Quantcast Spectromagic!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectromagic!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spectromagic!

Are they EVER going to bring Spectromagic back to the Magic Kingdom Park! I really miss it!

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)
    '04~Saratoga
    '05~Polynesian (Apr)
    '05~Pop (Sep)
    '06~POR FQ
    '14-Pop
    '16~Off (March)
    '16~ASMusic (Aug)
    '17~Off'

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    Are they EVER going to bring Spectromagic back to the Magic Kingdom Park! I really miss it!
    No... it is gone...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of the floats were damaged in a storm? Am I remembering that correctly?
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that a lot of the floats were damaged in a storm? Am I remembering that correctly?
    Floats were reportedly not stored right for the Florida weather... Some say the floats (at least some) were damaged by termites, some were rotted... Some were saved and still in good condition, and come out every once in a while...

The parade is gone though... A new night time fireworks show is in the planning stages, so maybe a new night time parade is too...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sad! It was my Favorite! you tube it is!

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)
    '04~Saratoga
    '05~Polynesian (Apr)
    '05~Pop (Sep)
    '06~POR FQ
    '14-Pop
    '16~Off (March)
    '16~ASMusic (Aug)
    '17~Off'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Floats were reportedly not stored right for the Florida weather... Some say the floats (at least some) were damaged by termites, some were rotted... Some were saved and still in good condition, and come out every once in a while...

The parade is gone though... A new night time fireworks show is in the planning stages, so maybe a new night time parade is too...
    They were in pretty rough shape as far back as 2001-2, when I first started working Parades on Main Street. As a Parade Audience Control (PAC) trainer, one of our "things" was to go back to Parade Storage (behind Pirates/Splash) and allow our trainees to actually sit in the floats and see what the driver sees from the "cockpit". It's not a very good view, which was why we stressed that our PAC Cast must do good at their job of keeping guests out of the streets/crosswalks.

The floats are mostly wood - which explains the termites and rot.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    They were in pretty rough shape as far back as 2001-2, when I first started working Parades on Main Street. As a Parade Audience Control (PAC) trainer, one of our "things" was to go back to Parade Storage (behind Pirates/Splash) and allow our trainees to actually sit in the floats and see what the driver sees from the "cockpit". It's not a very good view, which was why we stressed that our PAC Cast must do good at their job of keeping guests out of the streets/crosswalks.

I can only imagine the condition of the floats in Main Street Electrical Parade... Someone told me they aren't in good, never mind great, shape and have major issues as well...

Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine the condition of the floats in Main Street Electrical Parade... Someone told me they aren't in good, never mind great, shape and have major issues as well...
    It's remarkable any of them still work after all these years no matter how well they store them. Florida heat and humidity is brutal. I've lost several things because my husband moved them out of their storage place. And if we leave out Christmas lights in the garage off season (even properly packed) , at least 50% won't work when it is time to put them up.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, this is not done in PAC training anymore. The Backstage #1 & 2 positions are now staffed by Parade Entertainment CM's so PAC training does not even go back to the PC anymore at all.

Spectro floats got completely dismantled a few years ago. A lot of the drive components were "robbed" when MSEP came back in 2010 to overhaul some of those floats.

The last time I went back to the PC, about a year ago, there were no signs of any of the old Spectro floats and I walked back thru both buildings and around back by the waterway.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a CM in action on my last trip. Saved a small child. I'm sure it is a thankless job but very important nonetheless.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    It's remarkable any of them still work after all these years no matter how well they store them. Florida heat and humidity is brutal. I've lost several things because my husband moved them out of their storage place. And if we leave out Christmas lights in the garage off season (even properly packed) , at least 50% won't work when it is time to put them up.
    I was actually amazed the parade looked good in 2013...

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually amazed the parade looked good in 2013...
    Were you referring to MSEP? Spectro ended in June of 2010. Most of the MSEP floats are constructed very differently than the Spectro floats were and really aren't subject to the same environmental issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Were you referring to MSEP? Spectro ended in June of 2010. Most of the MSEP floats are constructed very differently than the Spectro floats were and really aren't subject to the same environmental issues.
    Yes that was in reference to MSEP...

I said I was amazed at how good they looked because I had heard from several people that the floats were in really really bad shape and they feared half of them would never make the full parade route on any given night... Then I saw the parade in 2013 and the floats looked pretty good to me... But that is just with the naked eye... I have no knowledge of the true condition of the MSEP floats... Just what I've been told...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that was in reference to MSEP...

I said I was amazed at how good they looked because I had heard from several people that the floats were in really really bad shape and they feared half of them would never make the full parade route on any given night... Then I saw the parade in 2013 and the floats looked pretty good to me... But that is just with the naked eye... I have no knowledge of the true condition of the MSEP floats... Just what I've been told...
    Physically, they looked in good shape when they came in early 2010 but mechanically, not very good, at least so I was told by some of the parade mechanics. The first month or so the Dopey float could hardly make it up Main St., tires were not up to par to make the grade when it got to the Trolley track steel plates (DLR is very flat).

Post Thanks / Like

I hope those CREEPY white masks were destroyed !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Physically, they looked in good shape when they came in early 2010 but mechanically, not very good, at least so I was told by some of the parade mechanics. The first month or so the Dopey float could hardly make it up Main St., tires were not up to par to make the grade when it got to the Trolley track steel plates (DLR is very flat).
    Eek... so what I have been told and heard is true then huh? I almost didn't believe it when I was told they are in rough shape cause I thought they were just fine in 2013... But alas, as you said, to the eye they look good, but the mechanics are another story...

Let's hope they do design a new night time parade...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbuddy View Post
    THIS!!!!

It's time for new everything - nighttime parade, fireworks! Give me a reason to stay late in the parks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbuddy View Post
    They were on big reason that the parade was retired. Disney received a lot of complaints about them to the point that they tried to fix the issue by removing the masks and going with lit faces in white face makeup. They were still creepy. People really liked the floats but hated the Spectromen and that took away from the overall enjoyment of the parade.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Eek... so what I have been told and heard is true then huh? I almost didn't believe it when I was told they are in rough shape cause I thought they were just fine in 2013... But alas, as you said, to the eye they look good, but the mechanics are another story...

Let's hope they do design a new night time parade...
    Almost every float currently in use has had "refurbishment work" done to it in some form since the parade came to the MK. It seems to be in pretty good shape right now but still have some technical glitches some nights that can keep some sections out, sometimes mechanical and sometimes cast specific issues.

As far as a new night parade, from what I have heard, don't hold your breath for anything very soon. Never know though as things at Disney can (and sometimes do) change in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a huge fan of Spectro, not so much for MEP. It's like a time capsule. Everything from the lights to the music. I was able to watch the new Disneyland night parade on webcams they had set up for the 24 hour summer event. Holy cow!! It was amazing. Totally brought the nighttime parade into the 21st century. It was spectacular.

They did such a great job with the new 3 o'clock parade for MK, time to do the same for the night parade.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: