Quantcast Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

Today at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced to an audience of more than 7,500 fans that Star Wars-themed lands will be coming to Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla., allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away.

Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

Ambitious plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres each, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.

Artist Concept Shows Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

“I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”

Artist Concept Shows Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

These authentic lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Shocked! Shocked I tell you!!

All kidding aside, this is exactly the shot in the arm Studios needed. 14 acre themed land? Holy cow!

Now where is my Pixar Place expansion announcement!

Post Thanks / Like

Very excited to hear this, although TBH 14 acres doesn't seem big enough. Carsland at DCA is 12 acres and it's pretty small. Both Harry Potter lands are 20 acres and THEY seem small. I am envisioning serious crowd control issues to come. They will probably have to use a timed ticket entry system. These lands are going to be SUPER popular.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I was never a Star Wars fan but now with my 6 year old son who is a Jedi in training we are ecstatic! Although we did know this was coming but to hear a little more about it-well woohoooo!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Very excited to hear this, although TBH 14 acres doesn't seem big enough. Carsland at DCA is 12 acres and it's pretty small. Both Harry Potter lands are 20 acres and THEY seem small. I am envisioning serious crowd control issues to come. They will probably have to use a timed ticket entry system. These lands are going to be SUPER popular.
    Be nice if that was themed space and not show buildings and support but like you said... Excited to hear it.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that both these new attractions are going to be like Star Tours?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that both these new attractions are going to be like Star Tours?
    I'm thinking more similar to Mission Space than Star Tours. Take the controls of the millennium falcon better not mean "make the spaceship go up and down as it goes around and around."

As for the other ride? I'm envisioning something along the lines of a Spiderman/Forbidden Journey mashup.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they wouldn't be foolish enough to replicate Mission: Space. The $100 million attraction with the five minute wait time?
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! I think this will be very well done because of the push from Universal and Harry Potter "land"!
    Now, as Tom Petty says, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I always get a kick out of concept art. I can't wait to control one of those Tie Fighters overhead.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Did they announce the Hollywood Studios name change yet?
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like it has awesome potential.
    However, the way things at WDW seem to move at the speed of snail, I wonder if I will live long enough to see it completed.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting they went with Toy Story land instead of a centralized Pixar themed area, slinky coaster looks okay but the carnival claw ride similar to tow maters at DL doesn't make one jump up and down.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

No news on a name change, but Toy Story Land was announced (two new rides plus the extra TSM track) and they also announced Pirates 5 with Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush returning.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I hope nothing has to close for this
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I hope nothing has to close for this
    Uh, a LOT of things will have to close for all these new additions.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ...they also announced Pirates 5 with Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush returning.
    I thought that had already been announced? My wife was telling me about that 6 months ago.

As far as the other announcements go, I am a Star Wars fan (not fanatic), so it is interesting but so far nothing that would make me book a WDW vacation. I think my days of getting really excited about anything sight unseen (concept art does not count) that is made by Disney are over for good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Uh, a LOT of things will have to close for all these new additions.
    I would think a lot of things will close for years while these are being built, perhaps as much as 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing that with an announcement with the potential scope of this one (and all the other pieces), that the negativity just keeps get ting piled on before the dust even settles from the announcement.

Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.
    Most of the comments seem neutral at worst and otherwise positive. I'm in a wait-and-see mode. Concept art almost always looks cool, but the finished product doesn't always live up to that hope. That's all I mean about no longer being truly excited about something "coming soon" based on concept art. I'll wait for the real deal, and am even more interested in seeing how well it is maintained after that. I have not forgotten what it was like to see the Yeti in full glory during that first year, nor what it has been like to speed through the disco Yeti dance party ever since.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: