Quantcast Disney Quest Closing

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Disney Quest Closing

DisneyQuest Closing At Downtown Disney

DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney will close next year to make way for the NBA Experience.

The 100,000-square-foot indoor virtual theme park and hands-on entertainment center with video and virtual games first opened in 1998 at the entertainment district's West Side.

Ed Chambers, president of the Service Trades Council coalition of Disney unions, said new jobs will be available for DisneyQuest workers.

Disney earlier this month announced it was planning a new NBA-themed attraction that will include high-tech experiences, a restaurant and a store. Downtown Disney is currently undergoing an expansion, and it will be renamed Disney Springs.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda bummed ... my son really liked it when I took him there last year and I was looking forward to taking him again. Not that I'm surprised, though, because it's seemed like it's been dead the last few times I went.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As expected when they announced the NBA Experience. Too bad they couldn't keep DQ updated, because it was like a time warp in there. That said, my son and I had a good time when we went for the first time a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another thing i wanted to do with my sweetie on his first trip to Disney. I wish Disney would concentrate on one area & complete it before closing more. The ongoing construction walls everywhere are just not appealing. I realize updates & changes are needed but I would like to go to one park without it being overwhelmed by barriers.

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised it lasted this long. They announced they were going to close it around 2007? I think; but then did not close it for some reason.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I've never set foot in there, but I know a lot of people enjoyed it. I doubt I'll check out the NBA experience, either. Not really in my interest area, lol. But I am all for anything new at WDW!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

My DD and her friend were there earlier this month and enjoyed it. That was until they wanted to go to DHS to star hunt. Some Disney channel stars were at the park. I think they spent three hours there. It looked shabby at the entrance, I didn't go in with them.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I never went inside either. I know some folks have enjoyed it a lot but have also heard a number of reports that things were dated or not in good order.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I'm a little sad about this.

I will miss it very much. It had games that reminded me of my uncle's arcade.
    For me it was like stepping back in time ... real good memories!

Besides that, it was a good option for those first those first & last "half days" of a vacation, it was a very popular option in extreme rain or when I had to wait for my driver to pick me up to get to my Florida house - it was easy to get in & out, so you could play to the last minute (almost) and then leave when it was time without much fuss. At least I always found that option easier than leaving from the 4 main theme parks.

I will give the NBA attraction an honest try of course!
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

It was really cool the first time I went, which was 1997. Lots of cutting edge technology. The idea back then, was that it was to be proving ground for new and innovative ideas that might eventually be used in other attractions in the parks. I was supposed to constantly evolve. They were even talking about opening versions of it in cities around the country (didn't they open one in Chicago for a short time?).

Unfortunately, nothing has been added or updated since then. The only notable thing to come out of DisneyQuest: the 3D shooter technology used in TSMM is a direct descendant of the Pirates of the Caribbean 3D attraction.

But it was really cool when it first opened.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there was one here in the late 90's (98?) right off Michigan Avenue, I believe. I was in 8th or 9th grade and we got a season pass, and went many times. I thought it was really cool! It was only open a year or so, though. Have never been to the one in Orlando, but could see how it would be dated if they had all the same attractions from when it opened.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me sad. We spent a lot of time in DQ and are planning to spend a lot of time in there again in September - I guess it will be our last hurrah. I don't envision needing the Waterparks and more option after this year.

IMHO - this was a missed opportunity for Disney. Universal will probably pull another day of our vacation when Nintendoland opens
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I liked DQ, but only went when it was free as part of the trip package. NBA Experience NO WAY!! will never set foot in there for that.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised that it's going away. The entry price turned a lot of people off especially since I never thought they were effective on communicating what was inside. I used to go often in it's first 5 years of operation. I loved the Alien Encounter tank game, the pirates game and I would spend hours on retro arcade.

Post Thanks / Like

We were just talking about Disney Quest yesterday in "Nightlife, Shops & Waterparks".....Not surprised it is closing. They have not updated it since it opened 15 years ago.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are going to be crushed. We are headed back in November and have two nights slotted at Quest. Wait until they hear that this is the last time they are ever going to go there. They play and DH and I get to sit and relax a bit. It is one of their favorite things at Disney. It was old and needed updating. I was surprised last time we went in May 2014 that nothing had been done to it since our first trip in 2010. What a shame. It could have been awesome if there was some upkeep and lots of updating of the games. My Jersey shore boardwalk has more updated games in their arcade. Come on Disney! You are falling way behind and not just at Quest. They could have had a great thing there if they just updated it.

Post Thanks / Like

While I am intrigued by some of what Disney Springs is about, overall I am beginning to think of it as an upscale Outlet Mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dobby2010 View Post
    Yes, there was one here in the late 90's (98?) right off Michigan Avenue, I believe. I was in 8th or 9th grade and we got a season pass, and went many times. I thought it was really cool! It was only open a year or so, though. Have never been to the one in Orlando, but could see how it would be dated if they had all the same attractions from when it opened.
    That's right, it was on Ohio just west of Michigan. We went there just once -- the game screens were lousy, the floors were sticky and it was hot and smelly. I was surprised at how un-Disney it felt, but I see how it could appeal to young teens. It was only open from 1999-2001, but it was part of a larger entertainment area on that stretch in Chicago, including the ESPN Zone and Jekyll and Hyde Club, both of which also closed.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    That's right, it was on Ohio just west of Michigan. We went there just once -- the game screens were lousy, the floors were sticky and it was hot and smelly. I was surprised at how un-Disney it felt, but I see how it could appeal to young teens. It was only open from 1999-2001, but it was part of a larger entertainment area on that stretch in Chicago, including the ESPN Zone and Jekyll and Hyde Club, both of which also closed.
    If I remember correctly they were also supposed to build one in Philadelphia, but it fell through for some reason.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    If I remember correctly they were also supposed to build one in Philadelphia, but it fell through for some reason.
    Yes. And one was announced for Toronto, I believe. They were also planning for DisneyQuest at DLR as they were designing/building DCA and Downtown Disney there.

But with the failure of the Chicago location, everything else was cancelled and the operation of DisneyQuest in WDW was transferred to theme park operations. DisneyQuest had been a separate business unit up until then.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: