Quantcast Muppet TV Show a disaster?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Muppet TV Show a disaster?

Just before the kids bedtime, the DW was trying to find a quick show we could all watch before the kids had to go to bed. She had dvr'd the first Muppet show so decided to watch that.

No kidding, I think we watched less than 15 minutes and all 5 of us said, stop it, delete it, this isn't remotely funny.

At one point in the first 15 minutes I looked at my wife and and said, "did Kermit just say he**?

Besides simply just not being funny, the voices just seemed really off and this kind of mocumentary format just didn't work.

Did it get better in the second episode, because at this point I have no intention of ever watching it again. I thought it was simply

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the second show, and thought it was just me. After all, it's the Muppets, it should be good. I thought it was not good at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same thing about the curse word. My 17 YO daughter warned us before we watched the first episode: this is not going to be like you remembered it as a kid. She said she had read it was a more adult version of the Muppets. Stupid concept. We haven't watched another.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I watched the first one and while I didn't hate it was not what I was expecting from the Muppets and I haven't watched again.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, in the first 15 minutes of the first show I think I heard:

Miss Piggy has made my life a bacon wrapped he**

Zoot from the band stands up to say "Hi - I'm Zoot and I'm a ..." and then its cut-off, but the laugh they were going for was that he was in some kind of recovery program.

Fozzy Bear getting upset about the stereotype of "does a bear cra# in the woods?"

And this was just in the first 10-15 minutes. But, on the ride in to work this morning, the radio announcer on whatever topic he was on, mentions the show and says, not your 4 year-old Sesame Street show you might think it is, more at the teenage level and thought it was good.

I have no desire to see it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. These are not the Muppets I know and love. I've watched both episodes, and both times I think I laughed maybe once. Maybe. It just seems like they're trying too hard to make it more of an "adult" show, but it comes off as a little desperate and cheap, so to speak. The Muppets have never had to resort to crass, off-color, inappropriate jokes to appeal to wide audiences of all ages before. I'm not sure why they think they need to do that now. And, yeah, the voices...they're so off it's distracting. Really disappointing overall. And I've loved the Muppets for 35 years!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muppets

I watched some of it. The only line that I thought was funny was from the Swedish Chef when Miss Piggy was getting a hot rock massage and he says that he smells bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched about 10 minutes of it and changed channels.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We think it's kinda funny. Definitely adult, and I think ABC did a poor job of conveying that in all of its marketing before the show started. We thought our kids would like to watch it. They didn't want to come down the first night so we watched it without them and were glad!

I do know that Jim Henson always wanted the Muppets to be in more "adult situations" but that isn't how they ended up becoming popular. What I do find very weird is the combination of Muppets and real people. Just odd.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think the format and adult nature is exactly what I thought it would be. It's set up to be like The Office, where the characters are in an adult work setting. I actually wasn't surprised at all.

It's not quite as funny as I thought it would be, but we like it. We'll continue watching it.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely an "edgier" Muppet than we have seen in the past...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

We have really enjoyed the show so far, I seem to be in the minority here. We haven't laughed that hard at a sitcom since Parks and Rec!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

The second episode was better than the first. Hopefully next week's will be better. Was Seinfeld a winner right out of the box?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    The second episode was better than the first. Hopefully next week's will be better. Was Seinfeld a winner right out of the box?
    Nope, and Cheers has the distinction of maybe still being the only show to debut dead last in the ratings and yet still achieve #1 status.

Problem is, with those two shows, and both were my favorites at the time, I had no preconception of what they'd bring.

Right or wrong, its hard not to have a preconception of what you are going to see when you turn on a show titled "The Muppets".

What's next in episode 3, Gonzo's nose turns upwards when he meets a girl? Beeker discusses his erectile dysfunction? Animal has flatulance?

I don't mind adult humor, infact I love humor that makes you think a bit in order to get it. I just didn't expect to see that with the Muppets.

That said, even with it being adult oriented, I just found it totally not funny at all. I thought 99% of what they were doing just fell flat. Then again, I couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes.

I don't know if he's a reoccuring character, I don't really intend to watch more to find out, buy Fozzy's girlfriends dad, last time I saw him he was swearing up a storm in Justified, so had some difficulty seeing him in a Muppet show.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched both episodes, and at the end of the second one I told my husband that the show will not make it much longer.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    We have really enjoyed the show so far, I seem to be in the minority here. We haven't laughed that hard at a sitcom since Parks and Rec!
    I'm with you! I'm really surprised at all the hate. Other than the h-e- double hockey sticks, I think most of the "adult" jokes will go right over kids' heads. And, hate to break it to you all, but the Muppets of the 70s weren't always as innocent as your nostalgia would lead you to believe. Most people who have been around these boards for a while probably know i'm something of a Muppet fanatic. I have seen every single episode of the Muppet Show, some quite a few times. Youtube Miss Piggy and Rudolf Nureyev singing Baby it's Cold Outside and tell me how family friendly that is. I could give you plenty more examples. Jim Henson loved adult humor. The one thing I will agree with is that I could see the humor being totally lost on kids, not necessarily in that it is not kid-friendly, more so that it's just not "kid" humor. I also think you have to like the talking head/mockumentary format, which we do. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and so are all of the Muppet fans I know (granted- none of them are watching with families).
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Also not sure why people feel the voices are really off, unless you haven't watched any recent Muppet productions. They are the same voices from the recent two movies not to mention quite a few TV productions. It was hard for me to get used to them at first, but now I am.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I'm with you! I'm really surprised at all the hate. Other than the h-e- double hockey sticks, I think most of the "adult" jokes will go right over kids' heads. And, hate to break it to you all, but the Muppets of the 70s weren't always as innocent as your nostalgia would lead you to believe. Most people who have been around these boards for a while probably know i'm something of a Muppet fanatic. I have seen every single episode of the Muppet Show, some quite a few times. Youtube Miss Piggy and Rudolf Nureyev singing Baby it's Cold Outside and tell me how family friendly that is. I could give you plenty more examples. Jim Henson loved adult humor. The one thing I will agree with is that I could see the humor being totally lost on kids, not necessarily in that it is not kid-friendly, more so that it's just not "kid" humor. I also think you have to like the talking head/mockumentary format, which we do. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and so are all of the Muppet fans I know (granted- none of them are watching with families).
    I think the two of you hit on what my problem with the show is. The adult humor didn't bother me but I feel like I could be watching Park & Rec or the Office or any other similar show but just with Muppets. So it doesn't have anything making me say "I must watch this. " Which I suppose is strange because I loved the promos for the show. We are recording the episodes so maybe I'll give it another try.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

As 2 old folks we enjoy this version of the Muppets. I completely agree with Marianne, the old TV show was not as innocent as a lot of you remember it.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I've been giving this a lot of thought since last night because I was so surprised at the comments, but with the new morning I think I can understand the disappointment a tad more. I am quick to defend it not because I'm a fan girl (I don't like a few of the what I call in between movies like Muppets From Space, Muppet Wizard of Oz etc) but because I really do think it's a good show thus far. But yes, it's a different kind of humor than what we are used to from them. I think people are missing the slapstick element. The jokes have been mostly verbal, not visual. The old show had a better mix. While the adults may enjoy The guest stars and musical numbers, kids could get a kick out of Gonzo attempting another stunt, Marvin Suggs banging his mallet on his muppephone heads etc. so far the new show doesn't have that. I appreciate things like Uncle Deadly being in charge of wardrobe and Lipps finally getting a line but that kind of stuff is lost on a general audience. I do hope in the future we get to see more musical numbers. One last thought I will leave you with is that Frank Oz (who hasn't been involved with The Muppets in over a decade) hated the Jason Segal movie because it was too over the top with the warm-and-fuzzy. I liked the movie, but I think it provides an interesting perspective.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: