Quantcast Adding names to our contract and any tax implications

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding names to our contract and any tax implications

My husband and I own two separate DVC contracts. Our children are now 20 and 24 years old and although one is still living with us (actually going to college), the other has moved out on his own and is no longer considered a part of our household. Therefore, he doesn't qualify to get any DVC discounts, such as the discounted AP. If we were to add our kids to our current DVC contracts, but continue to pay the annual dues ourselves, would this have serious tax implications for anyone? This kind of thing is WAY out of my league, as I'm a healthcare professional and someone else does my taxes. My son is working two part time jobs and not making a ton of money and as I mentioned, daughter is going to college but will need to start submitting taxes on her own due to internships worked. We would plan to give those contracts over to the kids at some point anyway once we get (quite a bit) older, but wondered if anyone had experience with this and could give any advice. Thanks!
    Wendy

"Everybody wants to be a cat. Because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at."

Upcoming trips:
    August 2018: Honeymoon trip for DD and her new husband
    September 2018: Food and Wine trip
    March 2019: Disneyland Food and Wine trip?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding them is going to cost some money. Its a real estate transaction just like buying a house. You can do it though and they would be eligible for the discounts, etc.

You'd have to check with DVC. If you're financing, they would need to apply for credit, etc I believe. Costs are not quite another set of closing costs, but they aren't trivial IMHO either.

Post Thanks / Like

We wanted to put daughter and son in law on our contracts too. Because it would have cost us around a $1000, we decided to purchase a small (25 points) resale contract in their name.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Wow....I had no idea it could cost that much to add their names. We have also considered buying an additional contract along with them, so maybe that would be the way to go. Thanks so much for the information...I knew there would be someone here who could give us the facts!
    Wendy

"Everybody wants to be a cat. Because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at."

Upcoming trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jodie is right

SMART way to get them into the system!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind though, a small contract with different owners, is a separate contract. In order to really use those points, they will need to transfer them to you (or you to that account). You are only allowed one transfer per year (coming or going) per account.

So, each year, both contracts will be used up in terms of transferring.

Again, manageable, but it's something to think about.

We sold our old contract, bought a new one that included everyone we wanted, and left it at that. Easier...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Keep in mind though, a small contract with different owners, is a separate contract. In order to really use those points, they will need to transfer them to you (or you to that account). You are only allowed one transfer per year (coming or going) per account.

So, each year, both contracts will be used up in terms of transferring.

Again, manageable, but it's something to think about.

We sold our old contract, bought a new one that included everyone we wanted, and left it at that. Easier...
    Good thought! I think we would consider an additional smaller contract with our names in addition to the kids' names to match one of the resorts/use years we already own. That would hopefully make things easier and wouldn't require any transferring.
    Wendy

Upcoming trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O'MalleytheAlleyCat View Post
    Good thought! I think we would consider an additional smaller contract with our names in addition to the kids' names to match one of the resorts/use years we already own. That would hopefully make things easier and wouldn't require any transferring.
    Still will require a transfer because all of the owners on both transactions need to match. I will use myself as an example. I bought my contract at SSR in just my name. When I added a 98 point contract at OKW, My sister and my mother purchased with me, so they are on the contract. As the owners are different, I have 2 membership numbers. We take advantage of the 1 allowed transfer and put all points in the contract that has all of our names.

We found the cost to add my sister to my first contract is not worth it.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Christine, thanks so much for that clarification. I'll have to think this through a bit more now. Hmm.....
    Wendy

Upcoming trips:

Post Thanks / Like

If the goal is to give the kids access to the DVC AP purchase (and any other DVC discounts), it's probably not worth it financially. Those discounts are nice to have, but hardly huge $$ savers.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: