Quantcast Tips for visiting Sicily

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for visiting Sicily

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sicily next June for our 10 year anniversary. Does anyone have any tips on where to stay, what airport to fly into, what sites to visit, etc.?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there...such a beautiful place. Went to Italy for two weeks and stayed in Venice, Rome, Sorrento, and Taraomina. My mother planned the trip (they go every year) so I can't remember the name of the hotel. I am leaving for vacation in a couple of days but when I get back I will pull out my scrap book and give you the exact names of places we went and where we stayed. We were mainly in Sicily to to visit family but we did do the sights also.

I have to let you know that out of the four stops we made Sicily had the best food! But it was also the most laid back stop of the trip. Venice and Rome had so much to do, we were non stop. Sorrento had great food and we used that as a home base for Pompeii. If you are going to Italy for the first time I suggest adding one of the more popular cities to your trip....if you want to get in a lot of history.

If you are a big "Godfather" fan make sure you check out the train station. It was actually filmed on location and still looks the same.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help! We have been to Rome, Florence and Venice. This time we are looking to do more of the southern part of Italy.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Look into visiting a town called Caltagirone. It is on the northeastern side of the island. It's a beautiful town filled with artisans. Another recommendation is Enna. It is inland and sits atop of a mountain. Great town to walk around. Palermo to me was just 'meh'. Siracusa has great Ancient Greek influences including some ruins. Sicily was conquered by the ancient Greeks and left many influences. Messina is a nice seaside town where you can see mainland Italy (the toe of the boot) across the channel. As another poster said, Taormina is one of the prettiest towns you will ever see. We also stopped at an Italian deli, grabbed a loaf of bread, provolone and some salami and dove up to Mt. Etna and ate lunch. Great way to spend an afternoon. Good luck. You will love it.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC