Quantcast Which Fitbit to get

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Fitbit to get

Was at the store today looking at Fitbit and the others. There are a lot of varieties with the Fitbit. I am leaning towards the flex / bracelet style.

Which one is the best for tracking hoe fast you do a mile? I also need it to work with my iPad mini. I have a dinosaur iPhone 3GS. it still works so I need it to sync with the iPad.

Any other options?
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the Microsoft Band http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

I had a fitbit and actually liked it until I lost it. It was the kind that clipped to your waist. In my opinion the band is so much more useful and works with IOS, Android or Windows Phone. Under $200 - plus it has a starbucks app that lets you pay with your band. Winner

I actually have a spare Medium size Band I need to put on eBay. I ordered that first and then swapped for a Large. Chunky wrists! Apparently they just signed a deal to be in BestBuy soon so you can avoid the sizing thing.

Honestly, you can't go wrong. Any way you slice it, tracking your health and using it to stay fit is a good thing.

Hoping some fitbit users will come along to recommend the best one for you!
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Without being a shill for the band that wraps around my wrist, I have to agree that a band is the way to go, over a clip style model. A few times there has been a Fitbit hunt around the house, in the couch, the hamper, you get the idea.

Any device that gives you data, feedback and encouragement and that you will use is the one for you. I like the band I have because it also tells me the time and it looks cool.

Once you have one, whatever you buy, you'll find it kind of addicting. When I ran the half in jan of 2104, I remember my band counting over 45000 steps for the day.

As far as your running speed, you can use an app like mapmyrun or others like that to do that function.

Post Thanks / Like

John, eBay is where I have been looking...
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    John, eBay is where I have been looking...
    Smart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Fitbit to get

I had a Fitbit Force, which I really did like, but sent it back with the recall a year or so ago. I just repurchased about a week ago, and got the Fitbit Charge. In between that, I tried the Garmin VivoSmart, and hands down I prefer the Fitbit products. I'm loving my Charge. I love the app, the stats it gives me, etc, and maybe my favorite feature is the little buzz I get (along with a scroll notification) of who is calling me. I hate talking on the phone, so for me, this is a huge benefit..
    The VivoSmart was indeed, very smart, but maybe a little too smart for me. LOL I don't necessarily need all my texts scrolling across my wrist in bizarre font, not do I need to be buzzed every 30 minutes of inactivity. Those are some cool features, just not for me. It's all personal preference, so do your research.

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have the charge and love it. I like the fact that it's a watch and that the app works real nice -it also easily ties into the myfitnesspal app so you can track calories as well. I'd say it's as accurate as anything out there right now -not perfect, but close enough for what I need it for. I find it amazing how accurate it is when counting flights of stairs. I'll probably continue using this until the apple watch proves it can do everything the charge can do.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the charge track how fast you do a mile, though? I just have a clip on which is basically a glorified pedometer. I wasn't sure if I would be ok with something on my wrist as I haven't been a regular watch user in a long time, plus I wanted to make sure I used it enough to justify the price. The clip can definitley be a pain sometimes. My first one flung off and went right down the potty
    What has been great about it for me is linking up with my friends and doing goal days and week long challenges through the app. It definitley motivates me to push myself a bit more to stay competitive. If anyone wants to be my fitbit friend, PM me!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Does the charge track how fast you do a mile, though? I just have a clip on which is basically a glorified pedometer.
    No. There is no specific function for that. You could set it into exercise mode, and at the end of your workout(walk/jog) you can pull the details of off that and figure your time per mile easy enough. That I'm aware of.....
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the Flex for almost a year now, and when it gives up, I will likely replace it with the same.
    I very rarely wear it on my wrist, most of the time it resides in my pocket (still gives an accurate step count).
    The flex is really not much more than a pedometer that connects with the app or website. I have found the mileage is usually off by a few tenths, though I haven't gone in and input my stride length (think you can do that with the fitbit). The calorie count it provides is more of an educated guess, but it does give you that hanging carrot for motivation.

I seem to recall one of the newer Fitbit models has a heart rate monitor, which I would think would provide a more realistic calorie count. Unfortunately, wrist type heart monitors aren't as reliable as the chest straps (with some of them considered worthless).

For tracking times, I use RunKeeper since I typically have my phone on me when I run.

There are other brands of fitness trackers that appear to do it all, and I haven't really looked into other FitBit models, but the additional features usually equate to additional coins.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

JY,

What type of batt life do you get from the MSB? Hearing that it needs charged daily. ???

ALSO the charging area under the main screen area - you seeing corrosion due to skin/sweat since its an unprotected area? Hearing that too. ??? And it is water resistant? I hear different comments. Not drilling you, just wondering since you said you've had it since launch. I like REAL user info vs. fluff from some blogs.

Looking to get a new device. Presently I'm looking at TomTom Runner Cardio GPS and/or the Fitbit Surge. Both have optical HR monitoring. BUT TomTom works with my Nike+ account. Whereas Fitbit does not currently.

Fitbit Surge has a HR issue with activity where it not as accurate as the TomTom and yet the TomTom has an issue with treadmill run accuracy. Both are very good at GPS and tracking runs and have good apps for tracking supported by both IOS and Windows platforms.

I really want HR monitoring less any chest straps and these 2 do that. The Fitbit Charge HR does HR monitoring too but does not have enough features that I want - personally. Not knocking it but I'd suspect since its in the Fitbit line up it shares the same HR errors when you are not at rest and very active.

The Surge is also a daily tracker as well - which I like vs. the TomTom being sort of a runner device only with no daily tracking.

I’m just not sure. Both have decent backing from the companies but still deciding...

DARN I may need both!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    JY,

What type of batt life do you get from the MSB? Hearing that it needs charged daily. ???
    Charging is not an issue - literally in 10-15 minutes you get back 60% of battery life. If you are using GPS tracking on daily runs I could see charging daily. Otherwise, every other day is fine.

Most people charge after they wake up when taking a shower (if you are using it for sleep tracking as well). That will typically get you to at least 80% power.

ALSO the charging area under the main screen area - you seeing corrosion due to skin/sweat since its an unprotected area? Hearing that too. ??? And it is water resistant?
    No corrosion that I have experienced. I mean, take care of your stuff. Wipe it off, occasionally clean it and you shouldn't have issues. If they are getting corrosion, I can only imagine how often they shower

Treat it like something that costs $200 and you'll be ok.

Water resistant yes, water PROOF, no. Microsoft explains that on their site and what specs it meets. I have been out in a downpour and occasionally wiped it off as I was running. No residual issues. No water under the screen. You cannot wear it in the shower or in the pool though.

What I did do was pay the extra $20 for the Microsoft Complete which extended the warranty to 2 years instead of one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Charging is not an issue - literally in 10-15 minutes you get back 60% of battery life. If you are using GPS tracking on daily runs I could see charging daily. Otherwise, every other day is fine.

Most people charge after they wake up when taking a shower (if you are using it for sleep tracking as well). That will typically get you to at least 80% power.

No corrosion that I have experienced. I mean, take care of your stuff. Wipe it off, occasionally clean it and you shouldn't have issues. If they are getting corrosion, I can only imagine how often they shower

Treat it like something that costs $200 and you'll be ok.

Water resistant yes, water PROOF, no. Microsoft explains that on their site and what specs it meets. I have been out in a downpour and occasionally wiped it off as I was running. No residual issues. No water under the screen. You cannot wear it in the shower or in the pool though.

What I did do was pay the extra $20 for the Microsoft Complete which extended the warranty to 2 years instead of one.
    JY,

That is the type of review I like! Real practical use by regular folks. Though I know you’re a techie, you get it.

I've been trolling around YouTube and seeing some strange reviews of various activity tracking bands etc. That corrosion issue I doubted but had to ask since the port is exposed and contacts skin. YES I wipe my stuff off with santi-wipes after usage...TREADMILL included!

I do like the looks of the MSB for daily tracking...plus as a fellow gadget guy it would be nice to have my social media notifications POP up on my wrist too ala MSB. Fitbit Surge doesn’t offer that...

Does the MSB do steps? So if the GPS is turned off you actually see your daily steps and heart rate? If at the WORLD you could wear it all day and see what ya did based on internal accelerometer as it records your steps?

THANK YOU!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Does the MSB do steps? So if the GPS is turned off you actually see your daily steps and heart rate? If at the WORLD you could wear it all day and see what ya did based on internal accelerometer as it records your steps?

THANK YOU!
    Steps yep. GPS is typically only activated on runs or bikes by you doing so.

To calibrate the step sensor, they do recommend you go for a walk using the run function to have the device learn your stride.

The device packs a total of 10 sensors including built-in GPS. It’s capable of tracking steps, distance traveled, calories burned, as well as duration and quality of sleep, and users can set themselves daily step and calorie goals. One other interesting feature comes in the form of a UV monitor, which provides a quick read of the UV index, helping the user decide whether they need to apply sunscreen.

The product will work with a new cloud-based Microsoft Health service that uses the company’s Intelligence Engine to provide users with personalized fitness information and advice. The company has partnered with RunKeeper, Gold’s Gym and MyFitnessPal, allowing users to sync their accounts and access stats through their preferred service.

Microsoft’s wearable isn’t too picky about its owner’s choice of smartphone, connecting to Windows Phone 8.1 handsets, as well as those running iOS 7.1 and later, or Android 4.3/4.4. Once the Bluetooth connection is established, it will show email previews, calendar alerts, incoming calls, real-time weather and other notifications.

Users can view text messages on the device, replying with pre-set responses. Windows 8.1 users will also get access the company’s Cortana personal digital assistant right on their wrist, providing information on driving directions, stocks and more. There’s more good news if you’re a coffee-lover, with the device acting as a scannable Starbucks card.

Post Thanks / Like

Steps yep. GPS is typically only activated on runs or bikes by you doing so.

To calibrate the step sensor, they do recommend you go for a walk using the run function to have the device learn your stride.
    Sorry to pester...

So is the step sensor calibration automatic in the MSB once you do that walk? Turn on GPS and walk? And vio-la!!!

Meaning on my Nike GPS Sports Watch you place the ipod shoe sensor in the shoe and turn on in the watch BOTH GPS and SHOEPOD and run for at least 1 mile. The watch automatically calibrates to the pod based on the GPS data. So on a treadmill when you only chose shoepod you get the "closest" measurement you can for the run/workout.

Unlike the iPod app where you need to do a manual calibration of both walk and run and then have to bump the numbers once you complete the trial run/walk - the watch just does it. I only do this once I get a new sensor to calibrate it to the watch. Unfortunately that data can't be adjusted like you can if you use the app and shoepod. You can do another trial run with both the GPS and shoepod turned ON in the watch but I've not seen an improvement after I've done this.

THANKS!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to pester...

So is the step sensor calibration automatic in the MSB once you do that walk? Turn on GPS and walk? And vio-la!!!

Meaning on my Nike GPS Sports Watch you place the ipod shoe sensor in the shoe and turn on in the watch BOTH GPS and SHOEPOD and run for at least 1 mile. The watch automatically calibrates to the pod based on the GPS data. So on a treadmill when you only chose shoepod you get the "closest" measurement you can for the run/workout.

Unlike the iPod app where you need to do a manual calibration of both walk and run and then have to bump the numbers once you complete the trial run/walk - the watch just does it. I only do this once I get a new sensor to calibrate it to the watch. Unfortunately that data can't be adjusted like you can if you use the app and shoepod. You can do another trial run with both the GPS and shoepod turned ON in the watch but I've not seen an improvement after I've done this.

THANKS!
    For walks like most pedometers it doesn't use GPS. If you want it to track a walk via GPS, you would I guess put it in RUN mode and tell it to turn on GPS.

What I was saying is that for the pedometer to be more accurate, they recommend you doing a walk with the gps on (again - I guess thru the run function).

Dude - just buy one. They have a return policy. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't but the only way to know is to try it.

It's smaller than a watch. After wearing it for a month, my watches feel huge. I love mine because it does what I need.

Only complaint is I'd like to see graphs and charts when I share the data. Instead, I just take screen shots of my phone. I have a feeling that will come, but function wise, it's hard to top what it does in a $200 or under package.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude - just buy one. They have a return policy. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't but the only way to know is to try it.
    LOL

Prolly will... THANKS for the details!

BTW, sorry for the Fitbit thread hi-jack...
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

It's smaller than a watch. After wearing it for a month, my watches feel huge. I love mine because it does what I need.
    DUDE, aka-JY, I pulled the trigger on the MSB. It arrives on Weds this week. Stupid BB in our areas don't have them. So I'm looking forward to checking/using it. Course I also had to get me something else for running too. Figured out of the 2 I'll like one...OR maybe both!

Looking forward to more data and logging.

THANK YOU JY for the info!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

DUDE, aka-JY, I pulled the trigger on the MSB. It arrives on Weds this week. Stupid BB in our areas don't have them. So I'm looking forward to checking/using it. Course I also had to get me something else for running too. Figured out of the 2 I'll like one...OR maybe both!

Looking forward to more data and logging.

THANK YOU JY for the info!
    You know where to find me if you have ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

I got the fitbit one because the clip is far more accurate than the wrist band. The wristband gives you steps while at the computer or driving. It works great for running if you are on flat land. It often counts the hills/rises in elevation as floors (stairs). Regardless, it gets me up moving from my desk way more often than I used to so any fitbit is a good fitbit!
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: