Quantcast Nightime Safari at AKL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Nightime Safari at AKL

Has anyone done the nighttime safari at AKL? We are going in September and think our kids would love this. They are 8 and 9. But.....it's a lot of vacation dollars to spend. Worth it?
    Steph
    POR 2010
    POP 2012
    AKL 2013
    AKL2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't personally speak to whether it's worth it as we haven't done it yet, however I've read a lot of good reviews online doing a Google search for it.

We're going in August. My parents, who are traveling with us, offered to watch our (then) 2 year old and send us on a night safari as an anniversary present to us. Can't wait.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

It was all booked when I tried to reserve this, but I saw several of the trucks going by from my balcony when I was there a few weeks ago. I think it is probably worth it. You get very close to the animals, some really great viewing, and the guides seemed fairly informative and helpful (from what I could overhear). Plus, using the night vision goggles has got to be cool!

That said, we were okay that we didn't spend the money because we had incredible views and animal sightings from our balcony night after night. Giraffes slept right outside our window a few nights, and zebras on another. I've never seen those animals sleep before! I was amazed. So it's especially worth it if you don't have a savanna view or if you want to see animals from other savanna areas. Depending on which animals are more active when you go, you're going to have a great time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it is worth doing or not. I haven't done it but we were there for 9 days in savannah view and it was annoying to see every night and I don't condone it, being an animal lover. It always seemed to cause some of the animals to cry. Im sure the guests love it...the animals do NOT!
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    I don't know if it is worth doing or not. I haven't done it but we were there for 9 days in savannah view and it was annoying to see every night and I don't condone it, being an animal lover. It always seemed to cause some of the animals to cry. Im sure the guests love it...the animals do NOT!
    I disagree somewhat. The animals did not seem bothered when I saw them with the trucks around. In fact, trucks come in and out of their environment all day and if anything, I saw some excitement from the animals when the trucks approached. These are not animals in the wild. They're not domesticated, surely, but they are very aware of the daily trucks bringing food and even friendly with the crews that come out to them regularly. Now the guests being bothered by the trucks... that's a different story. But I did not see any signs of distress in the animals when the trucks came.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting perspective, and certainly one I didn't think of. Last trip my kids saw tons of animals daily. Even going to the elevator and looking out the window was prime animal watching! We didn't ask about the night vision googles because we were either at the parks late, or my kids were in the pool or watching the nightly movie by the pool. So, in the interest of saving some money, I think we'll just try the night vision goggles that the front desk has and gauge the kids interest from there. Thanks for the input!
    Steph
    POR 2010
    POP 2012
    AKL 2013
    AKL2015

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: