Quantcast PBS American Experience 4 hour Walt Disney edition

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default PBS American Experience 4 hour Walt Disney edition

What did you think of the show?

If asked a few months ago if I thought Walt Disney would be happy with the direction his parks have gone, I would have said no.

After watching the program, now I am inclined to say yes.

Not that it is a bad thing but just judged on the way he ran the business and made decisions, I think he would be extremely happy with the empire he has built. And he could stay home and play with his trains. Lol. Glad he found a hobby that made him so happy.

I was surprised that it was such a short time period so many projects leading up to the opening of WDW. So many movies and projects that were all very different.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I taped it and managed to watch about 20 minutes of the 2nd episode. I knew getting Disneyland open was chaotic, but didn't fully realize how much he pushed to get that open on the promised date.

Not sure when I'll see all of it, but from what little I did see, looks to be good.

Post Thanks / Like

This was released today from the Walt Disney Family Museum (founded by Walt's daughter):

WGBH’s American Experience: Walt Disney, which aired on PBS this week, was created independently of The Walt Disney Family Museum. The museum promotes the examination of Walt Disney’s life and legacy and is encouraged at the ongoing interest in this incredible icon of the 20th century. However, the museum only supports examinations of Walt’s life that are based on fact, not on extrapolation, interpretation, or ex post facto psychologizing, and further which take into account, as all reputable and responsible biographical reviews do, historical context.
    The American Experience program reminds us that part of the impetus for Diane Disney Miller's founding of The Walt Disney Family Museum was to respond to biographers and historians more eager to interpret Walt than to discover him. Her goal was to open the personal story of her father's life for the global community to read and experience--so that we can all find answers to questions about the man through the wealth of personal artifacts and primary sources on display. Diane said the museum was her book, and it is clearly as relevant and necessary a book today as it was when she founded it six years ago.
    One of the museum's early blogs was entitled, In Defense of Walt, and it seems an appropriate time to make this available once more: http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/defense-walt-disney
    We welcome you to visit The Walt Disney Family Museum to learn more about Walt, the man. And through his story, we hope you will feel inspired to heed your own imagination and persevere in pursuing your goals.
    If you have watched American Experience: Walt Disney, we’d love to hear what YOU think. ‪#‎WaltDisneyPBS‬
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    I just wanted to let others know you can watch this on PBS online and as of today it is available (no charge). I don't have cable just internet, Netflix and Amazon so not even local channels. So I sometimes have to be creative to watch shows or be very patient.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised by that comment from the Museum. The special talked about some of the not so pleasant things about Walt, not all hearts and flowers. People's actions throughout history will, and I think should, be analyzed and discussed. Just because they pointed out some of the controversial things does not mean he is seen as any less of a visionary. Sometimes his refusal to compromise or listen to advice brought about great things; sometimes it was damaging to the company.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to the Walt Disney Family museum. They absolutely do not "gloss over" the darker side of Walt in there. I have not yet watched the whole show but none of the first half of episode one was news to me.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I've been to the Walt Disney Family museum. They absolutely do not "gloss over" the darker side of Walt in there. I have not yet watched the whole show but none of the first half of episode one was news to me.
    I have not had a chance to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum yet (I am overdue for another trip to San Francisco!). If that's the case, Natalie, than I am even more perplexed by their statement. I don't understand why they seem to take issue with the special?
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I have not had a chance to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum yet (I am overdue for another trip to San Francisco!). If that's the case, Natalie, than I am even more perplexed by their statement. I don't understand why they seem to take issue with the special?
    I haven't seen the whole special yet. But I haven't read any biographies of Walt either and I learned about his problems with his workers and the McCarthy hearings AT the museum. There is a whole room dedicated to that part of his life. There is also mention of his brusque qualities as a boss. However, there is a LOT more about his family life as a husband and father and there is no doubt in my mind that he was nothing short of wonderful in both those roles, based on the content of the exhibits.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I haven't seen the whole special yet. But I haven't read any biographies of Walt either and I learned about his problems with his workers and the McCarthy hearings AT the museum. There is a whole room dedicated to that part of his life. There is also mention of his brusque qualities as a boss. However, there is a LOT more about his family life as a husband and father and there is no doubt in my mind that he was nothing short of wonderful in both those roles, based on the content of the exhibits.
    I will be interested to hear your thoughts after watching part 2. As a few people said in the discussion about the special in Mousellaneous, the documentary does gives a good view of ALL facets of Walt.
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I think this PBS has left me with a greater respect for Walt than ever before. He had many problems, he was not loved by all, things didn't always go his way, he had a huge ego, he had bouts of depression, he could be mean and he left this world years too soon because of smoking. He was a human with flaws. But look at all he left for us.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I think this PBS has left me with a greater respect for Walt than ever before. He had many problems, he was not loved by all, things didn't always go his way, he had a huge ego, he had bouts of depression, he could be mean and he left this world years too soon because of smoking. He was a human with flaws. But look at all he left for us.
    Well put!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was wonderful. They did an excellent job weighing both the positive and the negative aspects, all of which I knew before from the biographies I have read. If you are doing a fair biography you can't just sweep the anti union and Communism hunting under the rug. It was well done and held my attention all 4 hours.

Poor Roy though! Walt had all these ideas and he basically told Roy to go find the money!

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked seeing and hearing from Ron Miller again. It had been a long time and the way he was treated by Roy E. Disney and his cronies always bothered me.

15. Likes GMRO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed it too. The dynamics between Walt and Roy remind me a lot of my dad and his older brother. My dad was the young kid with an eye out for adventure and his older brother was always looking out for him too.

I don't mind seeing all the sides of Walk, admirable and not-so-admirable. He was a human with flaws and a product of his time, as are all of us. On the subject of the Disney Company in recent times, there is nothing I've hated more than than the catch-phrase "What Would Walt Do?" He was not a god, he was a entrepeneur and businessman. If he had been alive today, he would have been called on the carpet the same as any other CEO if he didn't produce results for the company and its shareholders. That doesn't take anything away from his creativity and vision, not to mention obviously being a caring father and husband in his personal life.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

17. Likes GMRO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beth I appreciate your reply. I think many people hold him up on a pedestal and forget he was a talented man, but a man out to make money from a business he loved. He was not a God and not all of his employees loved him, not unlike many business owners today who are called dishonest and greedy. You can love the product and not like the man.

He wasn't always an honest person either. When we were in Jackson Hole we took a scenic ride down the Snake River. Here is the shorten version on the story told to us. Walt was doing a segment on otters in the Snake River for his weekly TV show. The crew was there to film the otters and couldn't find any in the river so they purchased , released, and filmed the otters for the show as if they were naturally living in the river. When they were done filming they left the otters in the river.

I believe that's how he ran his company. He did what he had to do to get the result he wanted.....right or wrong.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

19. Likes GMRO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Beth I appreciate your reply. I think many people hold him up on a pedestal and forget he was a talented man, but a man out to make money from a business he loved. He was not a God and not all of his employees loved him, not unlike many business owners today who are called dishonest and greedy. You can love the product and not like the man.

He wasn't always an honest person either. When we were in Jackson Hole we took a scenic ride down the Snake River. Here is the shorten version on the story told to us. Walt was doing a segment on otters in the Snake River for his weekly TV show. The crew was there to film the otters and couldn't find any in the river so they purchased , released, and filmed the otters for the show as if they were naturally living in the river. When they were done filming they left the otters in the river.

I believe that's how he ran his company. He did what he had to do to get the result he wanted.....right or wrong.
    Rita, that doesn't surprise me. Although I am surprised we didn't hear that story on our tour down the Snake River.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

21. Thanks GMRO thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: