Quantcast Ten Citizens of Hollywood losing jobs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Ten Citizens of Hollywood losing jobs

From the Orlando Sentinel
    Sandra Pedicini
    Feb 29

Ten "Citizens of Hollywood," the actors who portray old-time Tinseltown characters at Walt Disney World, will lose their jobs in April.

The cuts mean the group that performs at Disney's Hollywood Studios will shrink by a third.

A spokeswoman for the Actors' Equity Association, which represents the performers, confirmed Monday 10 of the 29 will not have their contracts renewed.

Nine of the performers who will lose their jobs currently work at Disney full-time, union spokeswoman Maria Somma said. One works part-time.

Disney gave the actors notice last week. They will stop working at the end of their contract in mid-April.

A Disney spokeswoman said other entertainment will be coming to the park.

Other cuts have gone into effect as well at Disney World.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news. Some of my favourite memories of the Studios include them. ��
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

So many live acts gone! Such a shame. These acts are a large part of what sets WDW apart from a normal amusement park. No vision by management!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

The street performers are one of my favorite things about Hollywood Studios! I love relaxing in the stores and coming out to watch the performances. This is very disappointing.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    So many live acts gone! Such a shame. These acts are a large part of what sets WDW apart from a normal amusement park.
    I agree they were a part of the old MGM studios, when it was or at least still pretended to be a working studio. I never felt they fit as well once the studio stopped production, and the story line of a working studio became less pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    No vision by management!
    Actually, I think this is a time that management does have vision. The citizens of Hollywood are not exactly going to fit to well with the new Star Wars or Toy Story lands. Now if you want to quibble about timing that is a different story, I mean it seems like we are little far out from either of those lands being opened to start closing old shows and laying off actors. Particularly the ones that do not need a stage.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

7. Likes Lindsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Speedy1998 said. I, too, love the "Streetmosphere" actors. I also loved Mulch, Sweat, and Shears. But with the redirection of the park, they no longer fit? So what do you do? When they said that they were going to re-theme the park, how can anyone complain when they actually go about re-theming the park?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

No surprise here. They killed the World Showcase Players over at Epcot, and now some of those people who went over to DHS will probably be cut again. I guess they're just too entertaining. We can't have that at Disney.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

This is a real shame...anyone know which players are being eliminated?
    Gauis2001

Over 100 seperate visits since 1972!
    1st visit was before Space Mountain was built and we used ticket books to see attractions!

Post Thanks / Like

On the one hand: If they're genuinely changing the park and have a vision for such, then that's acceptable.

On the other, this just looks like one more removal of unpredictable non-utlra-controlled live entertainment by skilled performers. I dearly hope that it will be replaced by an equivalent but I will certainly not hold my breath.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: