Quantcast Montreal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Montreal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Montreal

I'm getting a last minute trip together for Montreal at the end of June. It's turning into a girls week with my sisters. I have zero ideas of things to do, where to stay, etc. I'm going to be picking up a travel book this weekend and have started to use the Google machine but am kind of at a loss on where to start? Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do or see. Do we need to rent a car or is public transportation pretty good? What about places to stay? Any areas we should look to stay in - or avoid?

Thank you all!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at the Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain on more than one occasion. It's an older property but very charming. Plus, you don't even need to exit the buidling to get access to the Metro. The Metro is very easy to use - buses are a little more challenging to figure out

There are any number of things to do in Montreal. There are many museusm but, when we've been there, the weather was good and we did out of door things. We have taken a boat ride on the river; visited Mont Royal (this involved a bus ride); Old Montreal is just a metro ride away and is quite walkable (you could even pick up a horse drawn carriage to drive you back to your hotel (at least when we were last there);there are cathedrals to visit; Olympic park, botanical gardens, and I could go on and on. It's a lovely city. While French is the official language, many people are bi-lingual and English speakers are abundant.

Enjoy!!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You will love Montreal! My DH grew up there, and we've been back many times.

If there is something specific you're thinking of (as you do some research), let me know and we can give some more ideas and feedback. What do you like to do, how old is everyone going?

In general, DH recommends:
    * Crescent Street if you're looking for a party/club/pub scene.
    * The Old Port is awesome. There is so much to do, both during the day, and great restaurants at night. It really is the "typical" Montreal thing to do.
    * St.Denis is the arts area, or you can hike up Mount Royal

On top of those, I recommend:
    * St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal. If you're into churches or history at all, it was AMAZING (and I loved it way more than Notre-Dame)
    * Visiting the site of the old Montreal Forum. There is still a good hockey display, and in a city where hockey is a religion, it is worth the few minutes it takes.

Don't miss Schwartz's for lunch, it is WORTH waiting in the line that will be there, no matter the time of day. He also always the Bar-B-Barn for ribs.

You don't need to rent a car. The STM has a number of "fare cards" for a few days/weekends and the Metro goes almost everywhere you'll want to go.

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn near the port/Chinatown and it was lovely. Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and it was perfectly fine as well, just a block south of Rue Ste-Catherine (the main street) and we walked most places.

We speak French, and the city is quite bilingual, but we've never had an issue using English when needed either, so do go and enjoy.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Montreal is one of my favourite cities. You will love it! People have already mentioned many of the essentials.

Depending on what you like to do:
    * Isle St. Helene/Parc Jean Drapeau is the site where Expo 67 (the World Fair) was. The Metro goes there on the yellow line. The Biosphere, which was the US Pavilion, is worth a photo and a look for sure (think Epcot ball BUT a fire has made the whole thing translucent now vs. covered.) The museum is NOT worth your time. The island sometimes has events and there is a beautiful outdoor pool right underneath it if you have any swimmers in the group. There is also a Six Flags (La Ronde) on the island but it's love or hate for people.
    * Old Montreal is so great during day and night. There is a public square with street performers. Food. Shops. (Christmas Shop, chocolate, etc. etc.) Go in the cathedral there! It's beautiful. There is an AMAZING roof top patio for a drink or dessert in Old Montreal at Place des Armes hotel. You look down on the square. One of my favourite places. The area is a lot like Quebec City and at the harbour there is a lot to do!
    * Crescent (English and more $$$) and St. Denis (more French and less $) have pubs and restaurants.
    * O' Thym is one of my favourite restaurants there. It's BYOV and I'd make a reservation. French Food. There are many other good finds, too!
    * The Olypmic Park area is also available on Metro (Pie IX). Again, worth a photo--captures the arcitecture of the time. I also like the Biodome (note not the Biosphere) and the new Planetarium and the Tower (you can do combo passes for any or all of these) but just walking around and seeing this different area is cool. There are also gardens there.
    * Lots of great shopping on St. Catherine's and below (it's underground city). So the flagship stores are on ground level with many stores many floors down. Simon's is a great department store local to the area with a big range of clothing options. The Arts district is in the midst of it (Place des Arts) with really cool fountains and performers sometimes. Also cool at night.
    * The Plateau is one of the coolest areas for shops/cafes/etc. It all has those Montreal architecture buildings with outdoor stairs/balconies. La Fontaine is a big beautiful park there too if you have some time for a picnic or relaxing.

Some tips:
    * Enjoy the European feel. It's one of Canada's most European infused places. Enjoy sitting to enjoy coffee vs. always rushing.
    * St. Laurent is the main street that splits the island East and West. West will be more anglophone and East will be more francophone. Don't let the French spook you. Try a bonjour/salut, it will go a long way! Even if you are greeted in French, almost everyone will switch to English for you (even if you try French). The ONLY place French can be a little pushed is with public transit for some reason in my opinion and experience, so buying transit passes etc. just ask someone around you to help you navigate if need be.
    * Things are so compact and walkable. Where you can't walk the underground Metro is amazing. Cabs are readily available too. There is also bikeshare (called Bixi there) if you've ever done that system.

Not sure what summer events will have started then but Sundays can be a fun day. There are Tam-tams (djembes) on the Plateau and Piknic Electronik (a bit more full on) outside on Isle St. Helene at Parc Jean Drapeau.

I'm envious! Montrealers are amazing! Enjoy! There is so much public art there and so many terraces (if you're a sangria fan, you're in luck!). The city has a really cool vibe from all of it's world events in the 60's and 70's, so I love how the vibe captures those eras.
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your help! I'm taking notes!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: