Quantcast Are Disney Resort Fees A Possibility? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. And why should I have to pay a per-day fee for DME when I'm a "local" and do not use the service ?

Walt has to be doing backflips in his grave...
    Ed - Come on, you know how this will be spun....Locals or those who rent vehicles or drive will pay the resort fee for parking, while the rest of us will pay it for DME. See, it all works out. That's that funny Mickey Mouse Math for you.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, aren't all those things they've been advertising as justification for paying more to stay on site? And now they want us to pay separately for them? That is cheeky. I mean, who's going to answer that survey with a "Yes, I'd love to pay extra for what I'm already paying extra for."?

We have never minded paying more to stay on site, but charging separately for those things is ridiculous. Unless they give you the option to lower your room rate by that same amount if you'd like to decline. And, I also totally get that we've already been paying for these things because it's baked into the higher room rates, but a separate line item for them is bad show. If they need to raise rates to cover these costs, that's one thing, but I find that hard to believe.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I can also see having people pay seperately backfiring on them. While DME makes it easy for people visiting, face it, it's basically a way to hold people hostage on their property. "Hey, we have this great service - we'll pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Isn't that great?" Therefore people won't have access to a car, can't stop for groceries (thus needing to pay for more food at the resort) and can't drive to other theme parks and attractions - thus keeping all of their vacation money on Disney property. If they want to start charging me money to be held hostage (so to speak) I'd seriously price out the cost difference to rent a car and use that to stop for groceries, go to other Orlando parks, etc. And then I'd start thinking 'hmm, I have this car now, there's no real reason that I NEED to stay onsite. Oh, look I can stay at this other hotel, offsite, for a fracation of the cost of the Disney resort.'
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    And....will they tack on the resort fee to those who are vacation club owners???
    Keeping in mind that just converted Poly, currently converting VWL, and rumored to be doing BC/YC next they could turn it into a selling point "buy DVC and no resort fees". Similar to days when DVC had free internet and resorts didn't, they still need a gimmick to attract buyers.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

6. Likes DisneyGiant, waymickey, Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I have to pay an extra 15 a day then I will stay off site. The 15 that I am now saving goes to the parking fee at the parks. The room I would be staying in would be cheaper than onsite. Disney's resorts are going to lose some of us.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to guest relations yesterday regarding all of the price increases and cuts, the tone that I got was, thanks for your concerns, but disney is going to continue these until it gets to a point that it breaks the other way.

They blatantly told me they are pushing the market as far as they can on price and will continue to do so until people stop going.

We've decided against going next year as we had planned to.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    I spoke to guest relations yesterday regarding all of the price increases and cuts, the tone that I got was, thanks for your concerns, but disney is going to continue these until it gets to a point that it breaks the other way.

They blatantly told me they are pushing the market as far as they can on price and will continue to do so until people stop going.
    Sounds about right. Then it usually takes years to build the business back up to a normal level again.

Post Thanks / Like

We've decided against going next year as we had planned to.
    This doesn't surprise me at all. At least the person gave it to you straight.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed offsite twice this year and once on site. While I definitely liked staying on site much more I will not stay onsite if they have resort fees.

I know many will keep paying the higher prices and that is what Disney is counting on.

I also agree that Disney most likely will have DVC members not pay the fee while everyone else does to increase DVC sales.

I love Disney but they are slowly but surely pushing me out to Universal or Sea world or the FLORIDA Keys.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt that is the full truth. I am very surprised somebody in that role did not try to spin it as necessary for all the capital expenditures, increasing overhead expenses, etc. I would not expect that sort of answer to have been approved by the corporate communications department.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    No doubt that is the full truth. I am very surprised somebody in that role did not try to spin it as necessary for all the capital expenditures, increasing overhead expenses, etc. I would not expect that sort of answer to have been approved by the corporate communications department.
    To be fair he did say they were adding things like Avatar and Star Wars, my reply was that those were still years away and after years of cutting, cutting, and cutting, that I didn't believe the increases were something my family could justify. That's when he gave me the line of, pushing the price until people stop going.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I would not expect that sort of answer to have been approved by the corporate communications department.
    It certainly is not an "approved" answer, but who cares? Frankly, when I worked as a retail manager many years ago, customers would complain about something related to how our company operated and sometimes, I would agree with them and sympathize. After all, Guest Relations CMs are humans. They probably feel the same way most of us do. And there is nothing wrong with them saying stuff like this. It makes them seem approachable and honest. As long as this CM is not speaking on behalf of the company in a PR role or saying something like that to a news camera while in uniform, anything goes. I appreciate his bluntness to "PR speak." I would probably have laughed and said "Good on you for coming out and saying what we all know is true."
    Natalie

15. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I appreciate his bluntness to "PR speak." I would probably have laughed and said "Good on you for coming out and saying what we all know is true."
    Definitely. I think it is a good thing, but I have a feeling management would disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it amazing that Disney can keep the parks full, with what a week long trip to Disney now costs. And I find it insulting when a company blatantly tries to squeeze every red cent they can out of their customers, while at the same time laying off employees, and giving even less value for the monies paid. With a Disney vacation costing our family upwards of $4000 for a week, it is no longer viable or very fun going to Disney on a yearly basis, when you feel like you are being price gouged for every extra little thing. With the ever increasing prices, it is truly becoming a once in a lifetime experience for some, and maybe a overrated one at that.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally figured it out, Bob Iger is Scrooge McDuck

19. Likes waymickey, Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair he did say they were adding things like Avatar and Star Wars, my reply was that those were still years away and after years of cutting, cutting, and cutting, that I didn't believe the increases were something my family could justify. That's when he gave me the line of, pushing the price until people stop going.
    I couldn't care less about SW or Avatar.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    I couldn't care less about SW or Avatar.
    For every one who "doesn't care" there is probably one who DOES.

I couldn't care less about Avatar. I still have NO desire to see that land. But Star Wars? Yeah, that one I am pumped about because I am married to a HUGE SW fan. I myself am a fan by proxy, but I think the possibilities with Star Wars land are endless, and I think if they pull it off, it will be incredibly popular (moreso than Wizarding World of HP).
    Natalie

22. Likes Lindsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I'm not a fan at all of this.
    We've only ever been able to afford the value resorts [which we do love because we have two younger children], but at $150ish a night now, even the value's are out for us.
    Occasionally you can find the $90 a night but it's through the week and that's tough for us with school/work.

We pretty much already stay off property now at Seralago Suites in the kid suites rooms and the boys love it. AT most I've paid $65 a night with a $7 resort fee [which I'm fine with.] We can eat their buffet breakfast for $8.00 per adult [and 2 kids eat free per room]. It has a small game room with tickets/prizes. 2 nice pools, tiki bar, food court/gift shop. Right on 192 with lots of other things around.
    Yeah, as much as I love on property, I can't justify it AT all with a resort fee on the already inflated prices for a value room [that doesn't even have a freaking coffee maker].

Of course, we're local so we can drive and it's no big deal either. But even staying on property I'd often drive because it was easier when we needed to go when my ASD son was in overwhelmed/meltdown mode.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the values are out of sight. And if you have to pay hundreds each to fly, it's even worse.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

25. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can't imagine that. We'd never go if we lived out of state.
    It's a shame really that the values are so much. My boys really do love it. But man for a room to sleep in, no way. I'd rather have the extra money for nice meals or some souvenirs for the boys.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: