Quantcast "Selfie Sticks"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Selfie Sticks"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Selfie Sticks"

I have read where various museums, concert venues, etc have banned the ubiquitous, pretentious and obnoxious "selfie sticks." Hope Disney will catch the ball here and do the same: ban the sticks from the Parks. I spent a week at WDW in Dec. and was poked in the face 4 times by narcissistic boobs who couldn't be bothered to watch where they were going; they were too preoccupied with watching their own faces in their cameras. They almost poked my eye out .. Selfies are great, but the sticks have to go ! I have never encountered a Disney visitor who was not overjoyed to take a picture for me; and I always offer to reciprocate.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't this be wonderful? I doubt that Disney will ban them, but it would be a great idea, as far as I'm concerned.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the tour groups go crazy with the sticks.
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

manutd1 Guest

I don't know....
    I guess i never noticed them, until I read it here. But, there is ALOT of things that one doesn't notice or thinks is a big deal....untill its read on a forum. And then all heck breaks loose..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manutd1 View Post
    I don't know....
    I guess i never noticed them, until I read it here. But, there is ALOT of things that one doesn't notice or thinks is a big deal....untill its read on a forum. And then all heck breaks loose..
    I don't know - we've talked about this a lot on the podcast. How you can be sitting for an hour behind someone thinking you have a good view of a show - and all of a sudden the selfie stick goes up...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I don't know - we've talked about this a lot on the podcast. How you can be sitting for an hour behind someone thinking you have a good view of a show - and all of a sudden the selfie stick goes up...
    Just never paid attention...i suppose if i were looking for it..id see it. Kinda like when you buy a new car...all of the sudden, you see that car a lot. When before, you never noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip was a year ago, so we haven't yet seen these in the park. But, yeah, I could see Disney banning these for the same reason the museums do.

For the most part we don't notice or get hung up on what other people are doing. But if someone sticks any kind of device right in your view, you'd have to be blind not to notice. Not to mention the poor OP and others who have mentioned getting hit with these. How exactly are you not supposed to notice someone nearly taking your eye out?

I also think as a community of WDW guests, we need to not be afraid to tap someone on the shoulder and tell them that they're blocking our view and to please move the device.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

The entire time we were on safari in AK someone kept holding up a selfie stick. The driver kept telling them to stop because it was hanging over the edge but they did not speak English so they kept doing it! It was nerve wracking everyone thought they were going to drop it over the side. Very distracting, ruined the ride.
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was at WDW a couple of weeks ago they seemed to be everywhere.

I did have one funny experience though. My son and I were in the restroom at the exit of POTC, when a guy came in and stuck the selfie stick in the back of his pants while he used the restroom. When we walked out of the restroom, my DS turns to me and says "Wow that guy literally had a stick up his butt."
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    When I was at WDW a couple of weeks ago they seemed to be everywhere.

I did have one funny experience though. My son and I were in the restroom at the exit of POTC, when a guy came in and stuck the selfie stick in the back of his pants while he used the restroom. When we walked out of the restroom, my DS turns to me and says "Wow that guy literally had a stick up his butt."
    Out of the mouths of babes
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

So, gotta admit to having a selfie stick here. I got it because we bought some GoPro's here at work, but they didn't buy any accessories at all. No mounts. Nothing. So I picked up a selfie stick and took it to WDW in january. My thought was that it would allow me to get angles on videos that you can't normally get. My thought was NOT to hold it up above my head in a crowd during Wishes or on a ride.

I used it on Kali River Rapids, and it worked really well. It allowed me to keep it pretty steady.

I also used it on Expedition Everest. I asked the CM before it started if I could use it, and he said that I could, as long as it didn't go above the level of the seat back in front of me. Since I was in the second row, it wasn't a problem.

Admittedly, I pride myself on being aware of my surroundings and trying to not invade other's space or block their views. Because it annoys me when it happens. Not trying to hold myself up as "better" than others. Just trying to be a responsible park attendee.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 04-03-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Links removed per TOS
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know....
    If you have been to WDW in recent months I don't know how you could not notice them. They were rampant at both the Disney Parks and Universal Orlando. That said, the people using them provided more entertainment than annoyance. However, I have to agree that if someone used one of them during a show or parade and it blocked my view I would have to say something and hope for cooperation. People should have common sense about these things, but many don't.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Admittedly, I pride myself on being aware of my surroundings and trying to not invade other's space or block their views. Because it annoys me when it happens. Not trying to hold myself up as "better" than others. Just trying to be a responsible park attendee.
    Wish there were more people like you.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    If you have been to WDW in recent months I don't know how you could not notice them. They were rampant at both the Disney Parks and Universal Orlando. That said, the people using them provided more entertainment than annoyance. However, I have to agree that if someone used one of them during a show or parade and it blocked my view I would have to say something and hope for cooperation. People should have common sense about these things, but many don't.
    We went to WDW last Sept. Went to DLR last May during the wifes meetings.. No, didn't notice. We will be going back to WDW May2-9, I suppose I could make it a point to look for the dastardly selfie sticks....but Im sure we will be having way too much fun in the "world" to notice...as we always do!!
    Now fanny packs.....thats a different story....those MUST be banned..

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Now fanny packs.....thats a different story....those MUST be banned..
    Hey, hey, hey now . . . .

My fanny pak does not poke people in the face, wipe them out while I'm standing in line or knock off small children when walking past them.

Selfie stiks are FAAAAARRR more annoying and people with flashes on rides . . .

Leave the archaic fanny pak folks alone . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Hey, hey, hey now . . . .

My fanny pak does not poke people in the face, wipe them out while I'm standing in line or knock off small children when walking past them.

Selfie stiks are FAAAAARRR more annoying and people with flashes on rides . . .

Leave the archaic fanny pak folks alone . . .

and those wrong number dialers..what the heck are we going to do about them!

Post Thanks / Like

Before this post, I did not know what a selfie stick was. (Showing my age and tech ignorance, I guess.)

I hope when we return this September after a three-year hiatus, they aren't a distraction that takes away from the trip.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this post will help people realize that they should watch out for others around them.

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    Before this post, I did not know what a selfie stick was. (Showing my age and tech ignorance, I guess.)

I hope when we return this September after a three-year hiatus, they aren't a distraction that takes away from the trip.
    Thats my point....you probably would not have EVER noticed them.....until now.

And with around 25-30 million annual visitors to WDW.....this post has 19 comments..And a few are mine. I don't think the selfie stick is much of an issue. Don't look for them and you won't even notice...or if you do, probably won't care.

Post Thanks / Like

I had never noticed them anywhere either, . . . . until we went to WDW this past Christmas week. They were everywhere, but especially in front of the castle. When crowds gathered there for fireworks, parades, shows etc., there were hundreds of them, everywhere you looked. In the shoulder to shoulder crowds, I didn't get hit by any, but others did. You couldn't avoid noticing them.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: