Quantcast Vibe/Edge - hang outs for tweens and teens (Are they strict about age?)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vibe/Edge - hang outs for tweens and teens (Are they strict about age?)

My son is turning 13 right after we get back from the cruise (well, 30 days). He is quite mature for his age (I'm sure all parents think that) and I'd like to think he can choose if he goes to the club with the younger crowd or if he can stage-up and go to the one that starts at 14.

Now, let me clarify - when I say let "him" choose - I really me WE...as in...if I think it's a good choice and he wants to he can. But if I think the kids are TOO old and TOO mature (cough cough), no way.

Our travel agent made it sound like it's up to the cast members overseeing the area. But I kind of wondered if it's tied to the Sea Pass and if you aren't the right age - it's just a flat no?

Also - I noticed that the day pass at the spa is 14+. Is that a strict rule? I really really was planning to let him have some spa treatments with dad while on board...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure of the official policy, but I know that in our experience they were quite strict about ages in the kids/tweens/teens clubs.

Sounds like he'll be 12 while actually on the cruise? I wouldn't count on him being allowed in the 14+ club.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

He won't be allowed into Vibe if he is 12. Not going to happen. At that age, he is still eligible for the KID'S club! He can definitely go to Edge (11-14) but he is still way too far away from 14 to be allowed in Vibe. There are 17 year olds in there. They don't want a 12 year old hanging out in there, no matter how mature he is. I will also throw out there, do you want your son exposed to the kind of conversations that take place among much older teens? They will talk about dating, sex, drinking, drugs, hooking up, etc. I went on cruises as a teen. My parents would have probably fainted if they knew what kinds of conversations went on in the teen club...the counselors are pretty hands off in the upper age club.

As for the Spa, it is a very strict 14 years old. No chance he will be permitted in there either.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm....I see what you are saying for sure. Though worded a bit edgier than I mightve needed - I get you. Admittedly I'm behind the 8 ball a bit in that we have NEVER cruised. And now knowing that the counselors/attendants are so hands off - that gives me a bit more info. In my mind the slightest possibility would have ONLY been if in my best assessment as to the level of engagement of the counselors and how structured the time was in there. If it's essentially a nightclub for teens as opposed to a structured/heavily monitored environment - than of course I would not want him exposed to those things. Though I felt it wasn't a likely scenario - I still wanted to ask the question. I'm more disappointed that he won't be old enough for the spa (with his dad of course!). Oh well - it's a Disney cruise - plenty to do and be happy about!

Post Thanks / Like

My DD was 12 when we went on our first cruise and she LOVED the pre-teen club. She had a lot of fun, and they did some neat things. Although still in the age for the kids clubs, she checked it out once and decided it wasn't for her.

Her favourite thing - the midnight pizza party and basketball up on desk, for 'tweens only!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

The counselors are more engaged in the Tween club for sure. I think they exist in the older teen club solely to provide adult supervision to ensure nothing inappropriate is happening. Sorry to be so blunt, but I figured you would want to know straight up what the environment can potentially be like in the teen club. Some parents really don't consider that angle at all.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think he would have more fun in oceaneers club. My son at 12 didn't spend any time in edge bc of the great stuff in oceaneers. They've refurbed to add avengers and Star Wars now and infinity. They even had some of the playmation. My 12 yr old was happy in the kids club.

Post Thanks / Like

And to chime in about the above post the teen advisors were very engaged. They directed a movie with the kids and were so involved that my kids fell in love with them. My oldest wants to be casted as a youth leader someday. But I think the biggest difference is the times. The vibe is open til 2 am some nights and I don't think they want the younger kids out that late. There's also hot tubs in there which may be a liability with younger kids.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been on several Disney cruises from when my kids were under 10 until they were teens in the Vibe (I have both a boy and girl). Hands down, their most favorite club was the Edge (tween 11-14). They counselors are experts in this transitional age and plan really fun activities that are structured but not "babish" (as my son would put it). A 12/13 year old is in that developmental phase in which having fund activities from young "cool" counselors is perfect. My kids were so attached to their Edge counselors that my daughter took picks with them, hugging them while she cried! My son wasn't as emotional, but let me tell you one thing. He has never been a social kid, and on past cruises would choose to hang out with us rather than his peer club. But during our cruise when he was in the Edge, we never saw him. He loved it. I hope your son did too!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: