Quantcast What's my "perfect" resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's my "perfect" resort?

Is there a "perfect" resort for me? Based on my criteria, which resort do you think I'd enjoy best? Interested to see your responses.

- At least two forms of transport between resort and parks (ex: monorail and bus, monorail and boat, boat and bus, OR bus but you can walk to one park or DS). And the bus doesn't take FOREVER to get around due to making too many stops.

- More of an adult resort (good spot to grab a drink is a must). Hot tub? Adult pool?

- Foodie-approved dining option at the resort that is open late (since I eat most meals in the park, I'd probably only take advantage of a drink or dessert at the end of a long day).

- Resort isn't too sprawling/huge, and it's easy to get to the parks transportation no matter where you stay on the resort.

- Resort feels lively in the evenings, with people hanging out in the common areas.

- I've always been drawn to the feel of resorts like Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Polynesian that have this sort of romantic Disney-ness to them, if you know what I mean. Never been drawn to resorts like the Grand Floridian or Beach Club that just feel like they could be a nice hotel anywhere, not necessarily at Disney.

What are your thoughts?
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

None of the resorts will be an adult resort and have an adult pool.

The resorts that have more than one mode of transportation to get to parks (though both modes of transportation do not go to the same parks or all parks) would be the resorts in the Magic Kingdom area or the Epcot area.

While you don't like the Beach Club, the Boardwalk may be better suited to you as this area has more of an adult night life component to it and has quick access to Epcot. The Boardwalk certainly has quite a few folks who will be in common areas.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

First hotel that comes to mind, based on your post, is Boardwalk.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Boardwalk was also my first thought given your list of criteria. "Adult" atmosphere is too much to ask on Disney property; everything is going to be family-oriented and family friendly. But the foodie options, nightlife, hotel size, location and transportation should be about right. And it has more of a fun theme vs. Beach Club. Second vote would be Polynesian.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and while the lobby is beautiful we did not find it to be rooms to be all that special. The balcony was small and cramped and the room not much bigger than the one we stayed at in Coronado Springs. I did enjoy hanging out it the lobby but you can visit to do that without staying there. I know you said you weren't as drawn to the Epcot resorts but we stayed at Yacht Club last trip and it is our favorite to date. The theming isn't over the top but it was other aspects that did it. First of all service from bell hop to front desk to mouse keeping was excellent. Bus service was spotty usually not too bad but we did have one issue one night trying to get to the MK for an ADR. However, the boat service that goes to Hollywood Studios was wonderful. You can also take it to Epcot, but why bother because it is a 5 minute walk to the back entrance of Epcot. There was never a long line to wait in like the front entrance which was a big plus for us. Plus you can walk to the Beach Club in less than five minutes and the Boardwalk in about five so dining options are endless. You have three resorts plus epcot's restaurants all within a 5 minute walk. In addition the beds were the most comfortable yet we slept like babies. I highly recommend it.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the Boardwalk, but I would also suggest the Contemporary - it's big, but not sprawling. It has three forms of transportation - monorail, bus, and walk to MK. I'm not sure how "adult" any Disney resort is or if the restaurants are open late, but you have The Wave and California Grill with lounges. We found the quiet pool by the Marina to have more adults than kids. And, if you stay in the Tower, it's definitely more lively with the monorail running and the shops and Chef Mickey's being open on that floor.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I also have to agree with boardwalk. In addition to what everyone else said, the Boardwalk will have a bakery, ice cream shop I believe, and street food like funnel cakes for you to devour after you return from the parks. Jellyrolls is the adult only club there. Hope it all works out!

Post Thanks / Like

Boardwalk or Contemporary would be my suggestions as well, based on your criteria.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

My "resorts" would be Poly and WL....our favorites! Neither resort is huge and easy to get from room to common areas quickly. And since we frequent the Magic Kingdom mostly, we love the ease of transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I'm going with The Boardwalk, too. The first time we stayed at The Beach Club after spending many trips in the MK area (Polynesian and The Wilderness Lodge), we weren't all that impressed with the general area. Now that we try and book our trips around the Food and Wine Festival, we can't imagine NOT staying in the Boardwalk area. The theming has really grown on us, too. Plus, it's really pretty fun around there! Lots of people walking around to Epcot and the Boardwalk. Hollywood Studios is a nice walk, as well. Last November, we stayed in WL while there for the Food and Wine. We decided on the trip very last minute and the Epcot resorts were booked. Of course we had a great time at the WL, but our Epcot visits didn't feel quite the same knowing that we couldn't just walk back to our resort whenever we felt like it.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

The Polynesian seems to be the best fit for you based on what you put out there. You have the monorail (to the MK or to Epcot via the TTC next door), bus (to AK, DHS, Disney Springs, etc), or boat launch (to MK) options for transportation. There are plenty of spots for adults to unwind, including two lounges (Trader Sam's and Tambu lounge) and a beach/pool bar. No "adult pool" but there is now a hot tub and the more adult-feeling quiet pool option.

Captain Cook's is open 24 hours and maybe not "foodie-approved" but not bad, plus there's 'Ohana, Kona Cafe, and the Kona sushi island, plus easy access to the GF and Contemporary's dining options. The resort is not sprawling or large despite being made up of several longhouses, with everything like pools and lobby in a central area, and it takes only minutes to cross the resort and walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center from the Great Ceremonial House. And finally, it is a very lively resort with plenty of people and activity in the daytime and evenings.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the Yacht Club...last time we stayed there it was hopping at night. I don't know if it was just super crowded when we went...I think there was some kind of DNC going on, but there were people hanging out at all the bars, the lobby was a happening place, haha. And you'd be in the loop to walk to Boardwalk, Epcot, Swan and Dolphin. We loved the nautical theme. And the room was amazing. It was fairly compact, so I didn't feel like we were walking 10 miles to get to the lobby. Out of all the resorts we've stayed in the Yacht Club seemed the most adult to me. We really didn't see that many families there (we've got 2 little ones who loved the pool area). The majority of the people I saw were professional types.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: