Quantcast Difference between disney buses and driving - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our trips prior to 2014 - we rented a car and drove everywhere. We would spend a day or two offsite (Universal, Discovery Cove etc.) and having a rental car was so convenient. Trips to a grocery store or Target were a really nice bonus. Last Sept we again spent a few days offsite, but those days were before we checked in at CSR. Once we hit WDW something just clicked in my head. I didn't' want to drive any more. I threw the rental keys on the dresser and they stayed there until it was time to go home. Something about being away from home and letting someone else worry about directions and traffic just seemed like the way to go. So this coming Sept. we are using the Magical Express for the first time and letting the all knowing bus drivers cart us around.
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Add my family to the "bus" contingency. I love having no worries about driving around - plus we only have to take 2 buses from the Boardwalk- we walk to Epcot & boat to the Studios from the Swan/Dolphin.

One night back from the MK our very full bus broke down & we were stuck 2 mins from the Boardwalk for over 40 mins - but that clearly was an exception.

We take a cab to the Contemporary on California Grill night.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

I've done both. It really depends on the circumstance.

Buses are convenient, particularly at AK and HS, where they drop you much closer to the front than you can park.

We typically would take the bus I'd we were planning inspectors ding the entire day at the park. However, if we planned on taking a mid day break at the resort, we would drive. If you plan on taking a 3-4 hour break your resort, you could easily waste as much as 90 minutes round trip getting to the resort and back to the park. There have been times when it has take as much as 1 hour just to get back to the resort.

With FP+, we now find ourselves going to the parks each day, but only staying for 4-5 hours. Because of this, we now drive to all the parks, except for MK.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    We drive to every park except MK. I've found it faster to just take a bus to the main gate usually. Depending on the time of day, the monorail or ferry line can be quite long from the MK parking lot.
    This!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We drive a ways so we tend to bus once arrived.
    The exceptions are target for snacks and the water parks, 'cause I get cold on the bus.
    50 days to go
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am surprised that so many drive to the parks. I drive to Disney and when I arrive, I park the car and don't see it until we leave. I never even considered driving to the park. Most of the time we stay on property but I sometimes look at the option of booking an offsite hotel to save $ & typically won't if bussing is not an option. I've stayed at bonnet creek and the palace and even take the unofficial busses when staying there. I was pleased that Dolphin uses official busses.

I love the busses. It's stress free. My kids view them as another ride.

8. Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We like to drive to the parks for the reasons like a lot of folks have said. The one park I will not drive to anymore is MK. We were stuck waiting to get on the ferry to the parking lot for over two hours on night. The monorail was just as bad. The buses just kept rolling. Sure they looked packed but the bus lines were moving where we were not.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have often heard that you should take the bus everywhere except the MK.

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually use busses only, however I am renting a car this summer. We like to hop from theme park to water park and then back to theme park. We also like to resort hop for dining. A car will just make this so much easier. I also found that, other than bus to MK, it would be just faster to drive. I waited forever to go to,blizzard beach one day. I could have been floating around the lazy river for an hour by the time a bus finally showed up.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

After driving all the way down from Michigan, DH puts the car keys in the safe and they don't come out again until we're ready to head home. I think it all comes down to what feels more like a bother to you. For us, waiting a little bit for a bus, and possibly standing is more appealing than driving back and forth. Just personal preference.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

For us it depends on the situation. If we're staying on property we mostly take the bus unless we have specific reservations. The last time we went we stayed off property but had annual passes so we drove instead of taking whatever busses we could.
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip, in September, we drove one night to the Magic Kingdom and stayed to close. It was a nightmare waiting for the boat, then tram just to get to the car. So, our next night at MK, we rode the bus....it was much quicker. Now, with a sleeping kid....you might have to stand or wait for the next bus.
    This is how we handle the car/bus:
    1. We use the bus every morning.
    2. We use the the car every night except Magic Kingdom.

The biggest con to the car is getting lost....yes there are signs...but still.
    The pros for car are: Avoiding night time busses (except Magic Kingdom) and being able to take your mugs on the ride without having to carry them in the parks.

The biggest con to the busses is waiting for them.
    The biggest pro is Magic Kingdom.

When are kids were little...we had 3 sleeping at one time....people helped with strollers and other items. I don't know how my husband carried two sleeping kids but he did.

Post Thanks / Like

I think length of stay may play a part in some decisions. For us lately, we've been taking longer stays, which means eight pieces of checked luggage, plus purses and carry-ons. We have been using a service to ride us to-and-from our home airport, as well as Magical Express once in Orlando simply because we don't want to lug that much luggage around.

On our last trip, however, we've kind of decided for a shorter next trip (if we return) and we want to once again start using a rental when we land. Before we had children, DW & I would rent a car, zip over the beeline to I-4 to Disney in minutes, and drive off property on occasion. Since we've had children, however, it's been Disney transportation all the way. We lost so much time on our last trip, traveling from one destination to another, that at the trip's end, DW said, "Let's rent a car next trip."

We will see how that goes!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we are in the minority! We always take the buses...or boat....would never drive!
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genie1953 View Post
    I guess we are in the minority! We always take the buses...or boat....would never drive!
    I'm with you. I drove to Epcot once from WL and it took a lot longer than I expected. And then I had to get in a hot car at the end of the day. Yuck. I prefer the buses.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

19. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that at the end of Wishes or Illuminations, the wait for the buses is too long and not worth it. We're too tired at that point.

Also, I love the feeling of quiet and comfort upon getting into the car after a long day at the parks. At that point, I feel like the standing, waiting, commotion are over, and I'm as good as home.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genie1953 View Post
    You're not in the minority. We always use Disney transport, such as buses, ferries, monorail, etc.

Also, even though it may not seen the case, many visitors do not drive. Why else would the buses be so busy at park closing? We'll be at our favorite bus stops in approx 30 days. See you then
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

22. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between disney buses and driving

Since I pulled this thread out of last year I thought I'd report back on my recent experience. I've always been one to strictly use the bus, but thought I'd try driving to parks on this last trip.

Arrived about 4:00pm to HS- parked right up front, it worked out great.

The next day arrived at MK at 4:00pm and it was a nightmare, it had been 15 years since I drove to MK and this time might be my last time.

The next day drove to Epcot for F&G, arrived at 10:00 am worked great, parked close enough to the front to walk.

All things considered, we will stick to Disney transport in the future unless we are driving straight to or leaving straight home from a park.

Each day I'd consider a 10/10 for how crowded it was. On a side note flower and garden was amazing- wish we did 2 days there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, at MK, with the bus stops there so close to the gates, and the parking lots so far away that easily make the buses the best bet for going to MK. The other parks are OK for driving yourself, especially if you time it right coming and going.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cass&KenziesMom View Post
    Jim we were there from Dec. 26th-31st and every day we did MK we took a bus from the TTC to MK. Instead of turning left for the ferry or going straight for the monorail we hooked a right and there were busses taking people to MK. The CMs acted as if it were a regular thing.
    It is, they'll actually direct you away from the monorail and over to the buses.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15