Quantcast Interesting article in Wired about Magicband tech, vision and history

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting article in Wired about Magicband tech, vision and history

I know links are/were verboten but just look up "Disney’s $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband"

Article published yesterday which gives us (perhaps) the best / most complete vision of Magicband I've seen to date. It discusses not jst some interesting development anecdotes but the "why's" that Disney was/is trying to solve by implementing the system.. a little 'motivation' often goes a long way to understanding the outcome.

There is just one line where I think Staggs (still?) misses the mark on.. you will know it when you see it.
    "No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree it's a comprehensive report about the system, especially about its development and background. But some of that article leans a little heavy towards Disney "propaganda" to me. Just reading the article, one might think there's no problems, no complaints, and everybody just loves everything about it.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't have any technical problems with the bands and FP+ during our recent Christmas trip, but there are several requirements (too much advance planning) and limitations that I don't care for. There's still work to do to make the system truly magical.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great article for Disney fans. Thanks for sharing. I realize that most loathe the idea so much pre-planning for their vacation but you have to admit that the concept is years ahead of other vendors and continues the tradition of Disney leading the way in the theme park industry.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biggeek View Post
    There is just one line where I think Staggs (still?) misses the mark on.. you will know it when you see it.
    You mean the part where he says that people really only want three fastpasses a day? That people are happier when you take choice out of their hands?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the part that made me scratch my head a bit:
    "The MagicBands let you simply set an agenda and let everything else flow around what you’ve selected. “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back. "

um.. what??
    "No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You mean the part where he says that people really only want three fastpasses a day? That people are happier when you take choice out of their hands?
    In order to make me buy into this 100% happy - I need more than 3 fastpasses. The rest of the day is - lines, lines lines - with no hope of fast passes in the evening - unless you deliberately schedule your 3 that way.

Especially - if you use 1 for Fireworks or Fantasmic - then you really are locked into 3.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    In order to make me buy into this 100% happy - I need more than 3 fastpasses. The rest of the day is - lines, lines lines - with no hope of fast passes in the evening - unless you deliberately schedule your 3 that way.

Especially - if you use 1 for Fireworks or Fantasmic - then you really are locked into 3.
    Yes but according to the article we are all happier with fewer choices.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

"The MagicBands let you simply set an agenda and let everything else flow around what you’ve selected. “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back. "

um.. what??
    When I read that "spontaneity" quote I spit my coffee all over the screen. I wonder if he really thinks experienced Disney theme park goers will buy that.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I can now take "advantage of more rides!" The lines are now longer for rides that never had long lines. I did learn that on my next trip I shall write down all of my fastpass times. I got tired of looking at my phone, waiting to get into the Disney app to recheck what time I had for the 3 and only 3 fastpasses. Oh, yes this system is SO much better!! I do like having the magicband as my room key though.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

um.. what??

I'll have what he is drinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post

I'll have what he is drinking.
    Sounds like he's drinking the magic "cool-aid"
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I can only surmise that this is targeted at the people who did not know the ins and outs of the previous system, are overwhelmed by the number of rides/attractions, know little to nothing about the parks and don't plan to learn about it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I can only surmise that this is targeted at the people who did not know the ins and outs of the previous system, are overwhelmed by the number of rides/attractions, know little to nothing about the parks and don't plan to learn about it either.
    Those are probably the same people easily parted from their money as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, God forbid we wait in a line at in amusement park! Craziness!

The main point of doing this is to create more memories. More freed up time allows guests to create more memories in Disney's eyes. And memories turn into nostalgia, which turns into return trips and more money.

Then there is that sentence about Mickey finding YOU in the park and creating spontaneous Magic. You gotta admit if Mickey, or a face character, comes out of no where and starting saying your names and chatting you up that's going to be pretty special. But the article said Disney wants to capture these moments on film, then stitch all those bits together and sell it to you as a vacation video.

Bottom line-the bands are working and they are accomplishing what Disney wanted them to do. And like the article said we are just in the infancy stage of this. Disney has much bigger things in store than fast passes. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, it’s called the paradox of choice: You make people happier not by giving them more options but by stripping away as many as you can.

I see now...Why have all the rides and attractions open when they can make me so much happier by keeping most of them shuttered.

Is anyone else very disturbed by this whole article?
    The fact that someone is so desperate to control a huge group of people that they would spend billions of dollars to do it?
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Yes, God forbid we wait in a line at in amusement park! Craziness!

mickey:
    That is a false argument. The reason why so many people hate it is 1) the intensive planning and end of spontaneity 2) attractions that didn't have FP or long lines before, now do, leading back to 1

Post Thanks / Like

Disney went too far with it. it seems a big argument for those who like FP+ is "I don't have to run and sig sag all over the park get FPs."

The current system could have accomplished that WITHOUT the excessive planning/loss of spontaneity. The kiosks or aps could be used in the park to pull FPs without going to the attraction or planning your ride 60 days out.

Ex: You are in tomorrowland. Just before you go on SM, you stop by the kiosk and pull a FP for BTMRR. No dashing across the park. No planning 60 days out.

Disney knows this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    That is a false argument. The reason why so many people hate it is 1) the intensive planning and end of spontaneity 2) attractions that didn't have FP or long lines before, now do, leading back to 1
    How is what I said a false statement? One of the primary dislikes about the new system is that it limits the number of fastpasses people can get. There are plenty of people who openly say "I won't wait in any line over 30 minutes." To that I say it's crazy to go to an amusement park and not be willing to wait in lines.

Like I said before Disney did not create MyMagic for fastpasses. They did it to more personalize their guests' vacations and make money on that personalization.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said before Disney did not create MyMagic for fastpasses. They did it to more personalize their guests' vacations and make money on that personalization.
    The real money winner will be when they figure out, through behavioral analysis w/ more intense tracking of the bands, exactly which guests they have a higher profit margin on and route them accordingly. Taken to this other level, the sky is really the limit. They could have information on everyone that tailors an experience in such a way that maximizes Disney's profits, because they know what situations to put you in that causes you to spend the most money (from meal reservations, Fast Passes, ride/attraction suggestions, etc). If they can match your preferences/habits in such a way that you don't realize you are being manipulated (because it is personalized), they've really got you. Especially since this whole setup is intended for those who don't want to take full personal control of their experience.

Post Thanks / Like

How is what I said a false statement? One of the primary dislikes about the new system is that it limits the number of fastpasses people can get. There are plenty of people who openly say "I won't wait in any line over 30 minutes." To that I say it's crazy to go to an amusement park and not be willing to wait in lines.

Because the biggest argument against FP+ is the incessant planning.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: