Quantcast How Much Is There To Do....Really?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How Much Is There To Do....Really?

On a lark, I decided to look at the number of attractions available in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. It really was a little tricky because Disney has always had a rather loose definition of "attraction." I had to make some judgement calls (for example, I consider listing the individual animal types to be found at AK as different attractions stretching it). I came up with the following:
    Walt Disney World= 75 attractions (about 19 a park)
    Disneyland Resort= 72 attractions (36 a park)
    Whaaaaaaa?????? Even with Disneyland having closed several things for building Star Wars Land, they still are within three attractions of WDW??? I suddenly feel ripped off. I guess I should have been going to Disneyland this whole time after all!
    What do you guys think?
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is not what I would have expected. You've made me want to look through the attractions at Disneyland. We would love to visit there, but it would have to coincide with being out there for a larger trip.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I didn't count the water parks since I never go to them, but still...dang!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Wow! That is not what I would have expected. You've made me want to look through the attractions at Disneyland. We would love to visit there, but it would have to coincide with being out there for a larger trip.
    We're thinking the same thing about making it part of a larger trip....It could be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I think DL is the mother ship, so combined with it's proximity to Disney imagineering it gets all the love.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    We're thinking the same thing about making it part of a larger trip....It could be fun!
    I agree! We're going to drive out to see the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce and Zion this summer, and you know I had to see how much further it would be to go to DL. Too far unfortunately.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I agree! We're going to drive out to see the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce and Zion this summer, and you know I had to see how much further it would be to go to DL. Too far unfortunately.
    We had thought about flying into San Francisco and renting a car an driving down...but it might be too far too..
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

We had thought about flying into San Francisco and renting a car an driving down...but it might be too far too..

We did that in the Summer of 2013. Started in San Fran, drove to Yosemite back to San Fran. Stayed for a few days then did Carmel, Big Sur, Moteray, Pismo Beach Sand Dunes, Santa Monica and two days at Disneyland. Was an awesome trip and the Disneland portion was well worth it. I actually find it more appealing now with the FP+ thing not being at Disneyland.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    We did that in the Summer of 2013. Started in San Fran, drove to Yosemite back to San Fran. Stayed for a few days then did Carmel, Big Sur, Moteray, Pismo Beach Sand Dunes, Santa Monica and two days at Disneyland. Was an awesome trip and the Disneland portion was well worth it. I actually find it more appealing now with the FP+ thing not being at Disneyland.
    Wow, what a trip! Gives me something to think about....

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That's been the case for awhile now. It is one of the things that frustrates me when people say that Disneyland is "too small." Sure, in terms of area in square feet, it is. But it has as much to offer as WDW in terms of attractions. The parks don't have vast stretches of walkways with nothing but shops. The attractions and shows are packed in and the parks do suffer from that, crowd wise, but it is VERY difficult to do all the attractions at DLR in even a week. I have said this before, but I have logged over 300 visits to the DLR parks. I still have not experienced every ride and show.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

12. Likes NewDVCowner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Takes about 8 hours going down highway 5 - an ugly highway that really doesn't give you anything else to look at. But, it's a pretty quick drive - at least until you get into LA, then the traffic picks up and slows you down. I live in the east bay and it's about eight hours down.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that the Magic Kingdom has the same number or more attractions than the other three theme parks combines. Would that be accurate?
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    My guess is that the Magic Kingdom has the same number or more attractions than the other three theme parks combines. Would that be accurate?
    I didn't count it that way, but it seems very accurate...

Post Thanks / Like

On a lark, I decided to look at the number of attractions available in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. It really was a little tricky because Disney has always had a rather loose definition of "attraction." I had to make some judgement calls (for example, I consider listing the individual animal types to be found at AK as different attractions stretching it). I came up with the following:
    Walt Disney World= 75 attractions (about 19 a park)
    Disneyland Resort= 72 attractions (36 a park)
    Whaaaaaaa?????? Even with Disneyland having closed several things for building Star Wars Land, they still are within three attractions of WDW??? I suddenly feel ripped off. I guess I should have been going to Disneyland this whole time after all!
    What do you guys think?
    I will preface this with I absolutely LOVE and prefer Disneyland over WDW but unfortunately live on the east coast so WDW is where we go.

I am curious as to what you counted as an 'attraction'. By my count, WDW's Magic Kingdom has 51 attractions by itself. I counted rides, shows, and designated character meet-and-greet areas (like Princess Hall, Magician Mickey, etc.). The WDW railroad only got counted once.
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

17. Thanks burrsace thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I counted rides and shows. I'm still old school enough to where I don't think a meet and greet counts. Again, judgement call on my part

Post Thanks / Like

Character meet and greets don't count at all.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Character meet and greets don't count at all.
    While I fully understand why many people don't think they should count, and if you were to ask me to count out loud the attractions at MK I would not instinctively count character meets, but the meets still have a big appeal to lots of people. Ask Anna & Elsa how long their day is if you don't believe me!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

21. Likes Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We loved Disneyland as much as Disneyworld.....we just prefer Disneyworld more due to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. We find Disneyland to be more crowded than Disneyworld but I think it just seems that way because Disneyland has a smaller footprint. We love love loved that at Disneyland we were walking in places that Walt himself had walked. We definitely preferred Disneyland Downtown Disney to Disney Springs at Disneyworld....mostly because it is more compact. Anyway.....just our opinions...
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

23. Thanks burrsace thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    While I fully understand why many people don't think they should count, and if you were to ask me to count out loud the attractions at MK I would not instinctively count character meets, but the meets still have a big appeal to lots of people. Ask Anna & Elsa how long their day is if you don't believe me!
    Characters at DL still roam freely and there seems to be more "areas" to meet/greet throughout the park. To count all of them might put the total way over MK. Just a thought.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Characters at DL still roam freely and there seems to be more "areas" to meet/greet throughout the park. To count all of them might put the total way over MK. Just a thought.
    I had that same thought!
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: