Quantcast Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights to Close After This Year - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

They should donate it to Marceline Mo! Walt would approve!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to take my kiddos to see it this year. I've been through it several times, but my sons haven't.
    I'm glad they ending it to make progress, but I too hate to see it go completely.
    I think it would be awesome in World Showcase. Would love to see all the Countries lit up at night, with "snow" falling. That would be pretty magical!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this decision changes once the park is finished. I understand during construction it wouldn't work, but the idea of all those lights in Toy Story Land is kinda cool.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    The end of a great tradition. Hope that this year is better than ever as a final hurrah.

I'm glad that we will get to see it
    Taking attractions away seems to be Disney's newest growing tradition
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad to see this go and look forward to seeing it one last time this December.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Have never seen it! Many trips to WDW, but have never been there during the Christmas holiday season.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite holiday experiences at WDW, second only to the Candlelight Processional. Disappointed, we were going to go last Nov/Dec but ended up having to go in Jan/Feb because of scheduling, so we missed the holiday celebrations and going a 2nd time in 2015 not even remotely in our budget. Fortunately we've seen it many times, and I think somewhere I have part of it recorded, so will always have the memories.

You'd think as popular as this is, that Disney Imagineers would find some way/place to repurpose this display. Frankly, EPCOT's holiday traditions have really gone down hill, I still miss the lighted archways that used to be up and lead to the Christmas tree. Would be nice if they could somehow incorporate it into World Showcase or something.

I guess DHS must truly die before it can rise again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm holding out hope that they'll re-name it and introduce it somewhere else. I remember very clearly when The Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland was going away 'forever.' There was a huge media campaign going on and on about how you'll never see it again.

Then a couple of years later the parade came back at California Adventure with a new name - same parade.

Kind of like how they put in all the advertising about how such and such a movie is going into the vault and never will be back, - only about five years later it's re-released as a 'gold edition.' This is just my speculation, but I've seen Disney do stuff like this before - going on and on about how you need to go see it now because it's going away forever, and then re-introducing it with a slightly different name.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

We always went to see the lights the day after Thanksgiving. This is a huge disappointment and I'm getting very discouraged with the changes Disney has made in the past few years. I've been going to Disney since opening day in 1971 and now that I'm older, I guess I just don't like change. there was a period in the early 90s that had us rethinking our passes and then things improved. I'm hoping this is like then. Seems Iger and Staggs have lost Walt's vision and are just, as my DH says, greedy ^*%#_\|}.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Agreed. Move it to the Boardwalk Area!
    I was thinking Disney Springs, but the Boardwalk would work too.

Bonus, it would get people to leave the parks, in the evening, during one of the busiest times of the year.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping for a couple of evenings at the lights this fall as this is our favorite reason to go to DHS. When this goes away, I'll have 2 maybe 3 rides to go to this park for. I sure wish they woyld repurpose the lights and keep them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've haven't been yet... suggestions?!

So, I can't believe it but I have never actually seen these lights. I am definitely going to have to go this year. What suggestions do you have for me? Best times to go? Highlights? Any special things to see or do? Do you just walk around and look at them? Thanks!
    acts: "It all started with a mouse..."-Walter Elias Disney

May '15 Offsite;Dec '14 AKL; Aug '14 GF; May '14 ASM; Aug '13 CTMP; May '13 YC; Dec '12 ASM; Apr '12 AKL; Feb '12 CBR; Mar '10; 2009-1975 Too many....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acts View Post
    So, I can't believe it but I have never actually seen these lights. I am definitely going to have to go this year. What suggestions do you have for me? Best times to go? Highlights? Any special things to see or do? Do you just walk around and look at them? Thanks!
    My recommendation would be some where between 11/8 and 11/21 or 11/29 and 12/19. None of the holiday weeks for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Crowds will be through the roof on those weeks. Typically it's less busy in early December because kids are wrapping up school and it's just hard to take time out before the holidays. I know the one time we went it felt like there was no holiday season because there was maybe one full weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas. So you'll need to be on your game if you like to shop and decorate at home, but hey...who doesn't like WDW souvenirs as Christmas gifts?

On the flip side, I was probably one of the best trips we took to be able to see ALL of WDW decorated for the holidays. All Disney trips are great and lots of great stuff before and after, but it's kind of like going to WDW for the first time all over again because almost everywhere you go is decorated. Even just seeing how the different resorts decorate is fun.

With that said and with the announcement pending, it will be interesting to see if there is a push for last call on the Osbourne Lights in early December. It may draw more people that usual, but over all the parks in general are less crowded.

When we went there was a nightly lighting, but there is a short nightly kickoff with narration and music. I can't recall if they did it multiple times per night, but DHS closes by 8pm with EMH so there isn't much time between 5pm and 8pm for multiple shows. However the lights are on through closing. The show is crowded as you would expect, but it's easier to go back and wander through after.

It's an awesome sight to see for sure! Good luck if you go!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. And we're just going to miss being able to see it since we fly in on January 4.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

This is such incredibly SAD and disappointing news. The Obborne lights were indeed a spectacle. They inspired awe in the child in us all. Surely there is enough land in WDW to keep the light show. Disney World will no longer draw me at Christmas.
    : (

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by acts View Post
    Try to get there a little before the lights will be turned on. There is a lot of detail to take in throughout the whole area. There is also the cat and Hidden Mickey's to look for. Every 10 minutes or something like that the lights dance to music. There are also food and drink vendors and snow falls. Last time we were there a few years ago there was an area to take pics with Santa Goofy. We usually spend an hour and a half to two hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I did finally get to see it. this yr we were going to go somewhere else, (disneyland,hollywood) but the last yr of the lights announcement sorta made us decide to go back to WDW. she has never seen the lights or decor for Christmas. so going the first wk of November
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Bummer. And we're just going to miss being able to see it since we fly in on January 4.
    Looks like you'll get a chance to see this! Osborne Lights extended.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: