Quantcast Good chill out places for kids that Meltdown

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Good chill out places for kids that Meltdown

So, we are going on a trip through an organization for handicapped children. Our little guy can have occasional "meltdowns". Can someone help with places in the parks ( AK, MK and EPcot) where we can go to give him time to recollect. Thank You

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine both used to have frequent meltdowns (autism related).

We usually would find a bench in the shade, tucked away of possible and just sit. Distractions helped quite a bit as well so we would sometimes get an ice cream or other high value treat that required a lot of concentration to eat...kind of a way to "reset" the brain.

In Epcot we would go inside innoventions or head to the jumping fountains near Imagination to play. The Seas pavilion is also good. The aquarium area is dark, cool, and quiet.

Mk is the hardest park, but we would often hop on the train. Bonus there is we could get off at Main Street if the meltdown was just not subsiding, and leave the park.

AK...can't offer much there. The park in general caused our kids to meltdown a LOT. Probably too hot, too littlr of interest to them. We used ice cream to calm them down and avoided the park in the future trips.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

My only suggestion beyond what Natalie said is the first aid buildings. They have nursing rooms and if your child is having a meltdown you could probably go into one of those as a quiet, non-exposed, non-stimulating environment. WDW is definitely a very stimulating environment so it's not always easy to find a quiet place.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to mention. Be aware of parade times and routes. There is nothing worse than needing to leave and find you are stuck until a parade passes by.
    Natalie

6. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Magic Kingdom,If the could handle the trip over to Tom Sawyer's Island, it is far less crowded than the Magic Kingdom Park and I do recall seeing some picnic benches in a shaded area that was relatively quiet and shady. Other than that, I can't really think of a lot of places in the Magic Kingdom where one could be out of the flow for a bit.

In Animal Kingdom, would one of the animal viewing trails be a possibility? There was one trail where you can see all the tree carvings that we found to be practically deserted. I think there might also be some shady areas over by the Dinosour ride if I remember correctly.

In Epcot, there is a nice garden area in the Japan pavilion that is often pretty empty of other folks. As long as there isn't a performance going on, the garden area in the United Kingdom section can often be fairly secluded.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

8. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

In addition to these tips from INTERCOTee's you may also want to review the guide at this location:

Walt Disney World and Disneyland Release Cognitive and ASD Resources

The "Need a break?" section details quite places in each park.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

10. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In MK there are rocking chairs in Liberty Square - near Hall of Presidents. Tom Sawyer Island is another good suggestion. I agree the child care centers would be helpful. There are really quiet dark areas. Have fun on your trip!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI, you will not be permitted into either First Aid or the baby care centers with a child who is in thr middle of a meltdown (screaming, crying, etc). Those spaces are indeed very quiet but they need them to remain that way. Depending on how severe your child's meltdowns are, you are better off finding a place outside, but out of the way, to deal with the actual meltdown. Then you can move onto one of the indoor low key areas mentioned.

Two years ago, while eating lunch at the Grand Floridian quick service, my son spilled his water on his brother. Brother freaks out when he gets wet, and he completely melted down. We immediately took him outside to calm down and it just would not subside. In the end, we headed back to the WL, via monorail, then ferry boat. It was a LONG trip back. He never really recovered until WELL after we had returned to our room, over an hour later. I actually started crying myself on the ferry from MK to WL...it was VERY rough. Sometimes no matter what you try, nothing works. Be prepared for that.
    Natalie

13. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MK try Tomorrowland Terrace. It's almost always closed and very quiet with a bathroom right there if necessary.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

15. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention. Be aware of parade times and routes. There is nothing worse than needing to leave and find you are stuck until a parade passes by.
    Truth!! BTDT.
    Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    In the Magic Kingdom,If the could handle the trip over to Tom Sawyer's Island, it is far less crowded than the Magic Kingdom Park and I do recall seeing some picnic benches in a shaded area that was relatively quiet and shady. Other than that, I can't really think of a lot of places in the Magic Kingdom where one could be out of the flow for a bit.

In Animal Kingdom, would one of the animal viewing trails be a possibility? There was one trail where you can see all the tree carvings that we found to be practically deserted. I think there might also be some shady areas over by the Dinosour ride if I remember correctly.

In Epcot, there is a nice garden area in the Japan pavilion that is often pretty empty of other folks. As long as there isn't a performance going on, the garden area in the United Kingdom section can often be fairly secluded.
    Yes in AK I was going to say the animal trails are great for us. Also Rafiki's Planet Watch. My ASD son loves the "dark" rooms with the Rainforest sounds. Not only are they informative, but cool and quiet.
    There's also a little bath by Dinosaur that is often less traveled and has constructed dino bones.
    MK we find sometimes the "backway are" between Main street hub and Liberty Square is often less crowded. Sometimes the walkway between Fronteirland and Adventure land where Pecos Bill's is is calmer. Sometimes grabbing a drink and sitting at the outside tables are the best with very few people around.
    Between Tomorrow Land and Mickey's Toon town there is a walkway and NO ONE is ever on that one.
    EPCOT is awesome. In China, inside where you wait for the movie is often uncrowded and very subdued! The Terra Cotta soldier display area is nice too for few people. Canada, the garden path is nice going towards the movie waiting entrance.
    American Pavilion is spread out and often has empty spots to find.
    In Mexico go the right when you go up the steps to the Pyramid. The side entrance rarely has people in that area, and that path going down to where the 3 Caballeros are [when they are not there] are often void of people.
    Morocco, the Fez Room!
    Future World is open enough to be able to find a secluded spot about anywhere.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post

In addition to these great places - there are some definite quiet places tucked around the UK & Canada pavillions. In Canada where the garden is and on the steeper side there is the path with the stones. It is usually quiet there. Epcot has lots of tucked away spots like this especially in the World Showcase area.

As for AK...on the far side (alternate exit for Rainforest Cafe is a quieter path. There are many little paths around the tree that is a little quite also you could check out the seating area that overlooks the water area (think it was alternate seating for Flame Tree Barbecue). Seen pics of it but never been so maybe someone else could comment on this especially with the ongoing construction in the area.

MK will definitely be the hardest but like others have said just be on the lookout for a shaded bench. Tom Sawyer Island would definitely be a great idea if you could get over there. In addition to the RR remember you could always leave the park via Ferry, boat launch or monorail (could return after) and find a quiet place at one of the nearby resorts. Resort hopping is always a good idea. Lots of quiet areas at Poly.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: