Quantcast Baseball Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baseball Question

You have a switch hitter. Has there ever been a switch pitcher? Would it be allowed?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is allowed, but there has never been. I think it was Gregg Harris, a 90's reliever for the Red Sox who had a special glove that could be worn on either hand and claimed he could do it. But he never tried. Hard to throw 95 MPH or great breaking stuff either way.
    bob6572
    DVC MEMBER SSR
    May 99
    Jan 03
    Feb 04
    Dec 05
    Jan 07, BWV
    Jan 09, BWV
    Jan 2010, BWV
    Feb 2011, BWV
    April 2013, AKL
    January 2014, BCV
    April 2015, AKL/GFV

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds dangerous to me.

When a pitcher has a ball get away from him and is wild above 90mph normally, it is scary....imagine using the "other" arm. I wouldn't want to be in the batter's box.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    Sounds dangerous to me.

When a pitcher has a ball get away from him and is wild above 90mph normally, it is scary.....
    Reminds me of a college pitcher I saw this weekend. He could throw a 97 MPH fastball, but he had no idea where is was going.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pitcher

Yes it is legal, but the pitcher has to declare which hand he is going to pitch with per batter. So, he can't change hands during the same batter's at bat.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pitcher in the Oakland farm system (he's currently at AAA Nashville) who does this. His name is Pat Venditte. He was a switch pitcher at Creighton in college, and although he didn't have an overpowering fastball, he was still an incredibly effective pitcher. He has a specially designed glove that allows him to easily switch.

The real fun starts when a switch hitter comes up to the plate. There was an incident a few years back where a switch hitter stepped into the box as a righty, so Venditte put on his glove to pitch as a righty. The batter switched to the left side, so Venditte did the same. This continued for a while, until the umpire eventually made Venditte commit first. After this incident, MLB released "Venditte Guidelines" to prevent this from happening again. As was said before, the pitcher does have to declare first.

Hopefully the A's call Venditte up at some point. It really is neat to see.
    Believe in the future, the world is getting better, there is still plenty of opportunity.

manutd1 Guest

If there ever was a switch pitcher.....and is great at it,he will make a huge amount of money!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to follow up on this topic. Pat Venditte was called up by the A's and pitched tonight. I'm sure there will be some attention on him, so keep an eye out.
    Believe in the future, the world is getting better, there is still plenty of opportunity.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: