Quantcast Pirates of the Carribean

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pirates of the Carribean

Heard a rumor that PofC was closing this year for a much needed refurbishment. I understand it's fallen into great disrepair over the years and needs at least a 4-6 month refurb to bring it back. Has anyone else heard this and if so, do you know the dates? We'll be there the end of May into June and would hate to miss PofC even if it's not in its full glory!
    1979 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1982 - Disneyland
    1988 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1996 - WDW Disney Villas
    1999 - WDW Disney Institute
    2002 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 - WDW Coronado Springs
    2008 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2010 - Disneyland
    2015 - WDW Coronado Springs

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is rumored to be going down for a six month rehab beginning in the summer and reopening in time for the holidays. This has not been announced or confirmed by Disney.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I was on it last week. Didn't look run down or that bad.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue right now is deciding length of time. POTC is in really bad shape, like SM was before it's big refurb. This includes a lot of behind the scenes stuff the public doesn't see - out of date technology, bad audio, etc. It's going to take time to gut a lot of these systems and get them up to date. The Imagineers were originally pushing for closer to a year. Now they're saying 6 months, but a lot of the brass doesn't want it closed that long and pushing for closer to 3-4 months. So once that's all decided they'll announce it.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

They are probably trying to figure out how to add a Frozen scene in it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would they need a rehab? While it was nine years ago, POTC was down for four months back in '06. Wouldn't they have taken care of some needed behind the scenes fixes then? But maybe it's time again, since it's almost been ten years since the last rehab.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I hope it's before or after August. Would be very sad not being able to ride. It's one of our favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Well I hope it's before or after August. Would be very sad not being able to ride. It's one of our favorites.
    I could say the same thing about Jungle Cruise which will be down for rehab when I visit in April/May. Unfortunately, there is always a chance that a favorite will be in rehab no matter when you visit. Just have to smile and think to yourself that the rehab will make it even that much better on your next visit.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

From what I read, it seems that a 12 year old boy severed a few fingers on the ride while his hand was on the outside of the boat. I'm guessing that the closure has something to do with that.

Post Thanks / Like

It does need a lot of work..Audio System, Timing of some of the animatronics, getting some of them to work properly, boats need to be replaced. When they changed to the new boats they didnt realize the effect on the plunge, eventually causing the closure of back seats due to guests getting soaked. The issue with the severed finger was the fault of the guest but of course Disney wants to minimize liability. I expect a change again to the boats and an overhaul of the audio, effects, and the animatronics in disrepair to be addressed. It will take 4-6 months because it is a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they put the old boats back in. The new ones continually get stuck when they fill them to capacity causing the ride to go down. I was on it once & we had to "rock" ourselves unstuck several times. Ridiculous
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pirates of the Carribean

I would say it needs a refurb. We were there in Oct. went to ride in am and it was broke down. Went back and it was working. Stood in a long line, finally our turn, sat down in the boat and it broke down. They couldn't unlock the gates for us to get back out, so we had to ride thru. All the lights were on, but nothing working and no sounds. It was WEIRD and kind of spooky. Went back later in the afternoon and still broke down, so never got to ride

Post Thanks / Like

It would be cool if they rotated pirates. ( The part where you go through the waterfall looking mist ). It used to be Davey Jones, now it's always Blackbeard. There are so many neat characters in the Pirate movies, it would be interesting to see different ones each time you ride. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to do.
    Scallywag

August 2004 - POR
    May 2006 - POF (Honeymoon Trip)
    September 2006 - Royal Pacific (Universal Studios)
    April 2007 - POR
    July 2009 - CBR
    June 2013 - CBR
    June 2014 - POF

June 2016 - POLY
    June 2017 - AKL
    June 2018 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    The Imagineers were originally pushing for closer to a year. Now they're saying 6 months, but a lot of the brass doesn't want it closed that long and pushing for closer to 3-4 months. So once that's all decided they'll announce it.
    Makes no sense to me. They keep shortening the refurb times, shortcutting the work, and then finding it necessary to close again because they didn't do XYZ the first time. Although I'd miss it I'm leaning towards do it and do it right.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the wait times and POTC was on the closed list and then it re-opened later. It does need work. I have not seen the Blackbeard mist projection working for two trips now. I really loved that part. Also there have been a lot of complaints about the new boats and people getting soaked in the front row. Hoping it reopens for the holiday season in November!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella16 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the wait times and POTC was on the closed list and then it re-opened later. It does need work. I have not seen the Blackbeard mist projection working for two trips now. I really loved that part. Also there have been a lot of complaints about the new boats and people getting soaked in the front row. Hoping it reopens for the holiday season in November!
    Blackbeard must was not working last week, was working yesterday though. Maybe he's an intermittent problem?
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    Blackbeard must was not working last week, was working yesterday though. Maybe he's an intermittent problem?
    Well that is good to know! I rode Pirates countless number of times this past November and November 2013 and didn't see it once. So I assumed they just weren't showing it anymore because of problems. Hope to see it in the future!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Makes no sense to me. They keep shortening the refurb times, shortcutting the work, and then finding it necessary to close again because they didn't do XYZ the first time. Although I'd miss it I'm leaning towards do it and do it right.
    I'm with you 100% Lynn. Close it down for however long is necessary to get it right so that it works for another 50 years. They should've learned by now this halfway stuff with the refurbs is just leading to more problems. But the brass doesn't want to hear the complaining from folks while it's closed.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. Close it down and get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cliche warning

So, you don't have time to do it right, but you do have time to do it over? Please Disney, do it right the first time. The competition to the north will catch up. Space mountain was a disappointment.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: