Quantcast WDW Marathon Jan 7 - 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Talking WDW Marathon Jan 7 - 12

The cast:
    Myself
    Best friend (both running marathon)
    Cousin (for a portion)
    Cousin's husband (for a portion)

Thurs. Jan 7
    We knew that if we were going to get to the WWoS Expo by 7pm after arriving at MCO at 5pm we were going to have to boot it. Luckily our luggage was on the belt as soon as we arrived and we caught a cab straight to the expo. We had a few strange looks wheeling luggage around but we got our bib and shirts. The Expo was pretty busy. We decided to forego any shopping in part because the CAD$ is so low right now in comparison to the USD$. Bus back to Dolphin. No prob with luggage which I was a bit concerned about.

Checked-in to Dolphin. Was pretty quick. I was antsy to get over to Epcot which we did after a quick change from our airplane attire.

Got to Epcot. We were able to get on Spaceship Earth. Was friend's first time in WDW. We had been to Disneyland Paris previously and that was his only Disney trip. We were also able to get a cronut. From there, we enjoy Illuminations. We have a refreshment at R&C. Then Head to Beaches & Cream for a burger and ice cream.

Crash. It's been a full day of traveling.

Fri. Jan 8
    Today was the full one! We get to MK for EMH and try to get in what we can. It's pouring. But that doesn't stop us. We get in Peter Pan first. Then Space. Thunder Mtn. Then Splash before it goes under refurb tomorrow. Jungle Cruise (it's now really pouring). Hall of Presidents (I had never done it; friend wants to). Tomorrowland Transit. Then Philharmagic (a favourite of mine).

We end up taking the monorail to Kona for lunch. Then bus back to the resort for some quick pool time.

Then we head to DHS where we had fastpasses booked. Here we are able to get in the big 3: Tower, TSMM, and RnR via single rider line. I hadn't done the new Star Tours yet so we get that in too. Then Fantasmic. haha, my friend HATES it and finds it super random. I guess not everything is for everyone.

Friendship back to Dolphin. Another day done.

Sat. Jan 9
    There was a chance we would be doing the half today. But we didn't do it. We were registered in the Goofy. Sadly we were undertrained.

The plan was to meet my cousins who live in FL today and they weren't too interested in parks. SO. We head to AK for EMH and get in what we can before we meet them. We have a breakfast sandwich in Africa. Then hit the Kil. Safari. Initially we had a Everest FP+ booked but it's down. We ride. Hit Bugs Life 3D. Then have to deal with a FP+ glitch at Guest Relations (my FP+ for Everest was used instead of for safari sine Everest one became an "anything fastpass"). Doesn't look like Everest will be up in time so we head toward Dinosaur. But it's up. Good thing we cleared the FP+ We ride and then get Dinosaur in too.

Meet my cousins and we head in to Orlando proper for a bit of the day for lunch and a walk around the lake. They come back and we head to DS; it's packed and pouring! We try a few places but end up only being able to get Bongos. It was just fine. Festive and fun even. Back to Dolphin and early to bed. Next day is the big morning and 26.2 magical miles.

Bit of organizing to make sure everything is set for the next day.

Sun. Jan 10
    Today, we wake up early. Really early. We need to be on the bus by 4am which is 2am local time (not that we hadn't adjusted by now). We initially went to our usual bus stop but are the only ones there. Actual bus stop is at valet. And there are a ton of people. In fact 4 busfuls before us. Buses start coming faster and we are just fine.

We get to Epcot parking lot to a sea of people! None of us have any bag checks. So we head straight to our corral. It's my first marathon so I'm pretty nervous. But feeling good. We take some pics. I'm in Corral G with my cousin. My friend is way faster and in Corral C.

Run starts and I'm feeling great! We get to MK and it's SUPER magical. Elsa says hi buddy to me. I actually keep feeling great the whole first half up until AK. We run the whole time. And things are good. So many unique behind the scenes views and amazing volunteers. AT AK I have to do some run/walking which is no surprise based on the amount of training I've done. We get photos with the Snow White witch, grave diggers, Mickey. I also use biofreeze for the first time. High fiving fans really keeps me going. And I finish. 5:15.28. I'll take it for my first one. Especially when it's really hard to train in brutal winter. Weather is perfect! So I'm thrilled.

Cousins take us into Orlando for lunch after we stick around for some of the celebrations in the Epcot parking lot. They leave.

We head back into Epcot. But our bodies have us moving way slower. We opt for a Friendship there rather than walking.

We end up doing Energy Adventure, Mission to Mars, and Test Track (I hadn't done this version yet). We then have a few refreshments and some food around WS. We enjoy wandering the shops. It's pretty cold and dark but we're not complaining too bad. End up having CS dinner in Japan while making our way from Mexico to Canada. We then do O Canada circlevison and have a bevvie at R&C. It's still hopping a bit from runners.

Mon. Jan 11
    We decide to rent a car and get to Tampa. I'm the disney fan of our duo and want to get him elsewhere to explore too. We tour the Yeungling factory (free!), then see Ybor City and have lunch, we do a bit of the River Walk and see some of the city. A day wandering really which is good. We're still pretty stiff but not too sore. So life could be worse.

Monday night we have ressies at California Grill. We enjoy a celebratory meal. Then hit Wave for a bit. Transportation closes so we Uber back to Dolphin.

Tues Jan 12

One last morning. We have ressies for BoG at 8:50 so we wake up and do that. It's so-so. I think I had it hyped up in my mind. But it's so overrun with people. The food is just fine. But I had built up the atmosphere a bit. We use a FP+ for 7DMT and it's also so-so. Maybe we're just at our threshold. Wander out the park and decide to monorail to Epcot to walk back. I end up doing the Land in Epcot but friend hits Dolphin pool. I join at the pool and we have a good few hours of sun before heading back to winter.

Get to MCO midafternoon. We meet some other runners from our city and fly back home.

Was an amazing first marathon and trip! Fit in lots! And was great to be back. My 4th time at WDW (all as an adult, haha). Now hooked on running.
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you enjoyed your trip and congrats on your first marathon!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the Marathon!! Sounds like it was a really fun trip!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

What a great trip! (And I'm glad your first race was a success too!)
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: