Quantcast Kennedy Space Center

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kennedy Space Center

Anyone been to Kennedy Space Center recently? We are going there for one day in August and would appreciate any tips on how to tour, where to eat, etc.

Any advice welcome!
    Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been there several times...our last visit was October 2013. We usually go on our way back from our Disney cruises so eating was only to get a quick snack since we are always filled from our departing breakfast.

Since we are only passing through, we only go for the day too. We only get to "skim" through most of the center and see a few shows. IMO it is a must see at least once. We have never taken the organized tours, which I hear are very good, because of time issues. Going offsite to their other facility is also supposed to be a very good tour. I think they even offer lunch with an astronaut, which my son would have loved when he was younger.

I have always planned to make this a two day stop but never seem to be able to do it.

I know I haven't given you a lot of detailed info, but I can say I believe you will enjoy your day at the center. We always do.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a few years since we last went but nothing has really changed since then so the same plan applies.

If you want to see everything and do the tours, you need to be there at opening. If you get there a couple of hours after opening, you will not have time to do everything.

As far as eating, I don't remember anything special. It is typical American theme park fare for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

We were able to see everything in 6 hours in May.( two of the buildings we closed for renovations) IMHO the tour of the launch pad was the best part, we did not do the reserved tour, just the general tour.

The food at KSC is the worst!!!! Yes as pp mentioned American fare-burgers chicken etc.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice, and quite enjoyed it both times!

However, I do agree with the previous posters - the food is HORRIBLE (and really expensive). I don't know if there is much way around it, but I wouldn't plan for more than a light lunch.

We've only ever done the general tour, but it is interesting and there is lots to do; plan a full day. If you make it over to the Hall of Fame, we've enjoyed our time there too! You have to take the time to read/participate in the exhibits, so depending on how interesting you find them, it may take you more/less time than us.

We did the bus tour to the different buildings first, and then spent the later afternoon back in the "main" area, the rocket garden, etc. We figured we were able to walk back to our car when we were done, instead of having to wait for a bus. I also think we missed a few lines ... at least it wasn't all that busy for us.

If you have AAA, buy your tickets in advance, it will save a few $$.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely should arrive at opening. It is a lot of area to cover. We attended lunch with an astronaut (Sam Gremar). He was a fantastic speaker. Very engaging. He also went around to all dining tables and briefly spoke with you. At the end you could get your picture with him. The meal served was good.

We loved KSC and would have loved to have been able to spend two days. In one day we felt somewhat rushed but we did to the lunch which was 2 hours although it was well worth it. Some parts of the park you have to take a shuttle which takes some extra time.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in dec 2014...
    We treated ourselves and paid for lunch/ dinner with an astronaut ...the dinner was a buffet and great and your seated in tables of 8/10
    Well worth the money for the experience as you can ask questions as well and get a signed photo as well
    There are various eateries around the park and there fine
    The i max cinemas are a must and the tours are enlightening especially the replica of the Saturn 5 rocket
    The space shuttle simulator ride is a absolute must
    It's a full day and I am sure u will love every minute
    We're hoping to go back again this year
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

We used to live just 15 miles away from KSC and used to go several times a year, and it has gotten so much better since then! Last visit was about three years ago. I would definitely recommend doing the general bus tour and at least one IMAX movie. And aside from the Lunch With an Astronaut experience, they have several "Astronaut Encounter" shows each day (included with admission). Get there early and do the outdoor stuff (rocket garden and astronaut memorial) and bus tour before it gets hot, then do the indoor stuff in the afternoon.

I don't recall the food being that bad, but we did used to bring food in with us sometimes. I don't think they allow that anymore.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We live an hour away and always take visitors to KSC. Each visit is interesting and rewarding. The visitor center area has been dramatically expanded and improved over the last two years. Space shuttle Atlantis is now on display in its own building, and they did an excellent job in showing off Atlantis and the shuttle program. There is a new restaurant with better food.

The bus tour is a must. They take you away from the visitor center and into the sprawling launch complex area for a narrated tour. The highlight is a stop at the Apollo display building, with a real Saturn 5 rocket suspended from the ceiling. It will take your breath away. Take the bus tour first. It takes more than two hours.

Here are our other "not to be missed" items:

Space Shuttle Atlantis (an awesome display)
    The Shuttle Launch Experience (a fairly realistic simulation of a launch)
    The Apollo moon landing presentation (located in a theater at the Saturn 5 display)
    The Astronaut Encounter (twice daily presentation by a real astronaut)
    One of the two IMAX films at the end of your day.

There is lots more to see and do depending on how much time you have. There are several attractions for kids. The Rocket Ranch is interesting to walk through.

Plan to spend a full day. It's worth it.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for this info. We will be doing this next summer!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: