Quantcast Upgrading to fancier Magic Bands

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrading to fancier Magic Bands

I now there really cool ones out there. Is it worth the extra cost?

Is it better to get it there with the variety of choices or order somewhere online directly or third party trinkets?

Just wondering what everyone thought is with this.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't justify the cost of a "pretty" Magic Band, especially since we only go once a year. If we were in the parks all of the time, then maybe.

So, we buy "stickers" from a third-party site, and they jazz up the MB quite nicely, for only $5 a band. Much better price, and we still get something a bit different.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

4. Likes DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
    I now there really cool ones out there. Is it worth the extra cost?

Is it better to get it there with the variety of choices or order somewhere online directly or third party trinkets?

Just wondering what everyone thought is with this.
    How often do you go?

I can safely say that my family is okay with the ones that Disney sends you for free. But the third party accessories can be inexpensive. A lot of the MB add ons fall off so beware! You can collect all of the colors if you go often!

Post Thanks / Like

This question to me doesn't really fit in the "is it worth it" category. Is it worth it to do the dining plan or refillable mugs? We would have something more to talk about. The decorative band- "is it worth it" question is a little more difficult. Is it necessary, no. None of the magic bands are. Can you use it outside WDW? Not really. You could, but you might get some looks.

It really is a matter of personal opinion. My husband loves Toy Story and liked the Buzz and Woody one, so for his birthday I got it for him from the online Disney Store when they were having a free shipping deal.

He likes it. It doesn't expire, so you can use it on future trips. I also had no problem linking it to our MDE account (instructions came with it). Another thing to consider, is that MK in the shop next to Space Mountain and also at Disney Springs at the Coop, you can get custom Magic Bands made. You choose the color of the band and the design and you can even get your name printed on the outside.

Some cost much more than others - like the limited edition ones, but it really is just a matter of what you want to spend your money on. Some people like to buy T-shirts with the year on them or coffee mugs or Disney Hats or Mickey Ears or pins or whatever. You choose how you want to spend your money, so if you want a more decorative band, go for it!

If it is worth it to you, it's worth it.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    This question to me doesn't really fit in the "is it worth it" category. Is it worth it to do the dining plan or refillable mugs? We would have something more to talk about. The decorative band- "is it worth it" question is a little more difficult. Is it necessary, no. None of the magic bands are. Can you use it outside WDW? Not really. You could, but you might get some looks.

It really is a matter of personal opinion. My husband loves Toy Story and liked the Buzz and Woody one, so for his birthday I got it for him from the online Disney Store when they were having a free shipping deal.

He likes it. It doesn't expire, so you can use it on future trips. I also had no problem linking it to our MDE account (instructions came with it). Another thing to consider, is that MK in the shop next to Space Mountain and also at Disney Springs at the Coop, you can get custom Magic Bands made. You choose the color of the band and the design and you can even get your name printed on the outside.

Some cost much more than others - like the limited edition ones, but it really is just a matter of what you want to spend your money on. Some people like to buy T-shirts with the year on them or coffee mugs or Disney Hats or Mickey Ears or pins or whatever. You choose how you want to spend your money, so if you want a more decorative band, go for it!

If it is worth it to you, it's worth it.
    That's true. To me I like the fancy more personal touch stuff but you're right. The worth of something is to each is own. It's a nice to have but not necessary. I ask the question is to see other perspectives. It's seems stupid but hey I'm open to seeing why they make these fancier ones at specialty fancy stores to have them.

Come to think of it. I guess it's like not understanding why people buy fancy custom ornaments that you have on a tree... it's just an ornament.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not stupid at all.

I think you may find a number of folks who would say not worth it for the decorated magic bands, but truly, for me I don't own a pair of Mickey Ears. They aren't worth it for me.

If you aren't sure, choose your color and get the ones they provide with your vacation package (you'll get those anyway) - and make the decision on a fancy once you get there - the cast member will link it up for you when you purchase it. I believe you will see more people with the solid ones than decorated ones in the parks, and it might not be as big a deal to you then.

You are going to have a great time. Your trip is coming up soon, right? Like this month?
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing. If you are flying in to MCO and using the Magical Express, you will want to have your magic band close. They will scan it at the check in area.

I did not know this the first time and had to dig through my things so they could scan it.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Another thing. If you are flying in to MCO and using the Magical Express, you will want to have your magic band close. They will scan it at the check in area.

I did not know this the first time and had to dig through my things so they could scan it.
    It may help to have the MB but it is not required. International customers do not get MBs mailed to us. All that's actually needed is the confirmation email.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't worth it to me, however I bought them for the kids. I never know what to get my cousins' kids for christmas and we have a trip at the end of February so I got them each a magicband. I am just using the plain one from Disney for myself.
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the band on my wrist, so for me, the answer would be no. Mine gets wrapped around my purse strap. I'd say wear the non fancy one a day or two before you spend the extra money, as you just might end up not like it and not wearing it.
    Last edited by Imalismom; 02-06-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's insight. Great perspectives. Definitely good points and if I may add I may need to see if they even will wear it the entire time before dropping money that is going to be hidden in our bag. Probably they should come out with magic necklace or magic ring or earrings.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

To me it's not worth it even though I'm local and a passholder.

The magic band is nothing more than the old KTTW card (or in my case, my AP card) but now it's on your wrist. I wouldn't pay an extra $20 (or whatever the fancy ones are) to have a prettier AP card so there's no reason I would do it for a magic band.

Of course there are lots of things other people gladly spend money on that I wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that makes it not worth it to me is that the battery runs out. I am not sure how long they last but I have been told a year and a half or so. I have 4 different colors for each of our family members. I am not sure if they will work on our upcoming trip because of this. I will continue to get the free ones. Especially since I hear they are coming out with new colors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

For me it is part of the experience. Some of the limited edition ones have hidden surprises. My Kylo Ren band turns the Mickey scanners red instead of green and they make a light saber sound!
    Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring!

17. Likes VWL Mom, DisneyGiant, badkitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jforrest2 View Post
    For me it is part of the experience. Some of the limited edition ones have hidden surprises. My Kylo Ren band turns the Mickey scanners red instead of green and they make a light saber sound!
    Seriously?? That is the coolest thing ever! I need to get that for my son on our next trip. I was thinking of the getting him the Captain Phasma one, does anyone know if that does anything?
    Off Site 1973
    FW 1976
    Off Site 1987
    CB 1991
    Off Site 1996
    Off Site 1997
    WL 1998
    Off Site 1999
    Off Site 2000
    AKL 2002
    WL 2006
    BWV 2007
    AKV 2009
    Poly 2010
    AKV 2011
    WL 2011
    Pop 2012
    WL 2013
    AKV 2014
    WLV 2014
    Poly 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Valentines Day (2016) Magic Band plays a kissing sound at the turnstile with pink lighting.

Kylo Ren MagicBand plays a light saber sound with red lighting as mentioned above

A new Limited Edition MagicBand Easter band went on sale today and is said to probably make some type of lights/sounds at FastPass+ and entry touch points but no final word yet

The 2016 Epcot Flower & Garden Festival Limited Edition MagicBand went on sale February 9th, 2016 and has a special light/sound in EPCOT only like the 2015 band did.

(special thanks to magic band collectors for the above information)
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

20. Likes Genie1953, magicofdisney liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: