Quantcast Rocket Rods

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Rocket Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocket Rods

I came across a video of the Rocket Rods ride at DL on the old people mover track. Didn't last long but looked like a pretty cool ride. Has anyone done that and if so, opinions?
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

2. Thanks tinkwest thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I never did and I am so mad about it! My husband did it. He said it was cool. It broke down a LOT.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We actually got to attend a Tomorrowland preview morning the day before it opened to the public. DH won tickets on the radio. With so few people allowed in to Tomorrowland we did all of the rides in the area with little or no wait. So we went on Rocket Rods several times. We thought it was fun. It was like going on the People Mover but at higher speeds with little bursts of extra speed every now and then. And the ride vehicles were open so it was exhilarating to feel the rush of air whipping through your hair as you raced over Autopia and past the Monorail. We had a great day even though I did not like the new bronze look of everything in Tomorrowland, including Space Mountain.

We rode the Rocket Rods quite a few times over the years that it was open. The lines were ridiculous, as is usually the case with new attractions and at least once we waited for over an hour only to have the ride break down and CMs usher all of the people out of the queue. (And speaking of the queue, there were interesting props - old Tomorrowland ride vehicles - to look at and fun Walt Disney futuristic transportation animated segments to watch once you got in to the building that had formerly housed CircleVision and is now Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.) But we always had fun once we got on the ride. And the length of the track made it probably close to a three minute ride which is a good amount of time, imo.

Then suddenly it was gone. I know a lot of people complained that it could have been so much more than it was. Could have been faster. Could have had a better story within the interior corridors. But we enjoyed it the way it was (other than the fact that it was prone to breakdowns) and we still miss it AND the People Mover when we look overhead and see the lonely tracks sitting there.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

6. Thanks Lacy thanked for this post
    Likes Lacy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review of the ride, Linda. Sounds like it was fun, when it worked.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    No, I never did and I am so mad about it! My husband did it. He said it was cool. It broke down a LOT.
    That stinks it broke down a lot. Seems to have been a recurring theme. Sigh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    That stinks it broke down a lot. Seems to have been a recurring theme. Sigh
    It used Test Track technology which was obviously not really ready for prime time. And the lack of banked turns was really hard on the vehicles.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I remember waiting in line for hours... I don't remember much about the ride. It was a time before FP so standby was the only option. As Linda said, the props were cool.

I seem to recall the tires wore out quickly and it was always breaking down as others have said. I am glad I was able to experience it but I wish the People Mover was still in operation.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

We were fortunate enough to get to ride this during its brief existence. It was a pretty cool ride and I was sorry to hear it was closed down after just a brief period of time. However, I had also heard what others here have noted - that it broke down a lot. I would not have wanted to be stuck on the ride!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports - I am sad that I was never able to ride this. And like my others I wish the people mover was still operational at Disneyland or that they could do something else with the track!
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: