostly because I don't want to be the hater that has to eat their words when they all of sudden start defending it by others because they love it so much after they bashed it.
    I have no problem being proven totally wrong and eating my words. I will be thrilled if Disney somehow hits one out of the park with this land and it is a massive success.

I am far from the only person who feels negatively about this. Almost every post Disney makes on social media about this land is inundated with negative responses.

The stakes are high for this one.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: