Quantcast Staggs named COO of Disney Company

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staggs named COO of Disney Company

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 5, 2015

THOMAS O. STAGGS NAMED CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY

BURBANK, Calif.—Thomas O. Staggs has been named Chief Operating Officer of The Walt Disney Company, it was announced today by Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

A 25-year Disney veteran, Mr. Staggs is Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, overseeing the strategy, operations and creative development of the company’s iconic travel and leisure businesses. He will assume the role of Chief Operating Officer immediately, while continuing to lead Parks and Resorts until a successor is named. Disney’s senior management team, including all business segment leaders, will report jointly to Mr. Iger and Mr. Staggs, with the exception of the Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel, Chief Communications Officer and Chief Human Resources Officer, who will continue to report directly to Mr. Iger.

“Tom is an incredibly experienced, talented and versatile executive who has led Parks and Resorts during a time of unprecedented growth and expansion, including the construction of Shanghai Disney Resort. His proven ability to lead a business as well as his successful tenure as Disney’s former CFO make him an ideal Chief Operating Officer, expanding his portfolio into all the company’s businesses,” Mr. Iger said.

“It’s a privilege to step into this role, and I am humbled and honored by the opportunity. I look forward to working more closely with Bob and the talented senior management team across the company to continue to build Disney’s future through unparalleled creativity, innovative technology and global expansion,” Mr. Staggs said.

Since 2010, Mr. Staggs has led Parks and Resorts’ global team of more than 130,000 Cast Members, Crew Members and Imagineers, with the segment delivering record revenue, profit and attendance levels. In addition to overseeing the development of Shanghai Disney Resort, and a new Avatar-themed land at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park, during Tom’s tenure, Disney has launched two new cruise ships; opened Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, in Hawai‘i; added three new lands at Hong Kong Disneyland; doubled the size of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom; and completed a multi-year expansion of the Disneyland Resort with the addition of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park.

Prior to that, Mr. Staggs served as Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of The Walt Disney Company. He played a critical role in the execution of the acquisitions of Capital Cities/ABC, Pixar Animation Studios and Marvel Entertainment. As CFO for twelve years, he spearheaded the realignment of Disney’s performance goals toward the combination of profit growth and strong long-term capital returns and free cash flow. He has been praised by Wall Street for his financial and communications skills, and was consistently voted the entertainment industry’s No. 1 CFO by Institutional Investor magazine.

Mr. Staggs joined Disney in 1990 as Manager of Strategic Planning and quickly advanced through a series of positions of increased responsibility, leading to his appointment as Chief Financial Officer in 1998. Before joining Disney, he worked in investment banking at Morgan Stanley & Co.

Mr. Staggs earned a bachelor’s degree in business from the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management and an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'd assume this means he'll step in and take over as CEO once Iger retires next year.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Variety has a write up as well. Notes that Rasulo does not currently have a contract with Disney and is expected to depart. This pretty much confirms that will happen.

It was either Rasulo or Staggs for #2 and now Iger has made the choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd assume this means he'll step in and take over as CEO once Iger retires next year.
    Also reported is that Iger is in until 2018.

Variety Source: h++p://variety.com/2015/biz/news/disney-promotes-tom-staggs-to-no-2-post-positioning-him-as-igers-successor-1201423601/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

After I seeing this thread I was expecting some analysis of the announcement...

So is this a positive, negative, or neutral step for WDW in the opinion of the I'cot Board of Directors?
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Rasulo leaving would be a step in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Also reported is that Iger is in until 2018.
    Yes, Iger's contract was extended a while back.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah I missed the Iger thing ... just Googled it.

I agree that Rasulo leaving is a positive sign. He was a real loser.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did not find any discussion of this, but I just read an SEC filing from May 27, 2015, which indicates Rasulo will resign as effective June 30, 2015:

"On May 27, 2015, James A. Rasulo, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company, advised the Company that he will resign as Chief Financial Officer effective June 30, 2015. Mr. Rasulo will remain employed by the Company following that date at terms not yet determined."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I did not find any discussion of this, but I just read an SEC filing from May 27, 2015, which indicates Rasulo will resign as effective June 30, 2015:

"On May 27, 2015, James A. Rasulo, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company, advised the Company that he will resign as Chief Financial Officer effective June 30, 2015. Mr. Rasulo will remain employed by the Company following that date at terms not yet determined."
    Best news ever! Did I read somewhere back there were clowns coming to MGM for something? Maybe that's the undisclosed terms...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

We actually talk about this on the next podcast due this weekend.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: