Quantcast How Necessary is FP+?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Necessary is FP+?

When we were in Florida during Christmas and New Years of 2013-14, Fast Pass+ was just being rolled out (I think). We took advantage of the option, but then ended up changing our FPs throughout the day with no problems at all. Availability was really good.

We're going back in July, and debating on how much we want to pre-plan the trip. DH is convinced that we can wing it like we did last year, but I think now that FP+ has rolled out completely, we'll be hard-pressed to get on the good rides without pre-ordering.

Any ideas? We're also still kicking between annual passes or day-passes (we're staying on property, though)... which would make a difference, too, right?
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It cant hurt to have the FPs. You don't have to use them. I would get them for sure.
    Faith, Family, Fidelity, Fun

'88 - Honeymoon
    '02 - ASmovie
    '03 - VWL
    '04 - HHI
    '05 - DCL, BCV
    '06 - HHI
    '07 - POR, VWL, POP/BWV
    '09 - BWV, BCV/SSR
    '10 - BWV
    '12 - AKV/BCV, VWL
    '13 - AKV
    '15 - BCV, AKV
    '16 - AKV
    '18 - VWL
    '19 - OKW, THV, GF
    '20 - BWV
    '21 - AKL/OKW

Post Thanks / Like

We were there this past Christmas week. and found that the FP+'s main advantage is for the really, really popular attractions, like 7DMT, the Mountains at MK, Toy Story Mania, RnRC, ToT, EE, Kilimanjaro Safari and Test Track & Soarin'. If you want to ride those without waiting 60 min. or more, then you'll be out of luck if you don't get FP+ in advance. Your best option in that case would be to try to ride first thing (park opening) in the a.m. or very late at night.

For other less popular attractions, having advance FP+ reservation is not so important. But then again, in July the parks will be crowded, so expect long lines for most of the best attractions.

If you don't mind waiting in really long lines, or don't mind missing the most popular rides, then you can wing it. Otherwise, I 'd definitely take advantage of getting FP+ in advance. You may still be able to change your times for those most popular rides up to a couple of days before, but in July, I wouldn't wait until the day-of to try to get FP+ for those big attractions.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there Christmas 2013 2014 too. I found at times lines for FP+ just as long as the regular lines. We never went straight through and had a minimum 10 minute wait every single time. I really think it was because it was new. I agree with not really wanting to plan much but I would definitely book your 3 for the day you can always change last minute. I would utilize FP just for big ticket rides and wing it on not so popular ones.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last week which is technically a less crowded time and without FPs we wouldn't have gotten to ride some of our favorites such as SM, 7DMT, or RnRC. I would get them for the big ones for sure and if you want to not use the other ones and wing those rides you'll be fine.
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Book em, it's part of the trip planning fun. If you decide not to use them when you get there, just cancel them.
    Besides, it's not like Mickey will send his nephews out for you if there is a schedule deviation.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Get them for sure if you want to ride the most popular rides
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Too many factors unknown. How often do you go? Kids involved? Are particular rides dont miss things? You are going in peak heat and peak summer crowd season. I think if you dont make them you will regret it. people can complain about the "planning" aspect Disney has created with fp+ but once you use it and discover how much more relaxed it makes your trip, then you will be thankful you did a little work ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink July too

We are also going in July, and I can't imagine not having them. We had an amazing trip in July 2 years ago right before the FPP started, and I just booked our FPP last night for our trip this year. It only took me about 15 minutes, and I got all my choices early in the day so we can try and get more later or at other parks. I don't think it will be too difficult to get what you want, and you can always change it later. Enjoy!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to ride the E Ticket rides with less than an hour wait, get FP+. I have seen 7DMT upwards of 160 min in the summer. It's a great ride but I only get in stand by line if it's 60 or less.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: