Quantcast What's the best trip you've taken in the U.S.?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the best trip you've taken in the U.S.?

We took a short trip with my husband's extended family to Yellowstone last summer and had a great time. Now we are looking to do trips with that group every 1-2 years and are compiling our bucket list. What were some of the best trips you've taken in the U.S.? What did you see and do?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Hawaii!! We've done four trips to Hawaii total - one was a cruise of Hawaii years ago (Great way to get an overview of all that Hawaii has to offer). Our last three trips have been split between Oahu and Maui. For two of those, we spent a few days in Waikiki before moving on to Hawaii. On our last trip, we spent a few days at Aulani before moving on to Hawaii. On Oahu, you can explore the North Shore (where the big surfing competitions take place), visit Pearl Harbor (NOT to be missed); explore the USS Missouri; and the submarine, Bowfin; head to the air museum on Ford Island; hang out at the beach; wander through the shops in Waikiki; visit the Aloha Tower. Maui is pretty laid back but there is still plenty to see and do. Spend a day driving the Hana highway - if you're lucky and there were recent rains, you'll see a number of waterfalls. Visit Iao Valley State Park - the site of a bloody battle important in Hawaiian history; drive up through the North Shore; visit the aquarium; travel to the top of Haleakala (Many book sunrise tours here) but be careful as the air can be quite thin by time you reach the top; explore the shops and dining in Lahaina (an old whaling town); in season (December-March primarily) book a whale watch cruise; walk the beach; snorkel; etc etc.

Another favorite was a visit to the Grand Canyon. We booked a cabin (We made the booking a year in advance as these reservations go quickly) right on the rim of the canyon. Loved being able to open our shades in the morning and seeing the canyon right there. Here, you can hike, take a bus tour of other areas, ride mules to the bottom of the canyon if you are so inclined (we did not do this); take a train ride; relax and enjoy the scenery!!

Of course, there is Disney World. We return to this location again and again and always find new and fun things to do!!

Have you been to Niagara Falls? If not, that is another worthwhile location to visit.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Our best trip was a 3 week road trip, where we drove from east Texas, to California and back. We stopped at numerous national and state parks in about 7 states, as well as Disneyland and Las Vegas. So much fun!

How far are y'all looking to go and for how long?

Post Thanks / Like

With a larger group here's a trip that can appeal to everyone.

We did a Grand Canyon / Las Vegas trip.....Stayed 4 days at the El Tovar. It was wonderful...and 7 days at the Venetian.... that was great too!

Don't discount Las Vegas for kids either. We had my son with us who was under 10 at the time. We did Hoover Dam, an Old West Village, tons of stuff on the strip....Aquarium at Mandalay Bay, Rides at NY NY & Stratosphere, Animals & Volcano at the Mirage, M&M store/attraction, King Tut stuff, Fountains at the Bellagio, Tower at the Paris, Excalibur had a fun knight dinner show, Venetian had the gondola ride, we did Cirque de Soleil shows....and know how I am forgetting a lot.

It was a great trip!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one if you don't mind moving a couple of time during the trip.

Newport Rhode Island.....Mansions
    Boston MA....Freedom Trail & Much More...Stay at the Omni here
    Salem MA.....Witches, Witches & More Witches

We did this years ago and it was very cool
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my favorite vacations from my childhood are,
    Renting a condo in Williamsburg at christmastime
    Rented a house on Kiawah Island, SC
    Dude ranch in Colorado
    Renting an RV and driving up highway one in CA from Monterrey to Yosemite
    San Diego
    Hawaii
    Las Vegas/ Grand Canyon
    Condo on the beach in the keys

And Disney world, of course!
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband loves battle history. It's his favorite subject. It's not really my cup of tea but I indulge him because he returns the favor with Disney. We took a trip to Gettysburg and the whole family enjoyed it. The tour of the battlefield could last a couple of days if you take the time to explore the different areas. There is a museum and the small town has many historic sites to visit.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite family trip was a 3 week road trip a few years ago.

DH had a 2 week military school in New Jersey so we made a family vacation out of it. We left about half a week before his class started, then had a half week for the drive back home. While he was in class the kids and I traveled to various places nearby. He also had a few days off here and there to accompany us to some of the locations.

All in all we visited the following places; Arlington, Virginia, DC, Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, National Harbor, Fort Dix, New Jersey, The Jersey Shore, Pocono Mountains, Philadelphia, New York City, Hershey, Penn., Amish Country, Gettysburg, and Asheville, North Carolina.

We had such a great time and would love to do something like this again. With our oldest in high school and on the football team it likely won't happen again. There is no way he could miss 3 weeks of football training over the summer. Glad we did it when we did!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

You said US, so that leaves out the trip we took to Montreal where I fell in love with that city. My favorite trip in the US would have to be visiting San Francisco/ Napa/ Sonoma. San Francisco has to be one of my favorite cities in the US (along with NYC, Boston, and New Orleans). Another place I loved visiting, but totally different to what I usually like, was Sedona, AZ.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Family camping trip in a small RV to Alaska and back, from Georgia. Lasted 6 weeks. Saw just about everything between here and there, St. Louis Arch, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Calgary Stampede, Lots of fantastic camping in the Canadian Rockies, Denali, Fairbanks, Cruise from Alaska to Vancouver, Space Needle, Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, The Alamo, and lots of other amazing and memorable places along the way. Took over 3 years of saving and planning, but it was worth it. My only regret was that we missed Yosemite, but we couldn't do it all.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Family camping trip in a small RV to Alaska and back, from Georgia. Lasted 6 weeks. Saw just about everything between here and there, St. Louis Arch, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Calgary Stampede, Lots of fantastic camping in the Canadian Rockies, Denali, Fairbanks, Cruise from Alaska to Vancouver, Space Needle, Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, The Alamo, and lots of other amazing and memorable places along the way. Took over 3 years of saving and planning, but it was worth it. My only regret was that we missed Yosemite, but we couldn't do it all.
    What a trip!!!! That is something I would love to do one day! Just feel like I've already missed that opportunity to do this with my kids. They would not want to be away from home, friends, and their sports for that long.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

OH! Can't believe I didn't mention this at first. My very favorite US city is Charleston, SC. By combining that with Savannah, and maybe Hilton Head, you could have a very nice trip. So much to see and do, if you are at all interested in good southern fun.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been doing "friend" group vacations for the last couple of years with 3-5 families and we leave again this Saturday.

1.) Telluride, CO - Summer tennis vacation. We drove from Phoenix and stayed in Mountain Village at Peaks Resort. An absolutely breathtaking place.
    2.) Kauai - We rented a large home for 5 families on the North Shore. Many shy away from the rental home but the cost is dramatically less and the kids just wake up and start their day.
    3.) Lake Tahoe - we leave this Saturday for 10 days. We've rented a home on the lake (4 families), I grew up vacationing in Tahoe and cannot wait for my kids to enjoy this beautiful place.
    4.) Maui - family trip - hands down my favorite island
    5.) Oahu - family trip - great trip, we have a friend that has lived there for many years, so we got the local treatment and skipped many of the typical tourist attractions.
    6.) San Francisco Bay Area - I grew up here, and this is just a fabulous location - 90 minutes in any given direction and the attractions are endless!
    7) Philiadelphia - really enjoy all the history in the city to Valley Forge and the poconos.
    8) Disney World - Loved these trips in the past. We have actually paused at Disney trips because of cost and we all just do not want to wait in lines anymore.
    9) Southern CA area (not San Diego) - this is an easy beach trip and many other excursions in the area (Disney, Knotts, Hollywood etc)
    10) San Diego - my parents live here, so we head there at every opportunity and it never disappoints.
    11) Sedona, AZ- easy weekend getway for us, hiking, tennis etc.
    12) Flagstaff, AZ - easy weekend getaway for us - escape the summer heat
    13) Almost forgot... San Juan Islands...unbelievable place. We stayed in Seattle for a few days and then to Orcas Island. Unbelievable beauty!

Our bucket list includes, yellowstone, jackson hole, and other National parks.
    Have Fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Disney View Post

Our bucket list includes, yellowstone, jackson hole, and other National parks.
    Have Fun!!
    Yellowstone is amazing. I suggest when you plan your visit to move around the park and stay in a couple of different areas.

We stayed in Jackson Hole for three days before we went to Yellowstone. It is such a cool little town. Check out the Rustic Inn for a place to stay.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough as prior to taking the trip we never would have expected it, a trip that included Washington DC for several days, then Williamsburg (also hit Busch Gardens while we were there) and then to Virginia Beach ended up being one of the best and most memorable trips we have ever taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Oddly enough as prior to taking the trip we never would have expected it, a trip that included Washington DC for several days, then Williamsburg (also hit Busch Gardens while we were there) and then to Virginia Beach ended up being one of the best and most memorable trips we have ever taken.
    Washington DC is a trip every American should make if possible. So much history and the Smithsonian's are great. The monuments are cool too. Williamsburg is such a beautiful area and Busch Gardens and it's waterpark Water Country USA are not to be missed. Colonial Williamsburg is a great place for people who like history.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The Cruise I took to Alaska as a teenager is probably my favorite. We went all over the place when I was growing up (Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, North Carolina, St. Louis, Florida, Puerto Rico) but Alaska really left an impression on me, even as a young person.

I now live near Washington D.C. now and frankly, can't stand it. I am NOT a history person at all, but I can see how it is a really great destination for a lot of people. We have done all the museums and monuments and they were all "once and done" for me, personally, although I visited a few several times when family came to visit. I can't wait to get the heck outta here. If my parents had brought us here as kids, I would have DIED from boredom.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I now live near Washington D.C. now and frankly, can't stand it. I am NOT a history person at all, but I can see how it is a really great destination for a lot of people. We have done all the museums and monuments and they were all "once and done" for me, personally, although I visited a few several times when family came to visit. I can't wait to get the heck outta here. If my parents had brought us here as kids, I would have DIED from boredom.
    I love DC proper. It's all the surrounding I could do without. Although I am a history major, DC is more about patriotism to me. For me, not a lot can compare to the feeling of standing at the war memorials and reflecting on those sacrifices, or staring up at the giant Thomas Jefferson or Abraham Lincoln in their beautiful memorials and remembering what great men they were and how they shaped our nation. But you know, I'm a sucker for Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure as well.

All that said, I know Maryanne has done DC, and lives close enough for weekend trips.

I will say though, Williamsburg is indeed a great trip. Besides Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, we went to Busch Gardens for the first time last summer and really enjoyed it. I like it better than it's Florida counterpart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I will say though, Williamsburg is indeed a great trip. Besides Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, we went to Busch Gardens for the first time last summer and really enjoyed it. I like it better than it's Florida counterpart.
    We liked Busch Gardens quite a bit as well. The rest of Williamsburg, the colonial stuff...LOOKED cool but as we were walking the area, a canon blast completely paralyzed my younger son and he lost his freaking mind. We basically had to run back to the car with him covering his ears and crying the whole way. So, yeah...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

When we travel in the U.S. we always include a national park--there are so many beautiful ones! Our most memorable trip was flying into Vegas, driving to Sedona, AZ (stopping at Hoover Dam on the way), staying there a few days for the scenery and hiking. The red rocks are absolutely stunning! We then drove up to the Grand Canyon, spent the day on the South Rim and then drove around the east side of the canyon and up to the North Rim, where we stayed in a cabin 20 feet from the canyon! From there we went up to Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park. The latter is one of my favorite parks ever. We hiked the "narrows" (the Virgin River enclosed on either side by a canyon--you hike in the river) and the resort we stayed at, the Desert Pearl Inn, was an amazing place. Our room had a private terrace overlooking the river and the red cliffs. I want to go back there someday for sure! We then drove back to Vegas for the flight home.

Other favorite places--Maine, San Francisco/northern California (including Yosemite), Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Washington D.C. and Gettysburg.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: