Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from WDW after a 3.67 year gap between trips. Prior to this gap, we had 11 trips in 8 years. This trip was non-stop, but enjoyable. Overall, we did not lose the magic, however the free dining crowds in September took WDW off our list for our main annual vacation. In addition, the hassle and cost of air travel was another factor.

We look forward to our next trip to WDW as well as a DL and a Disney cruise. I hope Disney becomes more active in adding some new major attractions. The commitment to an apparent one hit wonder-Avatar, was not the best choice.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickey View Post
    The commitment to an apparent one hit wonder-Avatar, was not the best choice.
    I'm not too sure about that thought myself:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

Quote out of a NY Times article critical of the "biggest box office of all time" comments circulating back in 2010 ..........

"One other detail: “Avatar” would be closer to the top spot in a ranking of worldwide grosses, as opposed to ticket sales only in this country. This worldwide list, also from Box Office Mojo, is not adjusted for inflation, but you can do the math yourself. Based on these numbers, “Titanic” is slightly ahead of “Avatar.” “Star Wars” may or may not be, depending on how much of its gross came in 1977 and how much came in later years. I also wonder whether there is good data about the worldwide grosses for “Gone With the Wind” and other old movies."

His main beef in that piece is that the figures typically quoted are not adjusted for inflation. So "Gone With The Wind" box office Dollars are worth more than "Avatar" Dollars.

But Avatar is a very successful movie nonetheless. And a visual feast ... which is right up Disney's alley.

best,

................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

You can see we haven't been to WDW in a few years mainly because my son grew up (although I didn't). But, I'm a little hesitant to sink a lot of money into WDW again because:

1) It sounds like there is so much planning to do now. I like individual FP and line management because I like being flexible with minimal planning.
    2) Although the new Fantasyland sounds cool, has anything been done to update Epcot or Studios? So much potential there.
    3) We used to plan visits around slow times (Sept-Oct for us), but I'm hearing there really isn't one anymore. Not a deal breaker, but just something that was enticing.

Maybe I'm wrong about everything and it's all wonderful. I still love most all things Disney and really feel a desire to go pack and relive the magic. I guess I need to do more studying on how things work now (I listen to the podcast and read this and other forums, but don't really do in-depth research). I try to be objective, but at this point I'm fine not going back.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    I'm not too sure about that thought myself:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

Quote out of a NY Times article critical of the "biggest box office of all time" comments circulating back in 2010 ..........

"One other detail: “Avatar” would be closer to the top spot in a ranking of worldwide grosses, as opposed to ticket sales only in this country. This worldwide list, also from Box Office Mojo, is not adjusted for inflation, but you can do the math yourself. Based on these numbers, “Titanic” is slightly ahead of “Avatar.” “Star Wars” may or may not be, depending on how much of its gross came in 1977 and how much came in later years. I also wonder whether there is good data about the worldwide grosses for “Gone With the Wind” and other old movies."

His main beef in that piece is that the figures typically quoted are not adjusted for inflation. So "Gone With The Wind" box office Dollars are worth more than "Avatar" Dollars.

But Avatar is a very successful movie nonetheless. And a visual feast ... which is right up Disney's alley.

best,

................john
    I was thinking the same thing. Avatar, which there is the second movie soon to be released....and a third in pre production...ALL of them (with the first) already being huge....will be massive box office movies. I think using Avatar at the A.K. is a very good choice. Looking forward to it

Post Thanks / Like

Im reserving judgement on Avatar. I liked the movie fine, and I think that Disney could do a great job with it....if they don't cut the budget too much. The imagineers could make it spectacular, if allowed to do what they do without too much restriction.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like the movie much, but I will wait and see how it goes. There are so many things at Disney that aren't tied to movies that it is a moot point for me. Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. Splash Mountain is based on a movie, but I'm willing to bet most young kids now have no idea what that movie is about.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I didn't like the movie much, but I will wait and see how it goes. There are so many things at Disney that aren't tied to movies that it is a moot point for me. Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. Splash Mountain is based on a movie, but I'm willing to bet most young kids now have no idea what that movie is about.
    Shoot, i'm 42 and am not sure what the movie is about. I have a vague idea, but haven't seen it.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Shoot, i'm 42 and am not sure what the movie is about. I have a vague idea, but haven't seen it.
    Um, a kid runs away. There's a rabbit, a bear, and a fox. That's about all I know. Oh and a laughin' place. lol

"Time to be turnin' around" "If only you could"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Doesn't mean they couldn't make movies in the future a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion...
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we never hit our breaking point. We go 2 sometimes 3 times a year and get excited for each trip.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

We've decided to try real Germany instead of Epcot Germany for a change of pace and to allow Disney to make some more new attractions, but we are still planning to visit a castle or three, including the one that inspired the Disney ones.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar unknown to youth

My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World" - frankly a one-hit wonder. Does anyone here think the ET ride at Universal is a must see? ET also a very popular one-hit wonder movie. They should cancel the project and go all out with Star Wars and Marvel. These are the buzz now and have a long history.

Avatar is distinctly anti-Disney - let's face it - a movie about greedy capitalists vs nature. Doesn't it seem not to mesh with a huge company like Disney carving out new "worlds" like Avatar in the Florida forests?
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Doesn't mean they couldn't make movies in the future a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion...
    If Avatarland turns into a huge hit, I can see them making an animated series out of it with an underlying theme of taking care of nature or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DadTriton View Post
    My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World" - frankly a one-hit wonder. Does anyone here think the ET ride at Universal is a must see? ET also a very popular one-hit wonder movie. They should cancel the project and go all out with Star Wars and Marvel. These are the buzz now and have a long history.

Avatar is distinctly anti-Disney - let's face it - a movie about greedy capitalists vs nature. Doesn't it seem not to mesh with a huge company like Disney carving out new "worlds" like Avatar in the Florida forests?
    Yes ET is a must see... One of the best dark rides ever created in a theme park, and a true classic...

The greedy capitalists vs nature isn't the message Disney will be conveying here... Please, move on from what the movie seemed to be about and look at what the real message of the movie... CONSERVATION... Stop destroying your planet!!!! Fits in perfectly with Animal Kingdom's conservation message...

Oh and one hit wonders? ET is far from a one hit wonder... ET the movie is a classic movie, showed on cable, watched by millions and millions even to this day... ET is still pretty popular...

P.S. Disney cannot use Marvel in WDW so move on from that too...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

It's entertainment and a vacation. I don't think there is a breaking point unless it became unceremoniously expensive, but if planned well you can succeed in having a lovely vacation within a modest budget. The only outside factor really could be airfare.

As far as Avatarland is concerned, I really don't understand the thought process of dedicating an entire land to something with minimal story and character background. The literary backdrop of imagination and immersive nature just doesn't seem to be there for such a large commitment of land within AK. One attraction within a more laid out world maybe so, but I have no doubt that they can introduce wonderful theming and an exciting E-Ticket, but the lasting value and room for growth just doesn't seem to be there.

Harry Potter has the base of 7 books and an entire realm of possibilities to grow. I mean if Universal does decide to open a Hogwarts Hotel of some kind, it's pretty much game over on that front.

LOTR would hold true to the same standard and you can venture into the Nintendo deal and see the plethora of stories that there are to tell.

There are stand alone attractions at both theme parks that don't necessarily tell a story all that well yet are extremely popular, but even successful movies become antiquated and few reach the level of elite and adaptive to theme parks. I just think it holds true that if there is some sort of literary background beyond just the visual movie medium it can have a far lasting impact comics and long standing cartoons included.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

We agree with this also:

My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbuddy View Post
    We agree with this also:

My kids and I are not excited about "Avatar World"

I don't think you have to be excited about the movie to find an attraction of theming interesting.

Looking forward to seeing it if it ever gets done... 😁
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with the Avatar-land (or whatever) is the cultural impact of the movie. When you look at things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel comics, Raiders, Simpsons, Harry Potter, etc. there is a huge cultural impact. Even though Avatar may have been a huge box-office hit, there are not annual conventions of Avatar fans, at least that I know of, and they don't sell Avatar costumes in stores. No one has a collection of Avatar plates in their kitchen or collects hundreds of dollars worth of Avatar action figures. To me, an Avatar land would excite me as much as a Titanic themed park - yes, you could make it visually appealing and there is a great story there, but is it really going to draw you there? For me, it's not. Maybe there are Avatar fanboys/fangirls out there and I don't know about it. I just don't see the average family saying, "let's go to Disney World. I'm super excited to see the new Avatar ride(s)."
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

As so many have posted not a breaking point, but certainly as the whoa, the prices are making us think point.

Kids are all grown, but the six of us all enjoy the WDW experience. DW and I started going to the Food & Wine Festival a few years ago. Simply loved it. Went back again , skipped a year and came back this year with kids who are all adults joining us for part of the week. DW and I also ran the TOT 10 Miler.

Hard to put our finger on it, but everything seemed so crowded, FP+ was annoying at best, a pain for the most part, MNSSHP was way too crowded for the price paid and the food prices were off the charts. Did we have a great time? Absolutely. Will we back? At some point. But a Baltic Cruise later this year and one through the Panama Canal next year are taking the place of any WDW trips.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

We have already cut way back, but the final nail in the coffin would be the end of Magic Your Way pricing.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: