Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your Disney "Breaking Point"?

Honestly, i'm not even sure what i'm asking...

I was thinking about a thread I was reading the other day where a poster was talking about how they hadn't been in a few years, and even though they love WDW, they weren't sure when they were coming back. And it wasn't really a money issue. It was an apathy issue.

I've been going to WDW for 14 years. I just got back from a short trip last weekend. We're going back for 8 days in September, and already are planning to return in the fall of 2016 with some friends, and we're possibly heading down in February to see my daughter perform in her marching band when they go down for a workshop. I'm still excited when we go, even though I've done everything more than once. I've probably ridden on Haunted Mansion 50 times, at least, and I'm still excited to do it.

But at what point do you stop? Many posters on here are upset with Park management for concentrating on what they think are the wrong issues, creating interactive queues when they should be creating new attractions (in their opinions). Many have stated that Universal is/has surpassed Disney in innovation for all that they have done with Harry Potter, Transformers, Jurassic Park, and now the Nintendo deal, while at the same time dismissing Disney's partnership with James Cameron and Avatarland. We know that Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, and so has HUGE (I cannot possibly make those capital letters big enough) potential to knock it out of the park, if only they'll spend the $$$ to do so. There has been a lot of people here in Intercot that have expressed displeasure at the directions the parks have taken....half finished parks, renovations changed due to budget cuts, a loss in vacation dollar value through extra admission prices for special events and the raising of regular prices, whole buildings and areas of parks empty or shut down with no definite plans for future use, etc. So, not a few people have decided that while they love Disney and all of the memories, they've had enough.

I haven't had enough...yet. Honestly, I can see the day when I tell my wife, "You know what? Let's skip Disney this year and go see (insert National Park here)." Or maybe we save up and go to Europe and be tourists. Or Hawaii. I've never been to Hawaii. Or take a train across Canada (as Martin Short would have us do). It's a big world out there, and no matter how cool Epcot is, maybe i'd just rather go visit the beaches of Mexico on vacation.

But not quite yet.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not there yet either. I probably won't ever get there, to be honest. I just don't let myself get all worked up about the little things. I go to the parks, and I base my opinion on MY EXPERIENCE only, and often don't encounter even half the negative things I read about. It is still a very enjoyable experience for me and my family.

We do other stuff too. We visit other amusement/theme parks, other destinations, we cruise, etc. Disney is just a very special kind of fun for us and while we enjoy our other trips, they are nothing like going to Disneyland or WDW. As long as Disney continues to deliver the experience we have been enjoying for years, we will continue to go.

In fact, we just spent the weekend in Williamsburg and visited Busch Gardens. It was a nice time, and BG was an enjoyable well kept park with fun rides and friendly employees. We saw the historical sites as well. But you know what? I have no desire to ever go back. It was fun, but a "once and done" for us. I never stop wanting to go back to a Disney park.

We are moving next month and will be Disneyland "locals" again, and I couldn't be more excited! I will gladly keep handing over a couple thousand to Disneyland every year for my family to have annual passes because it is still totally worth it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am not sure I will ever hit a point where I do not want to return. I grew up going to Disney World, every year since I was a baby. Its about more than the newest attraction to me. They can never open another attraction and I will continue to go back. It is about the atmosphere and the memories I have gained. I can just spend time in the hotels and eating at the restaurants and have a good time. I love the excitement of lining up in the morning to get into the park. I don't need to sprint to the newest attraction, I just want to stroll down main street and feel happy!
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Post Thanks / Like

What I noticed with my wife and me, is that during the past four years, we have been to WDW in some way. We have been there with our kids and just as a couple.

The last couple of times, even though lines were short, we rarely rode anything more than once.

One afternoon, we left the parks and went to DTD and played putt-putt.

So, while it is depressing to think we won't be back for a while, it is nice so that the next time we go, the attractions will be fresh again.

It felt weird to just leave the park when lines were short and things were walk-on, but that is what we did.

Post Thanks / Like

Our family does not have a breaking point. We have two year breaks between years when we go four times. As stated above, it keeps it fresh for us. Disney trips make up about half of our vacations

I have never seen a Harry Potter movie (I do not live under a rock) and our kids did not grow up with video games (we are outdoor types) so Universal is not appealing to our family on that level.

Forums seem to sort of generate discontent sometimes by putting the subject under a microscope. I have been disappointed in the magic bubble before but I have never felt like a CM wasn't doing everything they could to help me fix it nor have I felt that a park was half finished or wished there was more to do.
    Faith, Family, Fidelity, Fun

'88 - Honeymoon
    '02 - ASmovie
    '03 - VWL
    '04 - HHI
    '05 - DCL, BCV
    '06 - HHI
    '07 - POR, VWL, POP/BWV
    '09 - BWV, BCV/SSR
    '10 - BWV
    '12 - AKV/BCV, VWL
    '13 - AKV
    '15 - BCV, AKV
    '16 - AKV
    '18 - VWL
    '19 - OKW, THV, GF
    '20 - BWV
    '21 - AKL/OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I would ever get to the point of no return. I mean that would take a lot. But I can tell you we have black listed several restaurants because of poor service. There are some hotels I probably wouldn't stay at for one reason or another. But collectively as a whole none of these things are so bad that I would never return. I guess at some point my kids may get tired of going but my DH and I have a bucket list of what we would do in the world without kids. So, I don't ever imagine myself not going. I've been coming my whole life its in my blood.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

DITTO!!!!!

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience. Thank you azcavalier for starting this thread.

I've been a Disney fanatic since childhood and will be one forever. Everything that has already been written in this thread could have been written by me. I'll never reach the point of "never again". For me, WDW and DLR always have been and always will be my favorite vacation places. In just about 3-1/2 months I'll be heading back to WDW; and yes, I'm working on plans for the next trip in Spring 2016. Watch out for me. When I'm not visiting one of my favorite attractions, enjoying one of my favorite performers, or riding one of my favorite rides, I'll be relaxing on a bench, enjoying a Mickey bar, listening to the sounds around me, and people-watching somewhere in WDW and loving life.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

You can see from my signature how many times we travel to WDW, not as often as many on these boards. We love Disney, but are limited by our budget and we have others things we want to do. We're probably done for a while until we have grandchildren who are old enough to enjoy it.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    We're probably done for a while until we have grandchildren who are old enough to enjoy it.
    I've thought about that, too. My oldest had his last day of high school today. He'll be leaving on a mission this summer, will return in two years and start college...at which time he'll start dating pretty seriously. I could see him married inside of four or five years. Then grandkids won't be too far behind.....and my oldest daughter is only three years behind him. In ten years, I imagine i'll be a grandpa. And man, I can't wait to start taking Grandkids to WDW! That'll make it feel like a whole new world, I imagine. My wife has started thinking about adding to the DVC points just for that reason.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

manutd1 Guest

No breaking point here!! We go every two years.....sometimes more often. It gets BETTER each time. The parks are immaculate and we always have a wonderful time. The kids love WDW and DLR. Yes, it does get more expensive...But thats fine. I work more overtime if i need to but we always do a 7 day trip. It just never gets old. Our next trip to the World is 2017. Hopefully Disneyland Summer of 16!! We just returned May 9th after a fantastic 7 day trip to WDW.

As another poster stated....Disney is in my blood...(along with Vegas) And, until I'm dead......I'm going back and back....
    Nothing negative about a Disney vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been at least once a year for the last 24 years and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a 12 month period. While I would love to go back to Disneyland ( haven't been since 1970) I don't think I could go to that park as often as WDW (if I lived closer). WDW has so much to do and with a park hopper, I do not get bored. I like not having to drive, having so many choices of activities and dining options. Don't have any other vacation plans - I like my 2 hour plane ride and I feel like I am going "home" each visit. Other trips seem to be more stressful planning. Can't wait for December and our 8 nights at SOG!

I know families that go on cruises every year. That sounds boring to me. Have been on one Disney cruise and I don't think I would go on another ( except maybe to Alaska).
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Eh ... things go in cycles. We still go every year and have a blast as a family every time. I'm not thrilled with the way things are now, but I have faith they'll change and improve in the future.

In the meantime, DW and I enjoy the heck out of the time we spend in WDW with our four kids and wouldn't trade that time for the world.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    In the meantime, DW and I enjoy the heck out of the time we spend in WDW with our four kids and wouldn't trade that time for the world.

We like to go down at least once a year and have been doing so since our youngest was 6 months old, he is now 11. We like to see more than do at WDW. We enjoy walking around checking out all the parks/resorts have to offer. Our kids as they get older like to explore places we haven't spent much time at over the years. IMHO, there is always something new to do.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!

No breaking point here yet. We go every other year and do different trips in between. We really enjoy all of our trips, but going to WDW is always exciting. Every trip has been amazing and we've got so many special memories from each and every one of them.

I don't know if we would start to feel differently if we went every year. I think that experiencing different locations helps keep the magic alive for us.

This might be the first time we go two years in a row. We went last spring and were originally planning to do a big out west road trip this year. But, with the job change, we won't have as much vacation time this year, so can't do the out west trip the way we want. So, DH brought up WDW and we're thinking about going in Aug. I know I'm just as excited!!
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if we've hit a breaking point (or even if one for us exists,) but we have cut back on our visits. If you check my signature, you see our visits have larger spans than before.

I remember prior to our 2012 trip, I read so many negative posts I almost expected not to recognize Walt Disney World. In reality, it was one of our most enjoyable vacations. Customer Service was extraordinary. Our dining was excellent throughout. And wait times were very manageable.

Heading back in September, once again negative posts have me concerned we will have a "Less-Than-Magical Vacation." In all likelihood, Customer Service will be its usual outstanding self; FastPass+ will probably be a non-issue (or maybe even an enhancer); and our trip will be great and family will be asking, "When are we coming back?"

Price has lengthened the time between trips for us. We used to purchase an Annual Pass and take at least two trips on one pass. (Three sometimes.) Now, four APs will cost nearly $2,800. Add airfare, and you can see a main reason for fewer trips. This was also the first time we questioned attending the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - one of our favorite events. At nearly $300 for the four of us, it is at the tipping point. Any more, and we will say, "No!" to that.

I'm sure there is a breaking point for us somewhere. I know we haven't hit it yet. My DD12 is a HUGE Harry Potter fan and I feel quite confident I can plan a Universal trip for significantly less than one at WDW. But DW will say, "We can't be that close to Disney and not go."

No breaking point yet.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    They can never open another attraction and I will continue to go back. It is about the atmosphere and the memories I have gained. I just want to stroll down main street and feel happy!
    Yes, this. Exactly.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

No wall for me. That said, I do find some of the recent changes at WDW a bit off-putting. Time will tell whether they grow on me or not.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip was in 1989. I was deployed in Korea and my wife was stateside. upon my return, she planned a trip to WDW and we stayed at the Poly. I was hooked. we returned every year from 1989 to 2012, most years twice.

We watched the value for our dollar drop, but we still went. Our last trip was a computer disaster. the day we arrived was a day Disney changed over to a new computer system. we had pre-paid everything. upon our arrival, they could not find our reservations.

what was their solution? we had to pay OOP for 2 and a 1/2 days until they could find our reservations! we had to waste a lot of time when we first arrived and then again when they found our reservations. luckily for us, I have been truly blessed financially and I could afford to pay OOP. others may not have been so lucky.

shortly after this fiasco, the fp+ started. add that to the diminishing value and our computer fiasco, we have not returned to WDW and we don't plan to.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it would have to be something financial-related for me. If it got to the point where I could only afford to go to Disney to the exclusion of some of the other places I'm fortunate enough to visit I might cut back or look elsewhere. Similarly, if I was running up debt to afford a trip or cutting back on saving for retirement and things like that then I'd have to re-evaluate. I enjoy Disney a ton but I'd rather be financially independent and able to do whatever I want by the time I hit 50 than have to work into my 70s because I gave all my money to the Mouse. Since I live nearby most of the year I kind of get the best of both worlds, frequent visits at low cost, a $480 AP renewal is my cost to visit, not $4,000-$7,000 for a family trip including airfare + hotel + tickets + meals. There are things I wish Disney would change but overall I have fun when I go.

Granted, we're pretty much a Disney obsessed group seeing as how we've specifically joined a website dedicated to being a Disney fan. I've seen some people on here that REALLY have no breaking point, people that are...
    -behind on rent, have no money to pay the next month's rent but still have a Disney vacation planned and paid for...
    -selling off personal items they say they didn't want to sell because their daughter would only be a 'sophomore in high school once' and they just HAD to go back...
    -people swearing off Disney due to a price increase and less than 48 hours later posting about the great deal they just got on another upcoming trip.
    Those are way beyond my breaking point, but to each their own.

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I suppose it would have to be something financial-related for me. If it got to the point where I could only afford to go to Disney to the exclusion of some of the other places I'm fortunate enough to visit I might cut back or look elsewhere. Similarly, if I was running up debt to afford a trip or cutting back on saving for retirement and things like that then I'd have to re-evaluate. I enjoy Disney a ton but I'd rather be financially independent and able to do whatever I want by the time I hit 50 than have to work into my 70s because I gave all my money to the Mouse. Since I live nearby most of the year I kind of get the best of both worlds, frequent visits at low cost, a $480 AP renewal is my cost to visit, not $4,000-$7,000 for a family trip including airfare + hotel + tickets + meals. There are things I wish Disney would change but overall I have fun when I go.

Granted, we're pretty much a Disney obsessed group seeing as how we've specifically joined a website dedicated to being a Disney fan. I've seen some people on here that REALLY have no breaking point, people that are...
    -behind on rent, have no money to pay the next month's rent but still have a Disney vacation planned and paid for...
    -selling off personal items they say they didn't want to sell because their daughter would only be a 'sophomore in high school once' and they just HAD to go back...
    -people swearing off Disney due to a price increase and less than 48 hours later posting about the great deal they just got on another upcoming trip.
    Those are way beyond my breaking point, but to each their own.
    To the examples you gave.....IMHO, You only live once....and can't take anything with you to the grave....have fun in life and if a person wants to go......then GO. You will only regret not going. I understand your points. But, I will in no way sacrifice enjoying life..to possibly be financially independent. My father was like that...literally a few days before he died...he told me that was his major regret. He would have RATHER worked later in life and did more all of his life...instaed of saving and doing less during his life. He told me to enjoy life...money is meant to be spent. Does no one any good after they are dead. Obviously, if someone can't afford to go...they can't afford to go. thats just the way it is. But, I will always remember him telling me how much he regretted focusing so much on saving instead of enjoying the one life we have..

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: