Quantcast Magic, Mayhem, Wifi and more; Our Return to Disney --Day Two

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic, Mayhem, Wifi and more; Our Return to Disney --Day Two

Cast:

Me (Husband) - 54
    DW - 42
    DD - 12
    DS - 5

"Too Much Disney!"

More than six months earlier, I knew this was going to be a "relax" day. It had to be. My plan had us going dawn to dusk for 48 straight hours. We would need a break.

My plan was: sleep in. swim at pool. Hoop De Doo. Back to resort for early night. Too bad I didn't follow that!

I fight against my urges and do not set the alarm. Instead, I awake around 8 a.m., check on my crew (I own a small (very small) construction company,) shower and grab coffees. When I return, DW is readying herself, but doesn't allow me to awaken the kids.

"They need their sleep. You're killing them!"

We finally arrive at the Riverside Mill Food Court just before breakfast is finished. The courtyard is packed and we have a hard time finding a table. Each of us finds something to our liking. (The selection here is very good.) Clean table off and head to the pool. It's not sweltering yet and there's a few lounge chairs still available. DW finds a spot, but the feng shui is off so she continues to scout until she finds the perfect place to camp out. This is our place for the day.

Old Man Island swimming pool is fantastic. It's large. It's fun. There are games for the kids. (Despite knowing many of the answers, neither decide to play.)They are too busy having a blast. DS, who gets aggravated if even a drop of water hits him on Mickey's Philharmagic, can't get enough water on him in the pool. He refuses to exit, except for bathroom breaks. At 5, he can swim (just barely,) and he is a daredevil. He sometimes has a life vest on; sometimes does not. Either way, I am never more than 2 feet away. This is DW's time to relax. I'll watch kids.

Like me, he cannot regulate his body temperature and despite the water being quite comfortable, both he and I shiver continuously -- mostly him though. Nonetheless, the smiles and giggles are relentless. He is exuberant in the water.

A waitress takes our order for lunch and I am surprised how good the pool-side food is. My sandwich was delicious. I have Cajun Turkey Club. Kids get Ham & Cheese. DW has a salad. Rave reviews from all, especially since it was brought to our chairs.

I have to say, to this point of the trip, I am LOVING THE MAGIC BAND. Being able to come to the pool, without a wallet, money, keys, and still have everything with me on the band is truly liberating. Our waitress has a portable device, which allows me to pay (and tip) right at the pool. Nice!

Around 2:30 p.m., we head back for a slight break. Not too long. We have 6:15 at Hoop De Doo Review. We arrive at the bus stop around 4:30 and there's still a large crowd. To this point, bus stops have been crowded in mornings, evenings, and now mid-day. No light times yet. When the bus pulls up to the Magic Kingdom, the front vista is jam packed. We need to take the boat to Fort Wilderness, but the dock is packed, too. One boat leaves and we are pretty far back for the second. I look at my watch and realize if we don't make the next boat, we will miss start of show. The CM is counting aloud and we make it with about 15 more passengers to spare. Whew!!!!

Quick stop at Wilderness Lodge, then on to FW. It's SRO once again! We are the last group to check in. Get in line, and the dinner bell rings. So far, so good.

Our seats are terrific, just one table back from the stage. New cast, old jokes, but still same great time. It's slightly different than three years ago, but mostly the same. Last trip, my DS, then 2, had a crush on Clair de Lune. A CM arranged for her to come to our table and make my DS's day. New Clair this time. (Previous Clair is now a Streetmosphere Player.) He's not interested. Jilted.

For the first time that I can remember, I'm not impressed with the fried chicken. It usually is a high point for me. This time, it tastes a bit stale, or something. Beans are great, as are the ribs. I concentrate on them. DW eats the salad, which is much lighter on the dressing than before. Not liking that much, either.

Lackluster chicken and all, it's still a great time. It's a long wait at the dock to return to Magic Kingdom. While in line, i make the mistake of saying:

"Magic Kingdom is open late tonight. There's a special parade. I took a chance and made Fastpasses in case we were up to it."

DD wants to go; DW does not. Against my better judgment, we go. Big mistake. We arrive just as the Main Street Electrical Parade is departing Town Square. It is a sea of people. Movement is nearly impossible. They open an access way BEHIND the buildings. (When did this happen?) It dumps us out near the now-closed Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and we have active FPs for Buzz Lightyear.

DW has a look on her face of dismay. After ride, I inform them, I also have FPs (active now) for Haunted Mansion. DW says she and DS will wait for us in Emporium. En Route, fireworks start. Nearly impossible to get to attraction. When we exit, DW leaves text she's sitting in corner of store, waiting. She's had enough.

When we find them, they are sitting under the shirts on an endcap. Exhaustion and exasperation on both faces. I carry DS to bus stop. Ridiculous line, but FOUR buses pull up for Riverside. For some reason, two gates were for our resort. One bus fills up, then leaves. Another pulls right in, with a bus double-parked beside that one. A new hinged bus pulls up behind the first bus so there are essentially three buses loading. We get on one of them and head home.

Four tired individuals, silent for the entire trip back, slump into our room around midnight.

Wife finally says, "Disney's lost what's made it special to me; making me feel important. Today, I felt like cattle. Who cares about the experience anymore? Just get as many in the gates as you can."

Then, more disaster:

"Where's my phone? Please, call it."

Straight to voicemail. She's lost her Blackberry smartphone, used primarily for work, somewhere between the Emporium and our room. Not a good end to the day!

Aww, shucks!!!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2. Likes Poohmomnks liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It started as such a wonderful day - sorry the end proved disappointing!! Hope the phone is found!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I've been left at the edge of my seat!!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day Two

Here is a shout out for Mrs. Peetrie for hanging in there with such a not so magical ending to the day and for coming up with the best line I have never heard in a Disney trip report - " You're killing them".....LOL
    * 2003 - Beach Club
    * 2004 - Downtown Disney
    * 2004 - ASS
    * 2005 - ASS
    * 2006 - Disneyland
    * 2008 - CSR
    * 2009 - CSR
    * 2010 - Beach Club
    * 2012 - CSR - (2)
    * 2013 - POP
    * 2013 - ASM
    * 2014 - Pop (2)
    * 2015 - CSR
    * 2017 - POP
    * 2019 - POP
    * 2020 - POP
    * 2021 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDadfromPittsburgh View Post
    Here is a shout out for Mrs. Peetrie for hanging in there with such a not so magical ending to the day and for coming up with the best line I have never heard in a Disney trip report - " You're killing them".....LOL
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I remember last trip's DS Clare crush! Great that the entertainment was pleasing but sad to hear the food was not up to par.

When we were last at Disney as a full family in 2011 we were moved to the exit on several occasions behind the scenes where you mentioned.

I am bummed that your evening ended in such a way. I hope that Day 3 finds everyone in better spirits ... And that your DW's phone shows up!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I know they're trying to move people out quick at the end of the night but I hate that they let us into the backstage areas. I just think it's one thing that Walt would absolutely be appalled by! Well, that and the bus system- I think he would have had monorails all the way!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!